ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Maulers HC

The USFL has no plans to actually play games outside of Birmingham, Alabama, why should anyone in Pittsburgh care?

Idk I think they're going to see how much interest there is. If there is much interest then they'll play the games in those teams cities next season. I hope the league is successful.
Where would the Maulers play?

Heinz Field since football is popular here in Pittsburgh. In 1984 there was a good turn out for it.
Ok. But the Rooneys didn’t have a stranglehold over three rivers stadium then like they do Heinz field now. So NFL owners support the USFL?

Ok. But the Rooneys didn’t have a stranglehold over three rivers stadium then like they do Heinz field now. So NFL owners support the USFL?
I wouldn't see why not if they receive some of the revenue. Just speculating

Reactions: bschulter

One reason would be that a successful USFL would most likely drive up the player cost for the NFL. Not immediately, but down the road. Better to kill it off now.

Ok. I didn’t know any of the specifics. Obviously the nfl doesn’t need to feel threatened by any league. I just didn’t know if the Rooney would support such an enterprise.

Ok. I didn’t know any of the specifics. Obviously the nfl doesn’t need to feel threatened by any league. I just didn’t know if the Rooney would support such an enterprise.
If the $$$ is right anyone can be bought.

Reactions: bschulter
Just like the AAF and XFL2.0, the USFL and The Rock's version of the XFL are hoping that people will watch these games because they bet on them.

Reactions: pierre93
The original Maulers drew 50K for the opener with Birmingham (WEEP for Stoudt), then never reached 25k for any of the final eight home games. The successful USFL teams either had good defenses or very good QB play. The Maulers had neither and they won just 3 games. Games were fun to attend though. Whatever this incarnation is, it isn't the PITTSBURGH Maulers. They will never catch on.

Just like the AAF and XFL2.0, the USFL and The Rock's version of the XFL are hoping that people will watch these games because they bet on them.
Agree, betting is a big piece of the puzzle.

Wasn't there some massive ticket snafu that destroyed attendance for the Maulers? A family friend had season tickets. I remember that he promised my dad and I tickets for a game or 2 late in the season. Something crazy happened where a bunch of season ticket holders got swindled. I remember the guy being so pissed that he refused to go to any more games and even refused to sell them to my dad and I. He led some sort of boycot.

Does anybody know what team He Hate Me is playing for?

he-hate-mejpg.jpg

This league had to be so watered down now as a result of the practice squads.

Wasn't there some massive ticket snafu that destroyed attendance for the Maulers? A family friend had season tickets. I remember that he promised my dad and I tickets for a game or 2 late in the season. Something crazy happened where a bunch of season ticket holders got swindled. I remember the guy being so pissed that he refused to go to any more games and even refused to sell them to my dad and I. He led some sort of boycot.
Weren’t they giving tickets away? My Cub Scout troop went when the Maulers got light up by Jim Kelly’s Houston Gamblers, I remember it being pretty empty.

Pitt Stadium oh never mind. CMU? Duquesne? RMU? North Hills HS

Weren’t they giving tickets away? My Cub Scout troop went when the Maulers got light up by Jim Kelly’s Houston Gamblers, I remember it being pretty empty.
Yes they did. I know the season tickets were really inexpensive. I remember my dad asking the guy how he could buy a ticket and just eat it? He just replied that he didn't care because it was only 20 bucks. I don't know if that was the per seat ticket price or both? I know we couldn't afford Steeler tix at that time and wanted to just check out 3RS. My dad got cub scout tix for free but he was a pack host so he didn't want to use them because he feared how it would look to the others.

They gave away seats by the bushel. I wrote them a letter saying how much fun the games were and they sent me two freebies as a thank you.

One reason would be that a successful USFL would most likely drive up the player cost for the NFL. Not immediately, but down the road. Better to kill it off now.
This USFL is low budget, like players getting like $400/game plus bonuses from what I heard, it's more to get video on record to send to NFL scouts.

This USFL is low budget, like players getting like $400/game plus bonuses from what I heard, it's more to get video on record to send to NFL scouts.
I saw the pay structure on Facebook, all players get $45K + bonuses for winning games, for the 10 game season, practice squad guys get $15K for the season, so they're not competing with the NFL at this point.

I saw the pay structure on Facebook, all players get $45K + bonuses for winning games, for the 10 game season, practice squad guys get $15K for the season, so they're not competing with the NFL at this point.
That's what I said.

No way the NFL wants to let it get any momentum, it will do whatever possible to hamper it's success right out of the gate.

The best league we have had since the USFL folded was NFL Europe. Those games were awesome to follow, probably because they were based in London, Barcelona, Frankfurt, etc. It just gave it a cool vibe that an American-based league hasn’t been able to offer since. NFL teams could allocate players to the league too. I remember watching Jon Kitna, Kurt Warner, Adam Vinatieri and many others. One of the Madden games even had all of the teams and players.

That's what I said.

No way the NFL wants to let it get any momentum, it will do whatever possible to hamper it's success right out of the gate.
Or they could end up partnering with them and sending their practice squad guys to go play there.

Why would they do that? This league isn't going to be any threat to the NFL basically ever. But it will allow a bunch of end of roster / practice squad type guys get practices, play games, and have film that NFL teams can watch. NFL scouting departments would absolutely love a league like this if they could make it work.

Why would they do that? This league isn't going to be any threat to the NFL basically ever. But it will allow a bunch of end of roster / practice squad type guys get practices, play games, and have film that NFL teams can watch. NFL scouting departments would absolutely love a league like this if they could make it work.
That's why they might even partner with them eventually, to send guys there to play.

Zero chance.

Fantasy and betting relies on a level of information sophistication that you don't have here: you likely won't have player news, injury updates, third-party sites giving recommendations and feedback, and on and on. There's an industrial complex that isn't in place and in the absence of that, users won't intuit an edge and without that, there's no real reason to bet and certainly less so in the absence of any real team allegiances.

Believe me, I know -- we tried this with so many things. Drone racing. Indoor lacrosse. It won't work. The only people who think it will are the nepotistic idiots who run the TV networks.

Semi-related, the betting market itself is such a bloodbath right now. Only FanDuel and DraftKings will survive. Everyone else is bleeding money beyond anything I could ever imagine.

Maulers by far the USFL worst team, it was like a Yinzer wet dream though, their defense was decent, run the ball 90% of the time, only 3 WRs on the roster, run on 3rd and 9 when you're averaging 2.8 yards per carry.

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
Maulers off to a hell of a start… firing players over pizza… blown out 17-3…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT