ADVERTISEMENT

Play calling

Cignetti has been disappointing. The question is on his own or instructions from Narduzzi.
It was an uninspired hire from the start. I just think it was a safe hire after having so much transition at OC over the years. I would've rather taken a chance on an OC with a more modern take on the college offense.

Our OC lost his dad a couple hours before the game.

How would you have done at your job a couple hours after your dad died?

He gets a 100% pass for this game. And you should be better than calling him "moronic" given his situation today.

That he showed up for work at all... and had his offense put up 400+ yds and 27 points while playing half the game with a backup QB, and half of that with a one-legged backup QB... is game ball worthy.

Shame on Pitt fans attacking Cignetti Jr. *today*.

No offense, but that's just dumb. Much like if Patti wasn't up to doing the job after he got hurt he should have been replaced, if Cignetti was not up to doing his job he should have handed it off to someone else.

The notion that it's OK to do a shitty job because a family member passed away is ridiculous.

And if you really think that calling essentially the same play on 15 of 16 first down plays in the second half is game ball worthy, you really maybe ought to stop commenting at all, because you are exposing your own serious lack of understanding.

Definitely needed to try some screens in 2nd half. Abanikanda is good in space and Tennessee had 10 guys within 10 yards of line of scrimmage most of second half. Potentially big chunk plays

No offense, but that's just dumb. Much like if Patti wasn't up to doing the job after he got hurt he should have been replaced, if Cignetti was not up to doing his job he should have handed it off to someone else.

The notion that it's OK to do a shitty job because a family member passed away is ridiculous.

And if you really think that calling essentially the same play on 15 of 16 first down plays in the second half is game ball worthy, you really maybe ought to stop commenting at all, because you are exposing your own serious lack of understanding.
Yeah, it’s hard to believe there isn’t more discussion if not disdain for the the same call on 1st down that entire 2nd period.

Posters getting on Patti and he definitely doesn’t look as good as Slovis but, make no mistake, Cignetti’s play-calling did him no favors. Rather, it set him up to fail on all those 2nd and 3rd and long passing situations.

Reactions: CCHS82 and gary2
Yeah, it’s hard to believe there isn’t more discussion if not disdain for the the same call on 1st down that entire 2nd period.

Posters getting on Patti and he definitely doesn’t look as good as Slovis but, make no mistake, Cignetti’s play-calling did him no favors. Rather, it set him up to fail on all those 2nd and 3rd and long passing situations.
Yeah I really have a hard time blaming patti. He was hurt and he isn’t as good as slovis but is serviceable. I understand he wasnt going to be mobile but you can’t pt him in 2nd and long every series and expect success

Strawman, nobody said it's ok to do a shitty job.

It's ok to recognize that maybe he wasn't completely zoned in and on top of his game.

We still scored 27, put up over 400 yards on offense, and lost in overtime. It's not like the offense was terrible.

There were reasons he changed the gameplan in the 2nd half, and most of it had to do with injuries.

Reactions: UPitt '89
Yeah I really have a hard time blaming patti. He was hurt and he isn’t as good as slovis but is serviceable. I understand he wasnt going to be mobile but you can’t pt him in 2nd and long every series and expect success

Who says it wouldn't be second and long if they threw? A QB on one leg with an OL who couldn't protect him. He'll, half his throws were miraculous plays to just get the ball away without being sacked.

I get that Monday morning QB is the easiest job.

Reactions: chirurgo
Strawman, nobody said it's ok to do a shitty job.

Well he did a shitty job, and the other poster said that he gets a 100% pass for it.

Which means that you don't know what a strawman is?

There is no problem with changing your gameplan in the second half if your starting quarterback gets hurt. There is a problem with running essentially the same play on first down 16 times in a row. If you think that's a good offensive strategy we will have to agree to disagree.

Although I am pretty sure that the Tennessee defensive staff was really happy with our play calling, so there is that.

Reactions: CCHS82
Well he did a shitty job, and the other poster said that he gets a 100% pass for it.

Which means that you don't know what a strawman is?

There is no problem with changing your gameplan in the second half if your starting quarterback gets hurt. There is a problem with running essentially the same play on first down 16 times in a row. If you think that's a good offensive strategy we will have to agree to disagree.

Although I am pretty sure that the Tennessee defensive staff was really happy with our play calling, so there is that.

Apparently you don't know the definition of shitty.

Apparently you don't know the definition of shitty.

So you think that calling essentially the same play on 15 of 16 first down plays in the second half, that was only not 16 of 16 because of a play getting called back on a penalty, is an example of good play calling? Play calling that "worked" to the tune of minus four yards on the last seven of those plays combined?

If you want a definition of shitty play calling, yesterday second half fits the bill perfectly.

Cignetti didn't help, but Patti can't throw every ball at 100 mph and his accuracy left a lot to be desired.

So you think that calling essentially the same play on 15 of 16 first down plays in the second half, that was only not 16 of 16 because of a play getting called back on a penalty, is an example of good play calling? Play calling that "worked" to the tune of minus four yards on the last seven of those plays combined?

If you want a definition of shitty play calling, yesterday second half fits the bill perfectly.

What happened in those other 2nd half drives you choose to ignore when quoting 1st down yardage? There were reasons why things happened as they did, but you don't care to acknowledge.

Surprised they don't make you OC. Easy to play Sunday morning QB with stats and no context.

What happened in those other 2nd half drives you choose to ignore when quoting 1st down yardage?

I'm not ignoring any second half drives. I have literally accounted for all of them.

Maybe the problem here is that you have no idea what actually happened in the game?

Cignetti didn't help, but Patti can't throw every ball at 100 mph and his accuracy left a lot to be desired.
I did say Patti wasn’t as good as Slovis. And I agree with your ‘throw every ball at 100 mph’ comment. Reminds me of an early years Pickett in that regard. Kenny threw everything like that as well in his early years, no touch at all on the short throws.

But by the same token, Cignetti did him no favors.

What happened in those other 2nd half drives you choose to ignore when quoting 1st down yardage? There were reasons why things happened as they did, but you don't care to acknowledge.

Surprised they don't make you OC. Easy to play Sunday morning QB with stats and no context.
I think Cignetti got bailed out by his players probymore than anything he did. The 4th down TD to send it to OT after being 1st n goal at the 5 was alll Patti and Wayne. I don’t know what we were doing on the 1st 3 downs…we’ll we know on 1st down, same as the prior 15 1st downs.

Had the 1 good screen pass call that Izzy turned into a good gain.

I'm not ignoring any second half drives. I have literally accounted for all of them.

Maybe the problem here is that you have no idea what actually happened in the game?

I'm talking about your -4 yards in last whatever number of drives. What happened on this first down runs the other 8 drives? They gained about 50 yards on those 1st down runs.

Then the 2nd QB was crippled, while playing behind a patchwork line, who then lost their center. What happened was QB preservation.

Done with this. Have at it.

I'm talking about your -4 yards in last whatever number of drives. What happened on this first down runs the other 8 drives? They gained about 50 yards on those 1st down runs.

Actually it was 40 yards. And 25 of them came on one play, the second of the runs.

It's almost as if the more we ran the same plays the less likely they were to work.

Cignetti has been disappointing. The question is on his own or instructions from Narduzzi.

No he hasn’t. Not if you look at the totality or his career.

He’s a JAG OC. Has always been a JAG. And I’d say has performed up to this point as a JAG.

I don’t think anyone is critical of Patti - honestly .
He’s not as good as slovis which is why we brought in a transfer to start

To be fair BC’s offense last year looked a hell of a lot better than it does this year. They look flat out lousy.

Patti was obviously injured and couldn't move well so they were trying to protect him/had no confidence in his ability to make a passing play
Play calling killed any chance of developIng an effective offensive attack. same old school boring Off tackle play to begin each series. On the defensive side of the ball, Tenn ran the same flat pass play three times in the row in overtime without Pitt adjusting. Love to have seen just one check at the line of scrimmage instead of playing 10 yards off the receiver.

Criticize the play calling all you want. As a staff, I think they did what they felt they needed to do to stay in the game. I fully expected Pitt to get trucked the second half.

Going forward, FCJ is going to have to scheme to better protect the QB. Also, there isn't an OC in the country that's going to look great with this material. The OL is average & our recievers blow. There is a reason the staff is running around bringing in guys like Bub Means at the last minute. And JA probably knew he would have been double teamed every week playing with this group, so let's not even go there blaming him. This was a huge recruiting deficiency.

That 100% pass just completely destroyed PItt's season and chance to be in the top 10 for the first time in 13 years.

No pass at all. From day one I said it was a bad hire and he has proved it so far.
Don’t forget to grab your “ Dumbass for a Day” award 🥇 on your way out Kenny

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT