ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Phillips should issue a statement

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Like the Big East did. Here, he can just copy this. I'd go scorched Earth. I think we've reached this point. This is every year now with the ACC and MWC.

"We would like to congratulate UNC, Duke, Clemson, and NC State on their advancement to the Sweet 16. The ACC has proven time and time again in the NCAA Tournament that it is the best basketball conference in the country. Our 8-1 record thus far further proves that point. While other conferences are deliberately gaming the NET to maximize bids and continually perform very poorly when it counts year after year, the ACC continues to prove that games in March are won on the court, not in computers. While we have great respect for the tournament committee, it was a serious error this year to omit a Pitt team that finished 4th in our league and was playing some of the best basketball in the country the last 2 months. And while Wake Forest seemed to be further away, I have no doubt that they were a better basketball team than many of the teams who were selected. The fact that 3 of their November losses came before one of their best players gained eligibility proves this.
Unfortunately, these teams did not get to represent the league and although we have continued to prove that we play the best basketball in the nation, we will have to look at different ways to ensure that our teams have the computer numbers that the committee looks for because it has become clear that the computers have become a far more important measure of a team than actually watching teams play."

Last edited:
The committee got it right. Perfect matchups for sweet 16. All bubble teams essentially gone. Pitt was in until massive bid stealers. A fluke year, but they did really well.

The committee got it right. Perfect matchups for sweet 16. All bubble teams essentially gone. Pitt was in until massive bid stealers. A fluke year, but they did really well.

Should have been in over:

UVa
Boise
Colorado St
Colorado
Dayton
FAU
Others like NW even

Also, Pitt was pretty far back. To make it, we needed 4 W's on Saturday (because they aren't basketball people and dont watch games)

UNC over NC St
Col over Ore
SDSU over UNM
FAU over Temple and then win on Sunday

We went 0-4.

Like the Big East did. Here, he can just copy this. I'd go scorched Earth. I think we've reached this point. This is every year now with the ACC and MWC.

"We would like to congratulate UNC, Duke, Clemson, and NC State on their advancement to the Sweet 16. The ACC has proven time and time again in the NCAA Tournament that it is the best basketball conference in the country. Our 8-1 record thus far further proves that point. While other conferences are deliberately gaming the NET to maximize bids and continually perform very poorly when it counts year after year, the ACC continues to prove that games in March are won on the court, not in computers. While we have great respect for the tournament committee, it was a serious error this year to omit a Pitt team that finished 4th in our league and was playing some of the best basketball in the country the last 2 months. And while Wake Forest seemed to be further away, I have no doubt that they were a better basketball team than many of the teams who were selected. The fact that 3 of their November losses came before one of their best players gained eligibility proves this.
Unfortunately, these teams did not get to represent the league and although we have continued to prove that we play the best basketball in the nation, we will have to look at different ways to ensure that our teams have the computer numbers that the committee looks for because it has become clear that the computers have become a far more important measure of a team than actually watching teams play."

WTF?

Jim Phillips has over half his league looking for the nearest exit to get the hell out of the ACC. You think he should further make an ass of himself?

Should have been in over:

UVa
Boise
Colorado St
Colorado
Dayton
FAU
Others like NW even

Also, Pitt was pretty far back. To make it, we needed 4 W's on Saturday (because they aren't basketball people and dont watch games)

UNC over NC St
Col over Ore
SDSU over UNM
FAU over Temple and then win on Sunday

We went 0-4.
I wholly agree Pitt was better than most teams on bubble, but from a resume and net perspective they were where they should have been with their NCSOS. UNC beats NCsT most games. Colorado put up 102 on Florida and had already beaten Oregon twice. SDSU had no business losing to UNM nor did FAU have any business losing to Temple. Dayton also blow their tourney. So really 0-5 in games needed to go their way, when their was like a 0.1 chance of that happening. And Pitt was still right there. Pitt was way better than Virginia. I agree. It sucks we had to watch that. But if they clearly aren’t counting the last part of season, their fate was already made, not that the committee intentionally left them out.

Let it go, man. Let it go.

WTF?

Jim Phillips has over half his league looking for the nearest exit to get the hell out of the ACC. You think he should further make an ass of himself?
Well one of the reasons why is the ACC has been so passive in their PR and defense of their league.

It amazes me how this backwoods leagued pulled of the Big East raid in 2003. Amazes me after we got to go behind the curtain and see how this league operates.

WTF?

I don't have a problem with a statement like that. It's time the ACC leadership demonstrates they are in fact leaders. Sending out a communication like that get's the attention of different leagues thinking that the ACC is a sleep at the wheel.

Well one of the reasons why is the ACC has been so passive in their PR and defense of their league.

It amazes me how this backwoods leagued pulled of the Big East raid in 2003. Amazes me after we got to go behind the curtain and see how this league operates.

It's not a backwoods league at all.

Football is the driving force behind the changing landscape & the ACC just isn't made up of football schools.

Just like the Big East 20 years ago, this league just doesn't have much leverage.

The Big 10 & SEC have already fed off the carcasses of the Big 12 & Pac 12. To it's credit, the ACC lasted longer than those leagues without major losses. Appears it's time is coming soon though.

I don't have a problem with a statement like that. It's time the ACC leadership demonstrates they are in fact leaders. Sending out a communication like that get's the attention of different leagues thinking that the ACC is a sleep at the wheel.

A statement like that would certainly get a lot of laughs.

The statement should also include an apology for letting Virginia represent the conference in the tournament this year and that their level of play is not indicative of the level of ACC basketball.

Reactions: FireballZ
The statement should also include an apology for letting Virginia represent the conference in the tournament this year and that their level of play is not indicative of the level of ACC basketball.

Literally laughed at loud on that one. We're just not going to touch UVa though.

I wholly agree Pitt was better than most teams on bubble, but from a resume and net perspective they were where they should have been with their NCSOS. UNC beats NCsT most games. Colorado put up 102 on Florida and had already beaten Oregon twice. SDSU had no business losing to UNM nor did FAU have any business losing to Temple. Dayton also blow their tourney. So really 0-5 in games needed to go their way, when their was like a 0.1 chance of that happening. And Pitt was still right there. Pitt was way better than Virginia. I agree. It sucks we had to watch that. But if they clearly aren’t counting the last part of season, their fate was already made, not that the committee intentionally left them out.

There is no set rule that you have to play a great non-con. I understand that the NCAA really values it but when teams are on the bubble, you can make cases for or against anyone.

Boise: only went 20-10, which isnt a very good record if you play in the 7th best NET league.

Dayton: 0 wins vs the field. 3rd in league. Bad SOS

FAU: 2 Q4 losses and Temple was another extremely close to Q4.

Then you can make cases for Pitt. You could easily make cases for or against all of these teams.

The committee overvalues November. November was bad for Pitt (Mizzou and no big wins) and Wake (3 losses without Efton Reid) so they didnt make it. They dont HAVE TO overweight November. But they do.

Reactions: SteelBowl70

I dont agree with TD here. Yes, everyone in the ACC would love a P2 invite and would leave tomorrow if they could but that doesnt mean you dont do your job until it happens. Strike while the iron is hot. This MWC over ACC narrative needs to stop and ESPN needs to do a better job pumping up the league. I dont even agree with everything I wrote as I still think the SEC and B12 are better but you have to show the belief you have in your league. Jeff Capel has continually said that he feels people are taking shots at the ACC now since K and Roy left. I dont know if that's true but its time to change the narrative. The ACC needs to get better but its a crime that Pitt wasnt in this tournament. I would guess the metrics showed we were a Top 15 team the last 2 months. But the MWC got in 55% of their league. They need to be limited to SDSU + 1 or 2 going forward.

Its actually getting harder the more I watch. Was there Thursday and you cant convince me Pitt wasnt better than all 8 of those teams.

I think that while watching some of these games.

It's also possible that we could have ran into a team that could have beat us by 20.

Teams like Northwestern and TCU... bad.

Teams like Texas A&M... good.

I think that while watching some of these games.

It's also possible that we could have ran into a team that could have beat us by 20.

Teams like Northwestern and TCU... bad.

Teams like Texas A&M... good.

No one would have beaten this team by 20. We were playing like a Top 15 team. Looking back to even the Dixon days, how many of those teams were playing as well as this team? The #1 seeds, sure. But beyond that, not sure there were many. In my mind, we were a 4 or 5 seed that would have only been placed in Dayton due to our lackluster start.

As for TCU, I rooted hard for them vs Utah State but it was tough. They weren't good at all. Dixon is a freaking magician to get that team to the tournament.

Reactions: Atilla Cosby
I dont agree with TD here. Yes, everyone in the ACC would love a P2 invite and would leave tomorrow if they could but that doesnt mean you dont do your job until it happens. Strike while the iron is hot. This MWC over ACC narrative needs to stop and ESPN needs to do a better job pumping up the league. I dont even agree with everything I wrote as I still think the SEC and B12 are better but you have to show the belief you have in your league. Jeff Capel has continually said that he feels people are taking shots at the ACC now since K and Roy left. I dont know if that's true but its time to change the narrative. The ACC needs to get better but its a crime that Pitt wasnt in this tournament. I would guess the metrics showed we were a Top 15 team the last 2 months. But the MWC got in 55% of their league. They need to be limited to SDSU + 1 or 2 going forward.
Do you have a problem with reading and comprehension. I was agreeing with your original post - and not once did I mention the ACC teams wouldn't want an invite to the big 2 leagues.
A statement like that would certainly get a lot of laughs.
Well that's your opinion - what can't be laughed at is the number of teams the ACC has in the Sweet 16.

No one would have beaten this team by 20. We were playing like a Top 15 team. Looking back to even the Dixon days, how many of those teams were playing as well as this team? The #1 seeds, sure. But beyond that, not sure there were many. In my mind, we were a 4 or 5 seed that would have only been placed in Dayton due to our lackluster start.

As for TCU, I rooted hard for them vs Utah State but it was tough. They weren't good at all. Dixon is a freaking magician to get that team to the tournament.

Agree to disagree. Those past Pitt teams had much better wins.

Reactions: TD_6082

and what happens if the ACC takes an O'fer in the next round? I mean just because you live your entire existence here in a perpetual state of egg on your face does not mean you need to impart that on to others...

and what happens if the ACC takes an O'fer in the next round? I mean just because you live your entire existence here in a perpetual state of egg on your face does not mean you need to impart that on to others...
Looking at the matchups the conference may do an 0'fer. And as one who hates the ACC, I would welcome it.

Then they'll still come out ahead of your Big Pretend, Nitwit.

Reactions: sonofabit
Looking at the matchups the conference may do an 0'fer. And as one who hates the ACC, I would welcome it.
When I read your posts and look at your avatar, I occasionally wonder to myself about how often you likely get tartar sauce lost in your mustache and your family has to tell you. Are you Pittsburgh Dad? You are the perfect encapsulation of a yinzer.

Lol. Wake Forest beat this team 91-58 on February 20. Wake is a NIT team.

This team beat ONE team that finished in the final Top 25 rankings - Duke, down 2 starters.

Dixon had SEVERAL teams playing at a much higher level than this team.

This team started playing with purpose offensively. They shared the ball and got good guard play. They pretty much maxed out their potential, but they were always a very flawed team. Relied too much on the 3, questionable shot selection at times, weak inside, and inconsistent defensively.

Pitt was a quality team. Very fun to watch and dangerous if multiple players had the hot hand. Still never got wins over really good competition. Go back and refresh your memory of how many really good wins Dixon's teams had during his glory years. This team doesn't even begin to compare. Regardless of how the post season played out, TWO #1 seeds in three years is damn strong.

And yet they somehow finished 3rd in the regular season.

Virginia's incompetence is the only reason NC State is in the tournament.

I would be surprised if Bama beat UNC

I think Clemson & NC State will probably lose.

Duke & Houston is intriguing. Duke has the talent, but for the most part, I think they play soft. I could seem them winning here though.

I would be surprised if Bama beat UNC

I think Clemson & NC State will probably lose.

Duke & Houston is intriguing. Duke has the talent, but for the most part, I think they play soft. I could seem them winning here though.
Agree. One win in my mind is the most likely scenario.

When I read your posts and look at your avatar, I occasionally wonder to myself about how often you likely get tartar sauce lost in your mustache and your family has to tell you. Are you Pittsburgh Dad? You are the perfect encapsulation of a yinzer.
Aren't you the funny guy. No, my mustache is always free of food, I am not Pittsburgh Guy, and have no problem being called a yinzer. I wear it as a badge of honor.

Fine. But you can't argue my statement because it's 100% factual.

UVa has a great coach and were nearly unbeatable in the old version of college basketball. In this new version, they are still going to go to the NCAAT a ton due to coaching but they will always have very low talent levels. Bennett isnt going to be able to get and retain talent in today's game

[
UVa has a great coach and were nearly unbeatable in the old version of college basketball. In this new version, they are still going to go to the NCAAT a ton due to coaching but they will always have very low talent levels. Bennett isnt going to be able to get and retain talent in today's game

UVA will continue to get the 50-100 guys that are passed over by the blue bloods.

Yeah, I was impressed with Colorado. Nice team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT