ADVERTISEMENT

Please explain the fascination with Earl Grant.

KR519

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2001
I get that he is young, but other than that I don't see ANYTHING that screams ACC coach.

He has 4 years of head coaching experience and all of those are in the CAA. The CAA isn't quite the NEC (sorry if that upsets the Andy Toole supporters), but it isn't a great conference. According to some of the conference rankings I was just looking at, it is comparable to the MAC this year. Call me crazy, but I'd like to see a guy prove himself at a higher level than the CAA before going to the ACC. His next set should be the AAC or C-USA or A-10, not the ACC. Look at what Hurley did going from Wagner to Rhode Island. To me, that is the next logical step for Grant.

I would be curious to know how many that are pushing for him have actually watched a Charleston game this season. Are you aware that he plays a VERY slow style of basketball? Charleston ranked 324 out of 351 in Adjusted Tempo this season, but they aren't a shutdown defensive team like Virginia who ranked 351 of 351, Charleston ranked 167 of 351 on defensive efficiency. Virginia ranked 1 of 351 in defensive efficiency.

I'm not saying that Earl Grant won't be a big time head coach in the future. I am just saying that I would like to see more from him before I give him the reigns of an ACC job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News