ADVERTISEMENT

Pochettino!!!???

Big fan of his work with Spurs. Doesn't have a lot of international experience (never coached, only played 20 senior games) but he'll have some time to get his system set up.

Surprised he took this over getting another big club job.

What a coup, about the best I could've hoped for, WOW. Hayes and Poch is a great combo
Also love that the federation was decisive and got him now. As I saw at Chelsea, it will take time for the team to peak. The funny thing is though, our talent pool is small. Aside from some players here and there, we know our core. At Chelsea with squad sizes so large and depth charts so deep, getting the right combinations with the right system is quite a challenge. With the US, it shouldn’t be difficult.

I wonder if they will require him to live in Chicago or Atlanta.

Reactions: 121rum
Seems very credentialed. How would the soccer fiends on the board describe his style of coaching/play?

Seems very credentialed. How would the soccer fiends on the board describe his style of coaching/play?

One of his major influences is Marcelo Bielsa, who is from the same province in Argentina and worked with him at Newell's Old Boys.

Here you go, man. I really don’t think he has a particular philosophy. It depends on his squad. He’s a popular and respected coach by peers and players. Is he a masterclass like Klopp or Pep? No. But he’s top 15 in Europe and some might say top 10. He’s light years ahead of anyone we’ve had or will get. He took a club like Spurs with modest talent to #2 in the EPL and a champions league final. He won a title at PSG, the biggest club in France, coaching a front three of Neymar, Mbappe and Messi. He was brought there to win a champions league but didn’t. But that club never does.

I think he will play in a back 4 with the fullbacks getting forward and the guys like Johnny and Tyler Adams dropping to cover when they do so. He likes building out from the back, which Berhalter did to. So the team is used to that. But I don’t think he’s married to it either. In the front he will look to press.

He’s coached at the highest levels and while he’s never coaches internationally, he knows all the players and levels of teams we will see in the knockout rounds. He coached at Spurs, PSG, Chelsea and was recently being considered at Man United. These are some of the biggest clubs in the world. And there was rumor that England was considering him, which is obviously a better job. But maybe he was told they are not interested so he jumped at this opportunity. Who knows?

All I know is he’s the best we ever got and likely ever will. It’s ambitious for our federation. It also helps that he worked in England with the guy who runs our federation.

Also love that the federation was decisive and got him now. As I saw at Chelsea, it will take time for the team to peak. The funny thing is though, our talent pool is small. Aside from some players here and there, we know our core. At Chelsea with squad sizes so large and depth charts so deep, getting the right combinations with the right system is quite a challenge. With the US, it shouldn’t be difficult.

I wonder if they will require him to live in Chicago or Atlanta.
Espn article said there’s a settlement at Chelsea that needs to be completed before he can sign the contract. My Blues and the American owners better get on the ball because the US has matches in September during the international window.

The article also said Poch won’t have to move to the US because he can watch all of our players play in Europe every week. . Now why in the world would he not want to live here and scout our MLS players? Haha.

Espn article said there’s a settlement at Chelsea that needs to be completed before he can sign the contract. My Blues and the American owners better get on the ball because the US has matches in September during the international window.

The article also said Poch won’t have to move to the US because he can watch all of our players play in Europe every week. . Now why in the world would he not want to live here and scout our MLS players? Haha.

I'm guessing there are guys now in MLS who will be on the team in 26. But I get your point.

I think he'll let the interim staff coach the team while he'll be in more of an observing role

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Thank you both. Sounds like a no doubter selection, which means that it's now up to the players to show whether they can put it together. Excited to see what happens.
Here’s a really good article where three talking heads grade the hire and give their opinions. They say a lot of what I said to you a couple of days ago but do it so much better. I also like at the end where they compare our team player to player, to Poch’s Spurs team that he took to the champions league Final. There are some really profound similarities.

Check out this story from Fox Sports

Reactions: nycpanther98
Big fan of his work with Spurs. Doesn't have a lot of international experience (never coached, only played 20 senior games) but he'll have some time to get his system set up.

Surprised he took this over getting another big club job.
Funny that cup competitions are said to be a proven strength. Getting Spurs to the UCL is impressive and he did get Chelsea to Wembley twice in his first year (league cup and FA Cup). But none of those yielded trophies.

It’s also universally believed that we have the best manager in the entire international soccer world. Well, him or Nagelsman.

Reactions: brdst11
Funny that cup competitions are said to be a proven strength. Getting Spurs to the UCL is impressive and he did get Chelsea to Wembley twice in his first year (league cup and FA Cup). But none of those yielded trophies.

It’s also universally believed that we have the best manager in the entire international soccer world. Well, him or Nagelsman.

He got Spurs through two of those CL rounds without Harry Kane.

Handball early in the final was just too much to overcome.

Poch is officially appointed
Let’s see what he can do. I love the guy but not sure he can draw blood from this stone.

Btw, the Chelsea thing….the two owners at Chelsea are at odds and it mainly stems from the Poch firing. Eghbali submitted an 18 page document on why Poch needed sacked. Todd Boehly disagreed and wanted Poch to stay.

Another Chelsea nugget because I think it’s relevant as a Pitt fan. They have a stadium problem. When the owners bought the club, I wondered how they were going to be successful because a new stadium is imperative and there’s really no logical way to rebuild on the Stamford Bridge site. Well there is, but it’s really really difficult and not even Roman Abramovich was able to get a deal done for the stadium. So they are looking at a site at Earls Court but the Chelsea Supporters Trust doesnt want to move away from Stamford Bridge. The whole thing is a mess and frankly it makes me feel the same way as I do as a Pitt fan…where an on campus stadium is essentially an impossibility. So it’s funny that being a chelsea fan is completely a different experience than being a Pirate fan. But unfortunately it feels a lot like being a Pitt fan.

Reactions: brdst11
I usually don’t find much value in ESPN regarding soccer reporting…but for the USMNT they will do. Here’s a pretty good summation of the Pochettino hire. Lengthy article but very informative on how we were able to get him, how he will be paid, where he will live and what the expectations are.

At least they briefed Boehly very well on how he was not going to get public money for any new stadium project so his people didn’t make asses of themselves like the Glasers did when they demanded public funds to build a new Old Trafford and pretty much got booed out of the room.

Let’s see what he can do. I love the guy but not sure he can draw blood from this stone.

Btw, the Chelsea thing….the two owners at Chelsea are at odds and it mainly stems from the Poch firing. Eghbali submitted an 18 page document on why Poch needed sacked. Todd Boehly disagreed and wanted Poch to stay.

Another Chelsea nugget because I think it’s relevant as a Pitt fan. They have a stadium problem. When the owners bought the club, I wondered how they were going to be successful because a new stadium is imperative and there’s really no logical way to rebuild on the Stamford Bridge site. Well there is, but it’s really really difficult and not even Roman Abramovich was able to get a deal done for the stadium. So they are looking at a site at Earls Court but the Chelsea Supporters Trust doesnt want to move away from Stamford Bridge. The whole thing is a mess and frankly it makes me feel the same way as I do as a Pitt fan…where an on campus stadium is essentially an impossibility. So it’s funny that being a chelsea fan is completely a different experience than being a Pirate fan. But unfortunately it feels a lot like being a Pitt fan.

They cant tear it down and build on the same site?

They cant tear it down and build on the same site?
They are limited because the stadium butts up against railroad. And then there are ordinances and residents that need addressed. One major one is that they are not allowed to build any higher. And the only way to expand normally is to go higher. So how do you add 30,000 seats without doing so? You have to go lower and build the stadium back up. And that’s not easily accomplished. There’s a reason why Roman wasn’t able to get a new stadium after years of trying. One of the conditions of the new ownership group was to execute a plan that results in a competitive revenue generating stadium. And outside of moving, I don’t know how they think they can get it done. There is a renovation plan where they’d do a tiered rebuild like Real Madrid did. They’d have to move to Wembley for a few years. But it seems to me like that plan is incredibly cost prohibitive.

I usually don’t find much value in ESPN regarding soccer reporting…but for the USMNT they will do. Here’s a pretty good summation of the Pochettino hire. Lengthy article but very informative on how we were able to get him, how he will be paid, where he will live and what the expectations are.

According to the article on the Athletic, US Soccer had their first in person interview with Pochettino (that ESPN refers to in their story) two days after they fired Burp. So they zeroed in on him pretty quickly.

That story had a lot more details about the actual search. For instance that story says that they actually talked to Klopp about the job on multiple occasions, so he at least had some level interest in the job. It also says that Hayes talked to Pochettino and told him a lot of good things and urged him to take the job.

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and brdst11
Ahhh. It was a slam on soccer players. Got it. I can educate you on the amount of running they do compared to American football, baseball and basketball…but that would run the risk of SMF chiming in so I’ll spare you and everyone else.

Were you banned?

Ahhh. It was a slam on soccer players. Got it. I can educate you on the amount of running they do compared to American football, baseball and basketball…but that would run the risk of SMF chiming in so I’ll spare you and everyone else.

Were you banned?
No, just screwed up when I bought the full pkg. Just another way to please Chris!!

Man I hate Man United. I’m watching the CBS Golazo Europa Post game studio show, and they’ve spent the last half an hour talking about Man United. There were like 60 other teams who played today…but United’s appeal can’t be ignored I suppose. It’s like the Dallas Cowboys I suppose. Haven’t won a playoff game or been a true contender in decades and yet they dominate punditry discussion.

In any event they are talking about ten Hag getting fired, and the one host I never heard of, Nigel Reo Coker, said the best man for the job is Pochettino.

Btw, Charlie Davies is pretty good on the show…but he might be trying too hard to be the Micah Richards role.

I’d go to this in a heartbeat. Although June is when the club World Cup is being played.

I’d go to this in a heartbeat. Although June is when the club World Cup is being played.

Because the World Cup is here, there will be a lot of big name teams that would like to play a friendly in the US next year. Of course the problem is that most of them don't have the openings, what with the Nations League and Cup qualifying.

US plays at Mexico tonight. Pulisic, McKennie, and Pepi are already headed back to their clubs and won't play tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT