ADVERTISEMENT

PODCAST: Pitt's newest commit and the out-of-state trend

Good point Chris

I have no problem with out of staters. In a perfect world we'd get the best
from Western PA, a few from eastern PA, and fill in the rest from other states.
I like the fact that Narduzzi and staff are able to succeed in Ohio, Florida, New Jersey, and Maryland. I get the sense that Narduzzi makes Western PA a
priority, but also feels if he can't get the top locals, then so be it...and then
will recruit elsewhere. It actually amazes me that we can pull in the talent that we do from New Jersey, but at the same time can't make a solid foothold in eastern PA. Seemingly we've made an impression in Coatesville where there are Div1 players almost every year (Coatesville by the way is an ex steel town, almost unheard of in Chester County LOL). This town has fallen on hard times,and in some ways is similar to Aliquippa (much larger than Aliquippa, but demographically it has some similarities). Of course hardly any town in America can boast of the list of great players from Aliquippa,

I'm getting odd topic LOL, but I like the geographical diversity I presently see
with Narduzzi's recruiting as of late.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
no Ohio jumps out. not a knock or a complaint, especially with NJ and Maryland being on there. Probably more flukish than anything.

"Chescat, post: 1926953, member: 176"]I have no problem with out of staters. In a perfect world we'd get the best from Western PA, a few from eastern PA, and fill in the rest from other states.
It will take a tad more time for Coach Pat & Staff to start to keep the Best in Western Pennsylvania, just like it did in 1970s. Back then Pitt TV was limited by NCAA Selections Broadcasts and Ohio State and Michigan Big Ten had no Footprint in East. However, UGA and OU challenged the NCAA and won in the Supreme Court in 1980s and Conferences started to emerge as Independents and some Programs changed Conferences. Penn State joined the Big Ten in 1990s and that brought Big Ten TV Viewing to East. Even Penn State lost a few Players that came back to haunt them and beat them as Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan took a number of 4 & 5 Star Recruits from their Summer Camp Pipeline and some in West Pennsylvanian went to Michigan due to Terly Austin a Pitt Alumnus Player and Terrific Recruiter and Coach Pitt. Michigan and Ohio State started taking more from New Jersey as well, once Big Ten Games were now seen on TV in the East Region.

Now in 2015s, as Pitt Coach Pat & Staff Rebuilds its Program Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan are taking away just enough Top 4 & 5 Stars especially with Meyers, Harbaugh getting Players from Maryland, NJ, as well, as that was PSU Former Coach Johnson used to Recruit Maryland and Virginia.

Additionally, Franklin and Terry Smith who is from Aliquippa, are far better Recruiters than Paterno and Staff and that is saying something because Bradley really had great relationships with many high School Coaches. Those High School Coaching Clinics really give PSU, ND, OSU, and Michigan real advantages.

Therefore, using a Great Coach Quote told to me Face, "Most Collge Football Games Are Won By 4 To 6 Plays Made By 2 To 3 Players!" It is one reason why losing just 2 to 5 Top Recruits every year in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland is why Penn State and Pitt have not won or played in a NCS Game since 1980s and 1994 Joe was robbed of one to be shared with Nebraska, in my opinion.

Just losing 2 to 3 Top 4 & 5 Star Recruits can make that difference from Winning 10+ to 11 and 12 games and instead Winning 8 or 9. If those Recruits go to a competitor you play against that is a double whammy! One reason why Paterno's Coaching Record from 1993-2011 against Michigan, OSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin are more Losses than Wins.

Today, Pitt Coach Pat and Staff has to do what Jackie Sherrill did and found Top Sleeper Stars in Florida, Mississippi, DC, and was able to keep the Best in Western PA, only losing 1 or 2 Penn State in those days, and OSU & Michigan and even ND were pretty much Shutout.

I like the fact that Narduzzi and staff are able to succeed in Ohio, Florida, New Jersey, and Maryland. I get the sense that Narduzzi makes Western PA a priority, but also feels if he can't get the top locals, then so be it...and then will recruit elsewhere.
Astute observation, When I went to high school my Class was over 500 Students Today I was just told the Senior class is just 185. Pennsylvania High Schools especially in Western PA have dropped and now Ohio, NJ, MD, VA, and especially Florida has more recruits than UF, Miami, and FSU, can even take in one year. Yet, Michigan, OSU, PSU and now Maryland, Virginia, and Virginia Tech and all of SEC and ACC are also taking a few too. Once Schiano took over rutgers he actually kept enough NJ and grabbed Florida recruits to have Winning Seasons and being Ranked 12th one year before he left for the NFL. Greg united NJ by grabbing a number of Assistants on his Staff that came from Upper and Lower NJ. If Rutgers could just keep 30% of its Top Recruits it could have a Winning Record. This is why Meyers is such an Elite Coach, he Hired Schiano too to recruit there and in Florida, and Johnson still does Maryland and Virginia. Franklin and Smith don't ignore Florida or SEC & ACC Footprints either. Franklin was Top Recruiter dating back to his days at Maryland as well. Much better than Paterno & Staff ever was and recruited just One Day Drive to Penn State. Florida requires 3 to 4 Plane changes to get to State College, but Franklin has overcome it with his Personality. when Franklin got the job I warned Lair Posters he was a terrific Strategic Recruiter and his Staff too. We will see how he does in coaching in 2017 as his own tests to repeat what he did in 2016. Teams will be better prepared. Narduzzi has his own test on rebuilding after losing 13 starters and Harbaugh lost even more and will be tested too.

It actually amazes me that we can pull in the talent that we do from New Jersey, but at the same time can't make a solid foothold in eastern PA. Seemingly we've made an impression in Coatesville where there are Div1 players almost every year (Coatesville by the way is an ex steel town, almost unheard of in Chester County LOL). This town has fallen on hard times,and in some ways is similar to Aliquippa (much larger than Aliquippa, but demographically it has some similarities).
Franklin was very astute when he brought his Staff together at Penn State. Franklin grabbed many Assistants with Roots from the Regions he wanted to Recruit. Penn State Central location in the State and proximity to NJ, Maryland and New England and the Terrific Summer Camps Recruiting Pipelines combined with High School Coaching Clinics Relationships has always made Eastern Pennsylvania its domain and won't conc3ede Western PA anymore like it had to do under Paterno and that includes Aliquippa, Clairton as well as Philadelphia and NJ too. However, Harbaugh and Meyers won't concede anything and has grabbed a few gems too. Temple has grabbed a number of Sleepers too.

Of course hardly any town in America can boast of the list of great players from Aliquippa,
No town in America like Belinchick said this year produces such Great players in a High School that has less than 170 Students in all 3 classes. It may be the First Zip Code that produces 4 NFL Hall of famers and that is indeed a Great Feat in Football History, with Ditka, Dorsett, and Ty Law soon to be added that went to Michigan I might add, and Pitt's Revis. Gilbert, Lay, Wilamowski, Stringer, Whitehead, Foster, Campbell, Posluszny Brothers, Pope, Pete Maravich, Henry, Thomas, Shell all played at Pitt, Penn State, Michigan, UTenn, LSU, and WVU and now the Battle is for Kwantel Raines just like last year Lamont Wade. Whitehead was Freshmen of the year in the ACC.

I'm getting odd topic LOL, but I like the geographical diversity I presently see
Overtime, back in the 1970-80ss Pitt made big in roads into Youngstown, Ohio. However, Coach Narduzzi is now going against the Stoops Brothers, Pelini, Tressel but overtime if he can get Pitt to 10+ wins he will make an impact. Meyers and Harbaugh own the rests, but MSU, Purdue, Indiana, Kentucky, and Pitt picks the rests and MAC Schools grabs the Sleepers. Kelly at ND is really hurting Pitt and Penn State, and Michigan and Ohio State are hard to Recruit against not just by Pitt, but Penn State and ND too. Why Narduzzi has hired Recruiting Staffers from Florida and bringing back Charlie Partridge was a No Brainer and Pitt is lucky to have him.

As Coach Pat & staff keep showing they can coach up their recruits just like Wisky-Alvarez-Chryst, Iowa-Ferentz, and MSU Dantonio does, and ND Kelly shows he can't cut it with the Irish, and being competitive against Penn State, more Top Recruits will start to choose Pitt Is It just like in the 1970-80s, once Coach Pat Rebuilds the Program and by staying 10+ years. This is why Pitt grabbed a Big Ten Coach from a program like Wisky, MSU and Iowa that has to coach up 2 and 3 Stars to take on Michigan, OSU and ND, PSU Top Recruiting Program Resources and not one from the ACC!

Still, even in lean winning year at Pitt, Pitt is right there with USC, ND, Ohio State, Alabama, and Michigan in All Americans, NCAA & NFL Record Holders, Hall of Famers, NFL Post-Season Awards & All-Pros, and not Penn State even with 46 years under Paterno that Lack Athletic Integrity and required NCAA Sanctions Reforms?
Penn State has produced more NFL Players but more NFL Busts as well unlike Pitt, USC, Ohio State, Bama, and Michigan. Broadcasters and Coaches too!

Franklin and Staff challenge has been trying to catch up for over 100 years and that includes 1900-1960, 1960-1999 and even the last Two Decades from 2000-2017!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chescat
Good call. I think at a certain point I was like, "Wait, is the whole OL going to make this list?" Ha ha. That's not a bad thing, though.
It's not a bad thing at all. I think Western PA has done a good job at producing O-linemen recently. Pitt should definitely be looking elsewhere for speed guys though, with a few exceptions of course.

"Chescat, post: 1926953, member: 176"]I have no problem with out of staters. In a perfect world we'd get the best from Western PA, a few from eastern PA, and fill in the rest from other states.
It will take a tad more time for Coach Pat & Staff to start to keep the Best in Western Pennsylvania, just like it did in 1970s. Back then Pitt TV was limited by NCAA Selections Broadcasts and Ohio State and Michigan Big Ten had no Footprint in East. However, UGA and OU challenged the NCAA and won in the Supreme Court in 1980s and Conferences started to emerge as Independents and some Programs changed Conferences. Penn State joined the Big Ten in 1990s and that brought TV to East and even Penn State lost a few Players that came back to haunt them and beat them as Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan took a number of 4 & 5 Star Recruits from their Summer Camp Pipeline and some in West Pennsylvanian went to Michigan due to Terly Austin a Pitt Alumnus Player and Terrific Recruiter and Coach Pitt. Michigan and Ohio State started taking more from New Jersey as well, once Big Ten Games were now seen on TV in the East Region.

Now in 2015s, as Pitt Coach Pat & Staff Rebuilds its Program Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan are taking away just enough Top 4 & 5 Stars especially with Meyers, Harbaugh getting Players from Maryland, NJ, as well, as that was PSU Former Coach Johnson used to Recruit Maryland and Virginia.

Additionally, Franklin and Terry Smith who is from Aliquippa, are far better Recruiters than Paterno and Staff and that is saying something because Bradley really had great relationships with many high School Coaches. Those High School Coaching Clinics really give PSU, ND, OSU, and Michigan real advantages.

Therefore, using a Great Coach Quote told to me Face, "Most Collge Football Games Are Won By 4 To 6 Plays Made By 2 To 3 Players!" It is one reason why losing just 2 to 5 Top Recruits every year in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland is why Penn State and Pitt have not won or played in a NCS Game since 1980s and 1994 Joe was robbed of one to be shared with Nebraska, in my opinion.

Just losing 2 to 3 Top 4 & 5 Star Recruits can make that difference from Winning 10+ to 11 and 12 games and instead Winning 8 or 9. If those Recruits go to a competitor you play against that is a double whammy! One reason why Paterno's Coaching Record from 1993-2011 against Michigan, OSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin are more Losses than Wins.

Today, Pitt Coach Pat and Staff has to do what Jackie Sherrill did and found Top Sleeper Stars in Florida, Mississippi, DC, and was able to keep the Best in Western PA, only losing 1 or 2 Penn State in those days, and OSU & Michigan and even ND were pretty much Shutout.

I like the fact that Narduzzi and staff are able to succeed in Ohio, Florida, New Jersey, and Maryland. I get the sense that Narduzzi makes Western PA a priority, but also feels if he can't get the top locals, then so be it...and then will recruit elsewhere.
Astute observation, When I went to high school my Class was over 500 Students Today I was just told the Senior class is just 185. Pennsylvania High Schools especially in Western PA have dropped and now Ohio, NJ, MD, VA, and especially Florida has more recruits than UF, Miami, and FSU, can even take in one year. Yet, Michigan, OSU, PSU and now Maryland, Virginia, and Virginia Tech and all of SEC and ACC are also taking a few too. Once Schiano took over rutgers he actually kept enough NJ and grabbed Florida recruits to have Winning Seasons and being Ranked 12th one year before he left for the NFL. Greg united NJ by grabbing a number of Assistants on his Staff that came from Upper and Lower NJ. If Rutgers could just keep 30% of its Top Recruits it could have a Winning Record. This is why Meyers is such an Elite Coach, he Hired Schiano too to recruit there and in Florida, and Johnson still does Maryland and Virginia. Franklin and Smith don't ignore Florida or SEC & ACC Footprints either. Franklin was Top Recruiter dating back to his days at Maryland as well. Much better than Paterno & Staff ever was and recruited just One Day Drive to Penn State. Florida requires 3 to 4 Plane changes to get to State College, but Franklin has overcome it with his Personality. when Franklin got the job I warned Lair Posters he was a terrific Strategic Recruiter and his Staff too. We will see how he does in coaching in 2017 as his own tests to repeat what he did in 2016. Teams will be better prepared. Narduzzi has his own test on rebuilding after losing 13 starters and Harbaugh lost even more and will be tested too.

It actually amazes me that we can pull in the talent that we do from New Jersey, but at the same time can't make a solid foothold in eastern PA. Seemingly we've made an impression in Coatesville where there are Div1 players almost every year (Coatesville by the way is an ex steel town, almost unheard of in Chester County LOL). This town has fallen on hard times,and in some ways is similar to Aliquippa (much larger than Aliquippa, but demographically it has some similarities).
Franklin was very astute when he brought his Staff together at Penn State. he grabbed many Assistants with Roots from Regions he wanted to Recruit. Penn State Central location in the State and proximity to NJ, Maryland and New England and there Terrific Summer camp recruiting Pipelines combined with High School Coaching Clinics Relationships has alway made Eastern Pennsylvania its domain and won't conc3ede Western PA anymore like it had to do under Paterno and that includes Aliquippa, Clairton as well as Philadelphia and NJ too. However, Harbaugh and Meyers won't concede anything and has grabbed a few gems too.
Of course hardly any town in America can boast of the list of great players from Aliquippa,
No town in America like Belinchick said this year produces such Great players in a High School that has less than 170 Students in all 3 classes. It may be the First Zip Code that produces 4 NFL Hall of famers and that is indeed a Great Feat in Football History, with Ditka, Dorsett, and Ty Law soon to be added that went to Michigan I might add, and Pitt's Revis. Gilbert, Lay, Wilamowski, Stringer, Whitehead, Foster, Campbell, Posluszny Brothers, Pope, Pete Maravich, Henry, Thomas, Shell all played at Pitt, Penn State, Michigan, UTenn, LSU, and WVU and now the Battle is for Kwantel Raines just like last year Lamont Wade. Whitehead was Freshmen of the year in the ACC.

Overtime, back in the 1970-80ss Pitt made big in roads into Youngstown Ohio. However, Coach Narduzzi is now going against the Stoops Brothers, Pelini, Tressel but overtime if he can get Pitt to 10+ wins he will make an impact. Kelly at ND is really hurting Pitt and Penn State, and Michigan and Ohio State are hard to Recruit against not just by Pitt, but Penn State and ND too. Why Narduzzi has hired recruiting Staffers from Florida and bringing back Charlie Partridge was a No Brainer and Pitt is lucky to have him.

As Coach Pat & staff keep showing they can coach up their recruits just like Wisky-Alvarez-Chryst, Iowa-Ferentz, and MSU Dantonio does, and ND Kelly shows he can't cut it with the Irish, and being competitive against Penn State, more Top Recruits will start to choose Pitt Is It just like in the 1970-80s, once Coach Pat Rebuilds the Program and by staying 10+ years. This is why Pitt grabbed a Big Ten Coach from a program like Wisky, MSU and Iowa that has to coach up 2 and 3 Stars to take on Michigan, OSU and ND, PSU Top Recruiting Program Resources and not one from the ACC!

Still, even in lean winning year at Pitt, Pitt is right there with USC, ND, Ohio State, Alabama, and Michigan in All Americans, NCAA & NFL Record Holders, Hall of Famers, NFL Post-Season Awards & All-Pros, and not Penn State even with 46 years under Paterno that Lack Athletic Integrity and required NCAA Sanctions Reforms?
Penn State has produced more NFL Players but more NFL Busts as well unlike Pitt, USC, Ohio State, Bama, and Michigan. Broadcasters and Coaches too!

Franklin and Staff challenge has been trying to catch up for over 100 years and that includes 1900-1960, 1960-1999 and even the last Two Decades from 2000-2017!

Well, thanks for taking my post and adding some excellent detail. We're
obviously in agreement on Narduzzi's recruiting successes concerning
out of staters, while at the same time trying to get the best out of Western
Pa.

Something else worth considering....note how Ohio ST basically retains
almost EVERY top Ohio recruit. This is something Franklin is trying to do
in PA. He's on record for saying that he wants every top recruit to
choose PSU. His only in state competition is Pitt, and even with that we
usually lose that top Pa recruit to PSU. A fair analogy would be how
we are to PSU, as Cincinnati is to Ohio St. The difference is we do get
a Whitehead, a Rutherford, a Ford; whereas a Cincinnati just about never
gets one away from Ohio St. Michigan and other big 10schools along with ND once in awhile succeeds with a top Ohio recruit, but basically OSU gets em all. This is not the case with PSU. As you pointed out, ND and other Big10
schools do well in Pa. PSU wants the WHOLE state, they don't have it yet, even though Franklin is trying.
Pitt is pretty highly regarded as a college choice in eastern PA., and this has been on the rise lately. I'd like to see that carry over to football.

"Chescat, post: 1927299, member: 176"]Well, thanks for taking my post and adding some excellent detail. We're
Pa.
I agree, but he has so much to do and prove too. It seldom happens overnight with just 2 years. Even when Pitt grabbed 80 and 90 Recruits in 1973 and 1974, many 4 and 5 Stars in Today's Standards.

Johnny Majors always was quoted, A Football Program looking to win Championships have to learn to first Crawl, then stand up and Walk and then Run! Pitt went 21-13-1 at .612% Winning Ranked 44th 1973-75, with 6-5-1-Crawling Back to Winning, 7-4 Learning To Play Better-Walking, and 8-4-Jogging and took off Running in 1976 .

Great Coaching Changes Attitudes Of Learning to Win as it Teaches Recruits and Players to learn how make an Effort to be better regardless of the Talent. It starts to learn how to Win Games By Good Execution on Game Day. Changing close Losses to Programs with more Recruiting Talent to Winning against Top Ranked Programs, and then when it happens and start to Run. After Coaches Systems are in, more winning and then Recruiting Improves. Followed by Top 25 Rankings and Revenue Income too, and Top 25 Programs can be born and then keeping Great Coaches must be maintained.

It is different today, the Power Conference's Income are all making enough money to support upgrading all Programs and even previous perennial Bottom Feeders such as Indiana, Duke, Illinois, Wake, Rutgers, Baylor, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Cal, Oregon State, Temple, Iowa State and Kansas.All have improved facilities, coaching staffing and salaries, but still hard to overtake Annual Top Programs making over &70 Million with Historic NCS, Heisman's, Sold Out Stadiums, with more Recruiting Resources.

While the Top 25 Winning Programs have far less patience and Fired Coaches that can't Win in the Top Ten, or Win Championships with Top 25 Recruiting Classes.

almost EVERY top Ohio recruit.
Urban Meyers after just 2 years at Bowling Green going 8-3, & 9-3 has won 10 7 10+ Win Seasons every where he went Utah, Florida, and OSU except for 4 of 13 Seasons, Elite Coach Winning + Elite Program = Elite Recruiting! But it is the continued WINNING that keeps the Top Recruits Coming and that takes Great Coaching & Staffers!

Saban and Meyers have perfected it at Ohio State and BAMA, Swinney & Fisher are not far behind either. Right now these are the Elite Coaches, in my view and have Established Programs with Boosters, Top Staffers, and Therefore Top Winning, but Clemson has not always recruited in the top five like Saban and Meyers, and shows Great Coaching.

This is something Franklin is trying to do in PA. He's on record for saying that he wants every top recruit to choose PSU.
Franklin has been outstanding in Recruiting and still behind OSU & Michigan, but better than anyone else in the Big Ten to challenge the BIG TWO. Franklin knows how it feels to be a Head Coach at a Private University with High Academic Standards like Vanderbilt that cannot match the Huge Powerful Program at UTenn with 90,000 Fans and deal with Memphis that grabbed Recruits that cannot get into Vandy or UTenn.

This experience at Vandy and Franklin had some Top 25 Classes there too is a great advantage for Franklin and like you say, he is making it a Pennsylvania versus Ohio & Michigan objective to be better and that is a great challenge to overcome too. Franklin has the Program that can compete with the Big Two better than anyone in the Big Ten.

His only in state competition is Pitt, and even with that we usually lose that top Pa recruit to PSU. A fair analogy would be how we are to PSU, as Cincinnati is to Ohio St.
Yes very fair analogy just like Vandy an UTenn. However, Ohio High Schools still produce Rivals Top 60 Recruits and so there are Top Talent Leftovers for Michigan, MSU, Pitt, ND, Kentucky, Indiana, Purdue and less for UCincy and MAC.

The difference is we do get a Whitehead, a Rutherford, a Ford; whereas a Cincinnati just about never gets one away from Ohio St.
Very astute observation, in the words of Dorian Johnson Pitt's last 5 Star Recruit, he did not come to Pitt to play before Big Crowds and Sold Out Stadiums, like at OSU, Michigan, PSU and Notre Dame. Johnson told to Zubovic, I came to learn how to play football and start as fast as possible at Pitt for the NFL. Pitt NFL Players are right up there is Quality as Ohio State, ND, Michigan, but Penn State leads the Most NFL Busts under the Paterno Era. Franklin will do much better since he brings in Higher Talent than Paterno ever did.

Michigan and other big 10 schools along with ND once in awhile succeeds with a top Ohio recruit, but basically OSU gets em all. This is not the case with PSU. As you pointed out, ND and other Big10 schools do well in Pa. PSU wants the WHOLE state, they don't have it yet, even though Franklin is trying.
Still, to be fair, objective and with admiration, Beano Cook once told me, the Top 4 Recruiting Programs around Pitt is Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan and Penn State. To the credit to Paterno, way back in 1965, Joe KNEW without any Consultants back then because there was no such profession. he has to develop Programs that OSU, ND and Michigan have and Joe did it. Penn State had the geographical advantages of being within one days drives of State College and his Foresight on going after Top Recruits from New England, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and even as far as South & North Carolina and Georgia was more than enough to pass Pitt WVU and Syracuse right by and did!

Joe was even smarter when he developed High School Coaching Clinics for them to come to Penn State, setting up his Publicity Departments, knowing the value of Inviting 3,000 potential Recruits as far back as 8th grade to 12th grade ever summer, making sure they qualified to get into school, setting up tutoring to keep them passing and graduating in easy Majors at 75& to 90%, 17 out of 24 years, and that is what ND, Michigan and OSU did too back then, and Franklin is building upon it but with Athletic Integrity unlike Joe. Additionally, that afford having Higher Rosters and that come sin handy when injuries happen.

Unfortunately, Penn State was also using Sandusky's The Second Mile that was in every Grade and High School claiming to be part of Penn State Football and now known as way for Jerry to prey upon troubled disadvantage children. Spainer love it too and why he brought Jerry back and made him a Professor Emeritus after Patreno got Jerry to retire. Penn state Players would go there and do volunteer work too, and they did pass out Penn State Football Players Cards that was a Recruiting Violation and part of the Sanctions.

Pitt is pretty highly regarded as a college choice in eastern PA., and this has been on the rise lately. I'd like to see that carry over to football.
Takes Great Coaching staying and winning and re-building and then becoming a Top recruiting Program like USC or Miami two Private Urban Universities. Pitt has not done that since Pop Warner & Dr. Jock Sutherland. While Johnny and Jackie did it but cut and run for Major's Beloved UTenn that ended up firing him, and Jackie did it for the A&M Cash and was dumped too. Both regretted leaving Pitt and admit it now, but Narduzzi wanted and waited to be the Pitt Coach and some think he may be over achieving, but we shall see in 2017 for sure, and then up to Pitt to keep him.

Good post as usual, I love discussing Football with Posters in the know and know more to correct me and augment the discussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chescat
Well, thanks for taking my post and adding some excellent detail. We're
Pa.

almost EVERY top Ohio recruit. This is something Franklin is trying to do
in PA. He's on record for saying that he wants every top recruit to
choose PSU. His only in state competition is Pitt, and even with that we
usually lose that top Pa recruit to PSU. A fair analogy would be how
we are to PSU, as Cincinnati is to Ohio St. The difference is we do get
a Whitehead, a Rutherford, a Ford; whereas a Cincinnati just about never
gets one away from Ohio St. Michigan and other big 10schools along with ND once in awhile succeeds with a top Ohio recruit, but basically OSU gets em all. This is not the case with PSU. As you pointed out, ND and other Big10
schools do well in Pa. PSU wants the WHOLE state, they don't have it yet, even though Franklin is trying.
Comparing Pitt to Cincy is sooooooooo far off its funny. First of all .....Pitt is a P5 school. Cincy is not!

When it comes to recruiting the top players in Pa. If the kid is from Western Pa. Pitt almost always gets the best player from there. Cincy on the other hand never beats out OSU for recruits.

Its that very perception from Pitt's own fans. That hurts us locally and nationally as a little brother. Penn st has done nothing over the last 20 years to even compare our situation to Cincy's

Comparing Pitt to Cincy is sooooooooo far off its funny. First of all .....Pitt is a P5 school. Cincy is not!

When it comes to recruiting the top players in Pa. If the kid is from Western Pa. Pitt almost always gets the best player from there. Cincy on the other hand never beats out OSU for recruits.

Its that very perception from Pitt's own fans. That hurts us locally and nationally as a little brother. Penn st has done nothing over the last 20 years to even compare our situation to Cincy's

You clearly missed the point...it was simply an analogy not an EXACT
comparison saying the schools were alike.. If you re read what I said, you'll see it's similar to what you said in that we do get great players from Western PA that PSU also wants.
I even listed several...Rutheford, Revis, Whitehead, Ford. I also stated that Cincinnati just about never gets one from OSU.
A comparison does not mean the two entities are the same, (as you seem to imply). They in fact can be very different, as I pointed out.
The analogy that you are criticizing is that OSU and PSU are both the big State University, while Pitt and Cincy are urban universities up
against the huge, land grant, well endowed ($$$) university.
Comparing two different entities does not suggest they are the same (ex) Pitt and Cinci.

NJ is stacked this year. Great to be back to mining that talent.
I talked to a Professor at Rutgers that enjoys talking to the Athletic Department. He said he was told, it is hard to keep Recruits in NJ, they just want get out of the State. The same thing for University Students the Population is around 9 million but only have 62 Colleges. Some Colleges actually charge some out of state student less than in state due to wanting to attract diversity.

Pennsylvania has something around 160 with just a population if 12.8 million.

All good points but one Defensive Back Recruit that Ohio State missed that grew into an Elite Coach is Urban Meyers???? Urban's Alma Mater is UCincy! Yet, if you ever ask Urban if he wants UCincy in the Big Ten it may be answered sure, why not, but you won't see him promoting it. Urban also does not want another Power Five Team in Ohio either!

You clearly missed the point...it was simply an analogy not an EXACT
comparison saying the schools were alike.. If you re read what I said, you'll see it's similar to what you said in that we do get great players from Western PA that PSU also wants.
I even listed several...Rutheford, Revis, Whitehead, Ford. I also stated that Cincinnati just about never gets one from OSU.
A comparison does not mean the two entities are the same, (as you seem to imply). They in fact can be very different, as I pointed out.
The analogy that you are criticizing is that OSU and PSU are both the big State University, while Pitt and Cincy are urban universities up
against the huge, land grant, well endowed ($$$) university.
Comparing two different entities does not suggest they are the same (ex) Pitt and Cinci.
Also, Pitt, BC, Miami, TCU, UCincy, SMU, Northwestern, UCLA, Temple, USC, and Houston, CAL, Georgia Tech, and few more in Urban Cities with Pro Football, Baseball, Hockey, and Basketball have to compete with Sports Ticket Purchasers, Scheduling, and Commuters Students with far Smaller Student Undergraduates and Property Values far more valuable along with limits space for expansion. Suburb Rural Acreage can go for $30,000 Acre, Urban City Acreage with Renovation, Deconstruction, and Rebuilding is $200,000!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT