• Beating UNC

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Losing to UNC but beating the spread

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Already in

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A win tonight puts us in. And also gives us a good shot at the AQ spot. I'm not afraid of UVA or an NC state team playing its 5th game in as many days.

We have a puncher's shot against UNC. I'm not saying we win but I think it'll be competitive.

I think Pitt avoids Dayton with a win tonight

Absolutely. Honestly, I think we can avoid Dayton even if we lose. Depending on what you value, you can put us on the 9 or 10 line even if we lose OR the NIT. I've never seen a bubble like this. These teams are all so similar but all so different with their resumes. Never seen anything like it. Last year, I was 95% sure of Dayton and ok with it. I'll still take Dayton but I'd be pissed because you could make a real argument we are better than the last 10 teams in.

If the question is should we be in right now? That answer is yes. But the reality is that we'll need to at least be very competitive against UNC to have a good chance of making it. If we get blown out by UNC, it's probably NIT for us. The committee and their metrics nonsense, which doesn't account for trends and late season records more heavily weighted, will make sure we don't make it in that case.

Unfortunately, I think Pitt needs to win tonight to get in. No matter how ridiculous it is that all of these Big Ten, Big East and SEC teams, that aren’t even above .500 in conference, are safely in according to most bracket nerds. Pitt is clearly a top 36 team in the country, but I think it takes a win tonight to get in.

Reactions: PittMan2003
Bracketmatrix isn’t officially updated yet for today, but I have clicked through several Dozen brackets which have updated and very few have Pitt in. Providence is in more brackets than Pitt it appears. The most common place Pitt appears is between first-third team out. UVA is typically in but in Dayton so they don’t appear to be completely safe either.

I guess the good news is that we still are playing to make our case, even if it’s a challenging one. Perhaps the team can use this as a “we all we got” type motivational challenge Although I don’t think this group needs that. I believe that they believe they are in DC to take the trophy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patches_OHoulihan
We couldn't possibly know without knowing what the other teams do, I think. But I believe if we beat UNC we start getting into displacing some teams who are ahead or the bubble teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT