ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Are you rooting for Wake to win or lose Wednesday?

Which one

• Root for Wake to win

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • Root for Wake to lose

Votes: 34 48.6%

• Total voters

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Figured I'd do this as a poll instead. This is a really tough one. Usually, you root for the easiest path to advance. I'd estimate we have about a 45% chance to beat Wake but about an 85% chance to beat ND/GT so the decision on those grounds seem to be easy. However, if we beat ND/GT and then lose to UNC, is 2-7 vs Q1 going to get us in? Or do we need to beat Wake to get to 3-6 and then 3-7 if we lose to UNC?

Wake losing, though, knocks them out of NCAAT discussion meaning that even if we beat ND/GT and lose to UNC, we'd have a better chance of making it than if we lose to Wake. Not sure what to root for.

Of winning the ACC Tournament and winning the NCAA tournament, the first is far easier. I'm about winning, not participating.

Pitt is a +1100 odds to win the ACC Tournament. I'd love to win it but we arent. I want the best path to make the NCAA Tournament. For me, making the NCAA Tournament is the ultimate goal.

Winning the ACCT should be the goal. Wake losing should make that easier.
Exactly, the hell with the Q1, Q2, NET BS, I want to "Make Basketball Great Again" and GO BACK IN TIME, to when we didn't care who Lunardi was or what he said and just want to straight up play to win the ACCT.

I’d gladly trade the big east titles Pitt won for the final fours Nova and UConn had.
Not winning the Big East titles wouldn't guarantee you go any farther in the tournament, so the hell with it, I'd rather win the conference tournament and worry about the Final 4 if and when I get to the Elite 8.

Pitt is a +1100 odds to win the ACC Tournament. I'd love to win it but we arent. I want the best path to make the NCAA Tournament. For me, making the NCAA Tournament is the ultimate goal.
Some people think BIGGER, I hope the players don't think like you, calculating the odds and expecting to lose, I suppose if we did get to the ACC final you'd be thinking its +3000 odds to beat Duke, so let's rest the starters for the play in game in Dayton. It's pathetic how some people think these days, it's always a metric or calculation, never confidence or belief. Do I think Pitt will win the ACCT? NO, But I do want them to go all in the next few days to TRY and not be calculating the metrics of what to do next?

If Wake loses, how can they be in the NCAA tournament? That would be losing the last 4 out of 5 of something like that. I think that puts us over them and we would have an easier game but you never know. I still think that the ACC gets 5 teams and Wake losing helps us...

Reactions: upj87 and latz66
If Wake loses, how can they be in the NCAA tournament? That would be losing the last 4 out of 5 of something like that. I think that puts us over them and we would have an easier game but you never know. I still think that the ACC gets 5 teams and Wake losing helps us...

They wont be. We have a slight chance to get in with a loss. They dont

So the question is do we root for wake to be potentially eliminated or Pitt to play a team that would help their resume.

I say lay it on the line. We should be able to beat Wake on a true neutral floor with a trip to the Big Dance on the line. You know we are getting in if we win that game. If Wake loses and we don't win that game or do win and get blown out by UNC ACC could end up being a 3 bid conference.

It's not even a question what the answer is in its purest form. We need the Q1 win that Wake would provide. And, frankly, if we can't beat a bubble team on a neutral court that beat us by like 30 last time (i.e. you'd think we would give them our best punch) and just played a game the day before, then we shouldn't be in the NCAAT anyway.

It's not even a question what the answer is in its purest form. We need the Q1 win that Wake would provide. And, frankly, if we can't beat a bubble team on a neutral court that beat us by like 30 last time (i.e. you'd think we would give them our best punch) and just played a game the day before, then we shouldn't be in the NCAAT anyway.
Good point.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley
I don't care. I want to beat Wake, or beat the team that beat Wake. And then beat someone on Friday, and beat someone on Saturday.

If we lose any of those games, let the chips fall where they may. If you don't control your own destiny, you have to accept what fate gives you.

uh, Pitt needs teams they are competing with on the bubble to be gone....Wake loses they are gone.. Pitt beats the lesser team that beat them and they are in by winning four of their last five. There is still a twinge of human element left and that win over Wake instead of the lesser foe not needed I think. In summation, win on Thursday punch your ticket so why not do so by playing a team you have a better chance to beat? With all that gibberish being said, I'm not sure if Notre Dame is the lesser opponent lately..

uh, Pitt needs teams they are competing with on the bubble to be gone....Wake loses they are gone.. Pitt beats the lesser team that beat them and they are in by winning four of their last five. There is still a twinge of human element left and that win over Wake instead of the lesser foe not needed I think. In summation, win on Thursday punch your ticket so why not do so by playing a team you have a better chance to beat?

You can say there's a human element that lends bias to recent results, but every comment the committee has made on it says otherwise.

And that logic would make sense if it was just us and Wake battling for the final spot like the two recipients of the pool cue the Joker just Bo Jacksoned. But there aren't some guaranteed number of ACC invitations. If Wake loses and we beat GT but get trounced by - or perhaps even just lose to - UNC, neither team is getting in.

It looked like ND was going to win, but GT came storming back. Hopefully it goes 4OT.

Last edited:
my goal is to win. Always. Of course, it doesn't cause me a lot of fret regarding other games that I have no control over.

However, I would prefer to play Notre Dame on Thursday because their playing the 2 nights before our game should work to their disadvantage.

As for worrying about North Carolina. Not really an issue. North Carolina is the champ. If I want to be the champ, I have to beat the champ. I want to be the champ.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Rooting for 7 overtimes. Tipping off about 5 minutes.

Kinda cool this poll is tied 31-31. Entirely reasonable. I am leaning towards Notre Dame but it's less likely of course.

Should be a nerve wracking and fun day tomorrow waiting for this game around 230-3 o clock. Such a huge game for Pitt. Everybody would have signed in blood for this type of game when Pitt was 1-5 in mid January before they beat Duke.

Should be a nerve wracking and fun day tomorrow waiting for this game around 230-3 o clock. Such a huge game for Pitt. Everybody would have signed in blood for this type of game when Pitt was 1-5 in mid January before they beat Duke.
I wish it was on at night, like 7, I hate getting the weekday afternoon games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT