• Lose in First Four

Votes: 54 69.2%
  • Win NIT

Votes: 24 30.8%

• Total voters

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The question seems ridiculous but when PSU had their NIT dynasty about 10-15 years ago, a PSU co-worker told me winning the NIT is better than losing in the Round of 32. Also had a Pitt fan tell me today that the First Four is basically the NIT and he doesn't even consider that making the NCAAT.

I think winning the NIT is a great accomplishment if you don't make the tournament. But making the tournament is a bigger accomplishment. Even the First Four.

I do think the teams who do lost in First Four (and maybe even the lower seeds losing in first round) should then be able to then play in the NIT. They do this for European Soccer, where the top teams who don't make it out of the group stage of the Champions League get to play in the Europa League competition, which is sort of like the NIT in that its the second tier championship for teams not good enough to compete for the top prize that year.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I'd get more entertainment out of the NIT, because it would be more games, but I'll take the Tournament just to get the monkey off our back and reset the "it's been this long since we made it" clock.

Reactions: Pitt79 and TWPitt
Most years the first four are 11 seeds, but some years it has a 12 seed, 13 seed, or 14 seed. How does that work?

NIT definitely. The first four is not really part of the NCAA tournament in most people's minds. Its not on their brackets, so those teams get zero recognition.

The NIT, on the other hand can be the start of something bigger. I was a UConn fan back in the day, and their NIT win in 1988 is what helped vault them to national prominence.

The question seems ridiculous but when PSU had their NIT dynasty about 10-15 years ago, a PSU co-worker told me winning the NIT is better than losing in the Round of 32. Also had a Pitt fan tell me today that the First Four is basically the NIT and he doesn't even consider that making the NCAAT.
Need a 3rd choice. NEITHER. Because either of the 1st 2 means we retain this POS Coach and Staff.

This is so stupid. The NIT is a joke. Making the NCAAT in any capacity is ALWAYS the goal and expectation.

That’s like saying would you rather win the _____ bowl, or make the College Football playoffs and lose?

So stupid.

Relegated to and losing in the first game in Dayton would be a better comparison IMO. Especially if placed in Dayton in the first place because you finished the season in a free fall as we basically did … then to lose immediately? I’d pick winning the NIT over that.

But making the NCAA as a ‘regular’ seed and happening to lose, better than the NIT. Especially after not being there since 2016.

This is so stupid. The NIT is a joke. Making the NCAAT in any capacity is ALWAYS the goal and expectation.

That’s like saying would you rather win the _____ bowl, or make the College Football playoffs and lose?

So stupid.

I agree but 30% of people would win the NIT and its basically what I thought. There is the idea that winning the lesser tournament is better than making the better tournament and losing. It is crazy to me. Winning the NIT would be great if that's where you end up at but I'd trade that title for a blowout loss in the First Four

Reactions: GaryMcgheeForThree
Dumb poll.

There is never a situation where it is better to win the NIT than to go to the NCAA. Ever. Ever. Ever.
Agree - to a degree.

This has been true as since the year the tournament went to 64 teams.

Most years the first four are 11 seeds, but some years it has a 12 seed, 13 seed, or 14 seed. How does that work?

The four teams playing in the first four are in the last two at large slots. They get placed in the bracket wherever that belongs. That changes from year to year based on how highly seeded some of the one bid league teams are. For example, in a typical year the CUSA winner might be seeded below the last at large teams. This year, with Florida Atlantic certainly getting a better seed than those teams, those teams move a spot further down the list. In other years, the top team in the MVC might be better than the last at large team, but this year's MVC winner, Drake, is probably not. So they go below the at large teams.

So it just depends on where the individual teams that make it end up. There isn't any "template" or something that says that the last at large teams should be 11s or 12s or, really, anything. They go where they "belong".

Reactions: Pitt2009
The four teams playing in the first four are in the last two at large slots. They get placed in the bracket wherever that belongs. That changes from year to year based on how highly seeded some of the one bid league teams are. For example, in a typical year the CUSA winner might be seeded below the last at large teams. This year, with Florida Atlantic certainly getting a better seed than those teams, those teams move a spot further down the list. In other years, the top team in the MVC might be better than the last at large team, but this year's MVC winner, Drake, is probably not. So they go below the at large teams.

So it just depends on where the individual teams that make it end up. There isn't any "template" or something that says that the last at large teams should be 11s or 12s or, really, anything. They go where they "belong".
Appreciate the info

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I begrudgingly voted for the NIT because sports is entertainment and I’d get to watch a few more Pitt games this season.

Reactions: Pitt79
I begrudgingly voted for the NIT because sports is entertainment and I’d get to watch a few more Pitt games this season.
This is like the people who prefer to be in the Birmingham Bowl against a MAC team to get the win over getting into the playoff and getting blown out.

Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
This is like the people who prefer to be in the Birmingham Bowl against a MAC team to get the win over getting into the playoff and getting blown out.

Makes no sense to me.
I’d guess nobody has ever argued to play in the Birmingham Bowl over the CFP…

Reactions: Pitt79
I’d guess nobody has ever argued to play in the Birmingham Bowl over the CFP…
SMF would make a poll if Pitt was 12-1 and ranked 7th:

Would you rather go to the Orange Bowl and win, or go to the CFP and get blown out by Georgia?

And the correct answer is go to the playoff.

Makes no sense to me.
It makes sense to me. Like I said above, I could watch more Pitt games. And I prefer Pitt football and basketball play the best t as much as possible.

SMF would make a poll if Pitt was 12-1 and ranked 7th:

Would you rather go to the Orange Bowl and win, or go to the CFP and get blown out by Georgia?

And the correct answer is go to the playoff.

On the football board, I said a few times we should have made the CFP 2 years ago and maybe even this year and a few replies were, "I wouldnt want to go get blown out by Bama." No, I'd rather pull a TCU in a game vs Bama in CFP than win the Orange Bowl

Makes no sense to me.
People that understand sports and basketball in particular feel the same exact way as you.

I think it's like asking a High School team if they'd rather play up in classification and make the WPIAL playoffs, but lose in the first round, or play in their natural classification and win the title.

The best moment of my sporting life is when we win the CBI. Hell of a ride. National Champs!

I think it's like asking a High School team if they'd rather play up in classification and make the WPIAL playoffs, but lose in the first round, or play in their natural classification and win the title.
No - It would be like asking a high school if they’d rather make the playoffs and lose in the first round or win a 10th game meaningless exhibition game.

The NCAA Tournament IS our classification. The NIT is the Not Invited Tournament. It is the JV tournament.
Interesting take. I disagree. Championships are worth celebrating in my mind. Winning the ACC regular season would have been worthy of celebration, as would winning the ACC tournament. I'd take either of them over one and done in the NCAA tournament.

There’s maybe a couple things going on here. Personal preference or what’s good for the program.

If you think the NIT is better because you’ll get more games and see them win, cool, whatever.

But for the program making the Dance is unquestionably the correct answer.

I’ve hated Dayton since day 1 but it’s still better than the alternative. Better for Pitt to be in it.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Interesting take. I disagree. Championships are worth celebrating in my mind. Winning the ACC regular season would have been worthy of celebration, as would winning the ACC tournament. I'd take either of them over one and done in the NCAA tournament.
Does the banner say, “We’re #69!” ?
You aren’t #1 in D1 basketball. There’s no CBI banner hanging in The Pete for winning that Junior High tournament.

Being a top seed in the NIT is awful. I don't know if I'll even watch. If you are not on the bubble and make the NIT as a mid seed that is different, but collapsing into that tournament is deflating.

If it's definitely LOSE the First 4, I take win the NIT, more TV Shows for me to watch and in the end, cutting down ANY nets, winning ANY trophy is better than losing a Tuesday Night game before people even realize the post season has started.

There’s maybe a couple things going on here. Personal preference or what’s good for the program.

If you think the NIT is better because you’ll get more games and see them win, cool, whatever.

But for the program making the Dance is unquestionably the correct answer.

I’ve hated Dayton since day 1 but it’s still better than the alternative. Better for Pitt to be in it.
I care about more TV shows for me, one loss vs. 5 wins, is an easy choice.

Does the banner say, “We’re #69!” ?
You aren’t #1 in D1 basketball. There’s no CBI banner hanging in The Pete for winning that Junior High tournament.
They should hang a banner for that, it's stupid that they don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT