ADVERTISEMENT

Post Gazette bias on full display

yc_ballcat

Scholarship
Feb 28, 2011
With huge photo on (non-Steelers) Sunday Sports front page of Marcus Allen kneeling & gloating over Darrin Hall following the safety. The size & selection of that image is an unmistakeable editorial statement; a perfect representation of PG staff sentiment re: Penn State vs Pitt.

With huge photo on (non-Steelers) Sunday Sports front page of Marcus Allen kneeling & gloating over Darrin Hall following the safety. The size & selection of that image is an unmistakeable editorial statement; a perfect representation of PG staff sentiment re: Penn State vs Pitt.
And that's a surprise to you. What did you expect????? You want to read their garbage, you deserve what you get.

Reactions: Toddy_Too_Hotty
They DESERVE IT, they won the game handily. What do you want, a story talking about how good Pitt played?

Ron Cook wasn't complimentary of Franklin, not necessarily PissU. And how can any living, breathing human being not understand that James Franklin is pond scum and a POS??? Even Cook understands that.

Guess I must be dead and not breathing. Enough of the hate filled myopic BS. Duz postures - Franklin postures - just a little head game and a few barbs directed at each others program. All part of the rivalry that isn't. Pond scum - POS ? Don't think so. To the victors go the spoils - deal with it.

The list of Pittsburgh media figures with PSU roots is long, especially at the PG.

But it's whatever, they may try to hold their biases back or may not (see Biertempfel, Fittipaldo), trying to back away from the whole "they're all out to get us" angle.

Was there a picture of say Ryan Lewis's INT in the paper last year? (Don't remember but wouldn't surprise me if so)

Ron Cook wasn't complimentary of Franklin, not necessarily PissU. And how can any living, breathing human being not understand that James Franklin is pond scum and a POS??? Even Cook understands that.
That surprised me as well when I read it online. But to think about it, he and probably the other older Pittsburgh columnists are big Paterno disciples. Paterno had lost it, was actually holding them back in the final several years, and I think this new success is proving it. But I don't think these older guys want to acknowledge that. So criticizing Franklin (for something they'd never likely criticize Paterno for saying ... and he definitely said things just like it, Pitt isn't a rival etc. ) is a rather desperate way to try to knock the new guy down a few pegs.

Guess I must be dead and not breathing. Enough of the hate filled myopic BS. Duz postures - Franklin postures - just a little head game and a few barbs directed at each others program. All part of the rivalry that isn't. Pond scum - POS ? Don't think so. To the victors go the spoils - deal with it.

Agree. But I will fully admit as a PSU fan and alum I did not like it and he's lucky it was so quick that the refs didn't see it and throw a flag.
He was an absolute beast on Sat. and just no reason to do it.

Franklin is a total scumbag, or did you not read up on your new coach aside from wins and losses...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...lt-football-rape-case-james-franklin/8477451/

https://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/08/james-franklin-vanderbilt-rape-case-penn-state-video

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/3555/james-franklins-hot-wife-rule-way-off-base

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
You guys do know the key to beating Franklin is to out recruit him.Right now there are only a few teams that are doing that.We don't like to admit it but the more stars you have the more wins you will have( unless you are Brady Hoke)!We don't play Franklin untill 2023 maybe his act will get old by then but I doubt it.No matter what we say about him,fraud,used car salesman,snake in the grass,enabler,a**hole,cultist etc the kids love him.As long as the big star recruits keep going to Happy Valley we'll being playing second fiddle to him!

Corsos I'm afraid the song Franklin will be singing is "I'm reloading not rebuilding!"He's replacing 3 and low 4stars with high 4 stars and a few 5 stars.We (WVU and Pitt) just don't have the resources to do what he is doing.

This could get me banned. But honestly, it was a cool photo. Hope we have a defender who can pummel someone like that... someday.

The list of Pittsburgh media figures with PSU roots is long, especially at the PG.

But it's whatever, they may try to hold their biases back or may not (see Biertempfel, Fittipaldo), trying to back away from the whole "they're all out to get us" angle.

Was there a picture of say Ryan Lewis's INT in the paper last year? (Don't remember but wouldn't surprise me if so)

I think the main image last year was the Connor-Lewis hug. Which would have been perfectly fitting, and can be taken at face value. This image, however, was symbolic; selected & showcased to reinforce visually the sense of PSU superiority, not just in this game but generally, seemingly in line with prevailing editorial sentiment. Struck me as a bit overboard for a supposed impartial source.

They DESERVE IT, they won the game handily. What do you want, a story talking about how good Pitt played?

No, of course not. The writing is not the issue. My beef is with the image; both the choice & size. It's not the usual image that you take at face value as a moment in the game. No, I think this image symbolizes the personal & editorial views of the Post Gazette sports staff re: PSU vs Pitt, something you might expect if the paper was based in Central PA.

You guys do know the key to beating Franklin is to out recruit him.Right now there are only a few teams that are doing that.We don't like to admit it but the more stars you have the more wins you will have( unless you are Brady Hoke)!We don't play Franklin untill 2023 maybe his act will get old by then but I doubt it.No matter what we say about him,fraud,used car salesman,snake in the grass,enabler,a**hole,cultist etc the kids love him.As long as the big star recruits keep going to Happy Valley we'll being playing second fiddle to him!

We will never out recruit them consistently. What Pitt needs to do is recruit better. The gaps between the classes are too high. Look at all those years WVU was great, Pitt out recruited WVU but WVU got a great playmaker in Pat White and found guys like Henry and Garvin and Pac Man and Slaton who weren't recruited by the big schools.

Reactions: pittmeister
I think the main image last year was the Connor-Lewis hug. Which would have been perfectly fitting, and can be taken at face value. This image, however, was symbolic; selected & showcased to reinforce visually the sense of PSU superiority, not just in this game but generally, seemingly in line with prevailing editorial sentiment. Struck me as a bit overboard for a supposed impartial source.
Eh, that could be overanalyzing or could be valid. Either way, whatever, let them enjoy this one. We're on the other side of the rivalry now which they were on last year in that we hope to get them next year with better chances seeing as they lose more key players and won't be playing in Creepy Valley.

In the meantime we brush it off and hope Pitt can have a good year. While I'm not optimistic about this actually happening, if losing to PSU this year means we can somehow beat Miami and VT, I'll take that. You never know I guess.

Also to the poster saying you hope we can have a defender who can pummel someone like that... it's not like we haven't. Juan Price last year gave McSorley the business. But yeah, that's in the past and we need playmakers on D who can step up.

They won so they should enjoy it.....fanboy ppg writers as well. Was there a photo of a spu player gloating over an Akron player last week? hmmm
Well yeah I agree that's the thing. I saw someone on Twitter say Franklin is that kid who got an A+ on a test and told everyone he didn't even study, even though he really did. Pretty accurate assessment.

Actually very much believe Franklin assembles great assistants. Will be interesting to see how PSU looks after the likely departure of Morehead in the offseason. But, hell, Tennessee, Auburn and other recruit at the level of PSU and don't win huge. Neither does/did Ole Miss. Hell, teams like Stanford show the ability to upend USC.

No, of course not. The writing is not the issue. My beef is with the image; both the choice & size. It's not the usual image that you take at face value as a moment in the game. No, I think this image symbolizes the personal & editorial views of the Post Gazette sports staff re: PSU vs Pitt, something you might expect if the paper was based in Central PA.
The image is accurate as to the state of the Programs, Pitt isn't willing to do ANYTHING to win. When was the last time Pitt was Top 5? Top 10, even within the Top 20? Does the leadership of the university seem to be bothered that they aren't there?

Last year, it was a close game, this year it was a blowout. Don't tell me Pitt shot itself in the foot, sooting yourself in the foot is still losing.

If PSU loses Moorhead they'll replace him with another very good OC because they'll pay him handsomely!They have the money to replace and keep good coaches.We dont like to admit it but Franklin has it made up there.Hes got the resources,big stadium,good education,college campus atmosphere and he's a charismatic guy to recruits.The train is rolling at PSU and Pitt and WVU are still at the station!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT