ADVERTISEMENT

Potential OC candidates

Mark Whipple resigned or whatever on December 7th 2021. Narduzzi hired Cignetti on January 12th. So, about a 5 week turnaround which is insane. If he takes a month and hires someone good, so be it, but he’s taking forever to hire trash.

Reactions: columbus mike
Mark Whipple resigned or whatever on December 7th 2021. Narduzzi hired Cignetti on January 12th. So, about a 5 week turnaround which is insane. If he takes a month and hires someone good, so be it, but he’s taking forever to hire trash.
Especially considering he should have been pretty sure he was going to fire Cignetti weeks before the season ended. So he should have been ready to move the day he was fired.

You think offensive skill guys with NFL aspirations, especially QBs, aren’t concerned about the type of offense they’re committing to?

Of course. You don't need a OC in place to communicate the type of offense you're going to run.

You think the QBs on the roster should enter the portal until an OC is hired? That's silly.

Hendon Hooker enrolled at Tennessee when he had no clue who was even going to be the head coach.

Last edited:
lol, what? The passing game was atrocious. Let’s not do this…
Because of QB & OL play. The running game was also atrocious.

Bub Means made dramatic improvement. He went from an unreliable athletic project type to a fairly reliable #1. Mumpfield had a horrible habit dropping balls he let get to his body. He' did a much better job catching with his hands this year.

WRs had a solid year, despite not having any real standout talent.

One other point, and I think it speaks volumes to the job Underwood did this year.... It's not easy too keep guys focused, improving, and their morale up when they are hamstrung by bad/mediocre QB play. Some professionals should take notes.

Seriously, what specific gripes do you have with the WRs, besides just a general "the passing game sucked" comment?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4upmc
Of course. You don't need a OC in place to communicate the type of offense you're going to run.

You think the QBs on the roster should enter the portal until an OC is hired? That's silly.

Hendon Hooker enrolled at Tennessee when he had no clue who was even going to be the head coach.
We’ll see how many QB commitments we get before the OC hire is a done deal.
Especially after what happened with Slovis, who committed before the brilliant Cignasty hire, thinking he’d be running the Kenny Pickett offense.

It's all about talent. A lot UGA's current offensive staff was with Muschamp at SC.

Right. And I don’t really want to do what Kirby does on offense either.

It works for him because he can take incompetent OCs and surround them with 5*.

But I have no interest in following the offensive philosophy of the Kirby Smarts and Will Muschamps. That is much of Narduzzi’s problem.

Last edited:
Most players in the portal aren't concerned about an OC or position coach. It's purely transactional.

This is wrong. Particularly in the portal where even more of the players are concerned about this being their showcase year.

This is wrong. Particularly in the portal where even more of the players are concerned about this being their showcase year.
It's not wrong at all.

For the most part, the transfer market is guys who have exhausted their welcome at their current school, fail to project well in the draft, and now they are looking for a landing spot that will earn them the highest paycheck before they exhaust their eligibility

Coaches know what these guys can do and they aren't going to bother to pursue them if they don't feel the offense is a match for their skill set.

Bub Means made dramatic improvement. He went from an unreliable athletic project type to a fairly reliable #1. Mumpfield had a horrible habit dropping balls he let get to his body. He' did a much better job catching with his hands this year.

One other point, and I think it speaks volumes to the job Underwood did this year.... It's not easy too keep guys focused, improving, and their morale up when they are hamstrung by bad/mediocre QB play. Some professionals should take notes.

Seriously, what specific gripes do you have with the WRs, besides just a general "the passing game sucked" comment?
It seems like you’re just passing blame to someone else. Just because Bub Means became a deep threat doesn’t mean Underwood became a good WR coach. What other WR made marked progress under Underwood? Since one of the strikes here against Marion is he didn’t bring in anyone, so I ask, Who has Underwood recruited that can make an impact in this offense?

Marion turned an Uber talented WR in Jordan Addison into a Biletnikoff award winner and helped him become a 1st round pick.

The other point about keeping WR’s focused is nonsense. These are paid professionals where the expectation is that they produce. Bad QB play or OL play is part of the game, find a way to overcome the challenge.

The other point about keeping WR’s focused is nonsense. These are paid professionals where the expectation is that they produce. Bad QB play or OL play is part of the game, find a way to overcome the challenge.
You say this just as Warren and Johnson called out teammates for taking the Cardinals lightly, Fitzpatrick said guys don’t put in the work, Joe Schobert said it could get too lax if the veterans didn’t stay on top of the young guys, and Tomlin having to speak to Pickens on the sidelines about his attitude and effort.

It's not wrong at all.

For the most part, the transfer market is guys who have exhausted their welcome at their current school, fail to project well in the draft, and now they are looking for a landing spot that will earn them the highest paycheck before they exhaust their eligibility

Coaches know what these guys can do and they aren't going to bother to pursue them if they don't feel the offense is a match for their skill set.

Sure. It’s not true of JAGs that have no leverage in the market.

I assume the poster wasn’t talking about the “throw a rock and hit 10 guys like him, both in the portal and on your team already” transfer types.

Wow I really love the point you made about keeping the WR group focused in spite of a grossly mismanaged QB room. It was almost criminal for Cignetti to keep cashing his paychecks. I hadn't considered that point before but there was zero finger pointing or hissy fits etc. I'm glad they were able to keep him.

It seems like you’re just passing blame to someone else. Just because Bub Means became a deep threat doesn’t mean Underwood became a good WR coach. What other WR made marked progress under Underwood? Since one of the strikes here against Marion is he didn’t bring in anyone, so I ask, Who has Underwood recruited that can make an impact in this offense?

Marion turned an Uber talented WR in Jordan Addison into a Biletnikoff award winner and helped him become a 1st round pick.

Right. WRs can always overcome the challenge of passes thrown 10 yards short or 10 feet over their heads. They just have to work out more so they get longer arms. They can also overcome the challenge of passes never being thrown due to QB pressure by helping to block DLs before running their routes.

Clown world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT