NC State 7-5 4-4
Wake Forest 7-5 4-4
Syracuse 7-5 3-5
Duke 6-6 3-5
Boston College 5-7 2-6
Virginia Tech 5-7 2-6
Georgia Tech 4-8 2-6
Virginia 3-9 1-7

Those seem like reasonable predictions. Obviously they predict us to have an out-of-conference loss, because I don't think we've ever gone without at least one of those.

Predicted Finish: ACC
OVERALL CONF.
Clemson 11-1 8-0
Florida State 10-2 7-1
North Carolina 9-3 5-3
Pittsburgh 8-4 5-3
Louisville 8-4 5-3
Miami 8-4 5-3
NC State 7-5 4-4
Wake Forest 7-5 4-4
Syracuse 7-5 3-5
Duke 6-6 3-5
Boston College 5-7 2-6
Virginia Tech 5-7 2-6
Georgia Tech 4-8 2-6
Virginia 3-9 1-7
That looks pretty accurate. I’d flip Duke and SU.

Two of the schools that the Big10/SEC covet the most (LOL) aren't even making a bowl?!!! Blasphemy!
I swear the B1G is only interested in more cupcakes for tOSU and Michigan. It’s the most arrogant, yet vanilla and less than mediocre football brand over the past 30 years.

8-4 would be an excellent season this year. Don't know if I see it, but I'll tip my hat to Narduzzi if we get there.

Without going position by position, I think my thoughts on this season can be summed up like this: When you have this many questions marks, they don't usually all become exclamation points.

8-4 would be an excellent season this year. Don't know if I see it, but I'll tip my hat to Narduzzi if we get there.

Without going position by position, I think my thoughts on this season can be summed up like this: When you have this many questions marks, they don't usually all become exclamation points.
This program will never NOT have a ton of question marks particularly with more and more reliance on transfers every year. I can only give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. I doubt our previous three or four coaches would have delivered a season like last year given the chaos at QB and the late loss of Addison. And it looked bleak for awhile. But he rallies them.

Reactions: Dointhatrag
This program will never NOT have a ton of question marks particularly with more and more reliance on transfers every year. I can only give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. I doubt our previous three or four coaches would have delivered a season like last year given the chaos at QB and the late loss of Addison. And it looked bleak for awhile. But he rallies them.

I still thought we had significantly more talent than most teams on our schedule last year, though. Like we knew coming into the season that our o-line would be solid, and it was solid enough that our best o-linemen going into this season wasn't even a starter to begin last season. We knew the d-line was one of the best in the country (even if the guys not named Kancey underperformed a bit). We knew what kind of player Dennis was; we knew the safeties were a plus; we knew who Izzy was; etc. We go 11-1 with just average QB play last year. .

This year, there are fewer position groups that are guaranteed plusses. O-line and cornerback, definitely. But then what? Outside of a few guys who CAN be difference makers this year, it seems like most of the starters/upperclassmen are probably solid but closer to bridge guys. I'm skeptical when guys who didn't get on the field much in 3 or 4 years, or who did get on the field but didn't contribute much, are slated to be starters/big contributors this season. I mean, you do see it every now and then where things just click and a guy gets way better in his final, or penultimate, season. But if I go by position:

1) Quarterback - Frankly, I'm not sold. He had a decent (not good) season three years ago and has been bad since. Would not shock me if the Canadian is the starter by season's end.

2) Running Back - I really like Hammond, but he isn't the home run back who can just house one when you're offense is sputtering, like Izzy was. He also goes straight at guys and takes a lot of hits.

3) Tight End - I do think they'll be better this year, but Bartholomew still has to prove he can do it from the traditional (i.e. not H-back) spot, because he didn't last year.

4) Receiver - Very high ceiling, low floor potential. The definition of question mark city.

5) O-line - Should be a huge plus.

6) DT - Solid, but I'm not convinced there's a difference maker there this year. I see a lot of the Amir Watts type, as opposed to Kancey or Twyman. And the difference between winning and losing can be paper thin; those difference makers, well, make all the difference.

7) DE - Like DT, I see guys who can hold their own, but no one who jumps off the page. Now, at both groups on the d-line, I think there are some younger guys who could be pretty big time (Okunola, Neal, Camon, maybe Scott, etc.). But being that as soon as this season seems a little less likely (and the true freshmen will likely redshirt, obviously).

8) LB - This could very a very solid group, and I lean toward that. But I don't underestimate the importance of having Dennis calling out assignments, etc. Goodness knows Kamara missed enough of them last season,

9) CB - I think we should be fine. Well, at least with the top three. After that... ???

10) Safety - Very difficult position to learn in this defense. Breaking in two new ones may or may not make for a bumpy ride.

I think many people forget that the team that beat UCLA was basically the team that will be playing this fall.

Look at Dorian Thompson Robinson picking apart NFL defenses in the preseason. Speaks volumes to the job Pitt did against him in the Sun Bowl.

I am not concerned about the DLINE at all, under Narduzzi Pitt always reloads, always will be the strength of the team. And to think if stars really matter, Pitt did more with less. Hayes, Johnson, etc. were higher rated than the guys that broke out previously.

I think many people forget that the team that beat UCLA was basically the team that will be playing this fall.

Look at Dorian Thompson Robinson picking apart NFL defenses in the preseason. Speaks volumes to the job Pitt did against him in the Sun Bowl.

I am not concerned about the DLINE at all, under Narduzzi Pitt always reloads, always will be the strength of the team. And to think if stars really matter, Pitt did more with less. Hayes, Johnson, etc. were higher rated than the guys that broke out previously.

See, what I think people forget is that it took FIVE turnovers to beat that team by two points. They were mostly cutting through our defense like butter and then would shoot themselves in the foot with a boneheaded play. Too many people are getting big heads from the final score, in my opinion. They put up 310 yards passing on us and 141 yards rushing at a 5.2 yards/carry clip.

If we win the turnover battle by four each week, then I'm sure it will be a fantastic season.

That’s always been Pitt D under Duzz though. Get killed between the 20s, but don’t break and force the TOs. They also lost to Nick Patti lol.

See, what I think people forget is that it took FIVE turnovers to beat that team by two points. They were mostly cutting through our defense like butter and then would shoot themselves in the foot with a boneheaded play. Too many people are getting big heads from the final score, in my opinion. They put up 310 yards passing on us and 141 yards rushing at a 5.2 yards/carry clip.

If we win the turnover battle by four each week, then I'm sure it will be a fantastic season.
I'm pretty pessimistic at times, but you take the cake.

Reactions: GenesPlace
That’s always been Pitt D under Duzz though. Get killed between the 20s, but don’t break and force the TOs. They also lost to Nick Patti lol.

That’s not true. It’s not a defense that is designed to give up a ton of success down to down. It’s a defense that is systematically designed to do the opposite.

It all comes down to the offense.

Last year F+ had it as the 58th ranked offense in the country. So average at best.

This year it’s projecting to the offense to be 53rd. So basically the same offensive output.

If that’s the case, there’s going to be a lot of coin flip games. Where turnover luck is and late game management is the difference in the game. And it’s impossible to project which way the ball will bounce on a fumble, so impossible to project which way the turnover luck will go.

It all comes down to the offense.

Last year F+ had it as the 58th ranked offense in the country. So average at best.

This year it’s projecting to the offense to be 53rd. So basically the same offensive output.

If that’s the case, there’s going to be a lot of coin flip games. Where turnover luck is and late game management is the difference in the game. And it’s impossible to project which way the ball will bounce on a fumble, so impossible to project which way the turnover luck will go.
I'm not sure how much stock you can put into the F+ staying relatively constant year over year. Pitt was F+ offense ranked 80 in 2020, and jumped to 22 in 2021. Your Hurricanes went from 35 in 2021 to 94 in 2022.

I'm not sure how much stock you can put into the F+ staying relatively constant year over year. Pitt was F+ offense ranked 80 in 2020, and jumped to 22 in 2021. Your Hurricanes went from 35 in 2021 to 94 in 2022.

I don’t think it does, so that’s not something one needs to put stock in.

A better test would be what it projects preseason vs final ranking?

The Pitt over 7.5 wins might be the easiest bet of the year. Might get better action and take 10 wins. This team is not losing 3 times. WVU, SUCKS. Cincy, SUCKS. The only teams that our going to give us hickups are UNC and FSU

Why will Pitt easily win 10 + games you asked? PJ!!!!!

"Jurkovec has completed 72% of his passes this camp in 11-on-11". I mean seriously, WHO IS BEATING US with that % and a dominant run game?

So you think that instead of Syracuse going 3-5 and Duke going 3-5 you think that Syracuse is going to go 3-5 and Duke is going to go 3-5?
I have the overall records of 7-5 and 6-6 flipped. I didn’t think it would be that complicated to where I had to spell it out.

This has to be one of the most pessimistic views ever. 1) There is no such thing as a shut down defense anymore. Even Bama/Uga (that have nearly their entire defense drafted) give up points/yards. 2) An offense run by a guy that will be playing on Sundays designed by Chip Kelly will get theirs. 3) What you call boneheaded I call Pitt making the plays that were there for them to make. IMO, the defense earned those turnovers.

Not directed at you but a comment in general...PItt will have three or four GROWN MEN on the interior of that D-Line. I think that this will be a good transition year..let guys like Fitz and Neal experience/play alongside Danielson and Green. I've seen the latter two abuse and move many an OLineman...creating a blitz gap..or chewing up the interior on a stunt allowing the looping DE to maul the OG and push him right back into the QB.

This has to be one of the most pessimistic views ever. 1) There is no such thing as a shut down defense anymore. Even Bama/Uga (that have nearly their entire defense drafted) give up points/yards. 2) An offense run by a guy that will be playing on Sundays designed by Chip Kelly will get theirs. 3) What you call boneheaded I call Pitt making the plays that were there for them to make. IMO, the defense earned those turnovers.

Not directed at you but a comment in general...PItt will have three or four GROWN MEN on the interior of that D-Line. I think that this will be a good transition year..let guys like Fitz and Neal experience/play alongside Danielson and Green. I've seen the latter two abuse and move many an OLineman...creating a blitz gap..or chewing up the interior on a stunt allowing the looping DE to maul the OG and push him right back into the QB.

First interception... pretty routine dump-off that was airmailed a bit but still should have been caught. Not really anything Pitt did to cause it, and it probably cost UCLA 7. Second interception: Dude just didn't get his hands up, and we got a fortuitous bounce. Again, probably cost them 3 - 7. Also muffed a kickoff; did we cause that?

And on the other side, Wayne dropped a TD pass, so I'll count that as well. But if one were to look at the win probability for how that game played out, I'm sure the projections would say UCLA should have won. That's not being pessimistic; that's just calling it like I see it. I would say that Pitt outplayed and should have beat Louisville, for example. In fact, I'm pretty sure we had two of the highest win probabilities in the nation for teams that lost in both the GT and Louisville games.

• Haha
Reactions: CJsE and FireballZ

The defense only gave up 28 points to one of the best offenses in college football last year. We can agree to disagree but I give the D credit for creating those turnovers. That hit B George put on Robinson def rattled him. I dont care how many yards they give up, just buckle down in the redzone and create timely turnovers. Again, this was mostly Pitt backups playing against UCLA starters, and a now NFL QB that recently everybody has been praising for his preseason performance.

At end of the day all that matters is a W, all that other ish you talking just hoopla.

The defense only gave up 28 points to one of the best offenses in college football last year. We can agree to disagree but I give the D credit for creating those turnovers. That hit B George put on Robinson def rattled him. I dont care how many yards they give up, just buckle down in the redzone and create timely turnovers. Again, this was mostly Pitt backups playing against UCLA starters, and a now NFL QB that recently everybody has been praising for his preseason performance.

At end of the day all that matters is a W, all that other ish you talking just hoopla.

Okay. And it was a few goofy bounces after a month layoff away from being 42. We can agree to disagree that the defense played well. The funny thing is, Narduzzi and the players themselves have said they didn't.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Okay. And it was a few goofy bounces after a month layoff away from being 42. We can agree to disagree that the defense played well. The funny thing is, Narduzzi and the players themselves have said they didn't.
I never said they played well but creating those timely turnovers against a decent NFL QB prospect is a positive. It wasn't all bad as it seems you are making it out to be.

Why will Pitt easily win 10 + games you asked? PJ!!!!!

"Jurkovec has completed 72% of his passes this camp in 11-on-11". I mean seriously, WHO IS BEATING US with that % and a dominant run game?
You have to take practice stats with a grain of salt. Maybe that means our defense isn't as strong as we all think, and that is why our offense has looked good. Also, PJ is a guy that has seemed to take a beating at BC ... and we saw Slovis take a beating last year which led to Slovis getting banged up and resulting in some unpretty games. I assume PJ wears a different color jersey in practice and the D line isn't allowed to touch him in 11 on 11 -- is he going to complete 72% once the defense can start putting their hands on him?

Reactions: PittFanDan17

He's a mope. Best to ignore.

• Angry
Reactions: PittFanDan17
You have to take practice stats with a grain of salt. Maybe that means our defense isn't as strong as we all think, and that is why our offense has looked good. Also, PJ is a guy that has seemed to take a beating at BC ... and we saw Slovis take a beating last year which led to Slovis getting banged up and resulting in some unpretty games. I assume PJ wears a different color jersey in practice and the D line isn't allowed to touch him in 11 on 11 -- is he going to complete 72% once the defense can start putting their hands on him?
Not bad points but Phil is huge and athletic. He is not going to be a statue like SLovis was. Defense will be fine, if PJ proects ball, that is all we will need

Reactions: xslfyk4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT