ADVERTISEMENT

Presentation on Temple's campus stadium proposal

The initial move started in 1946 and was completed in 1956. And again, it was a small college at the time.

I guess some magic billionaire will give Pitt billions to move to Cranberry or something.

OK, I hadn't seen your post when I posed my question, but you had already answered it.

Dude I had it told to me about 25 yrs ago Pitt Gbg was on the table for being the Main Campus.

Don’t know, just throwing it out there for the Dream weavers et al who think a football field is going in Oakland.
Oakland is a mess and it’s going to get worse

they had the money given to them to move, Pitt could sell much more valuable property than Wake had
Actually, UPJ was the possible relocation target. That lasted about as long as the head on an Iron City at the Luna.
BTW, Oakland isn't all that bad. It's never looked like Boise State, and it looks OK these days. You want bucolic?? Get Hee Haw on demand, or hop onto FarmersOnly.com

Reactions: pittdan77
Dude I had it told to me about 25 yrs ago Pitt Gbg was on the table for being the Main Campus.

Don’t know, just throwing it out there for the Dream weavers et al who think a football field is going in Oakland.
Oakland is a mess and it’s going to get worse

they had the money given to them to move, Pitt could sell much more valuable property than Wake had
Greensburg? I’m not rooting for a team in Westmoreland County. If I want to root for a home team I go to Allegheny county, I want fentanyl laced heroine, I’ll go to Greensburg

If only life were that simple.
Actually, UPJ was the possible relocation target. That lasted about as long as the head on an Iron City at the Luna.
BTW, Oakland isn't all that bad. It's never looked like Boise State, and it looks OK these days. You want bucolic?? Get Hee Haw on demand, or hop onto FarmersOnly.com
No actually, I had it told from a very reliable top level administrator in person that it was absolutely Greensburg, and it was certainly more than a beer consideration....

Bucolic and Oakland are never two things I think of at the same time...

The rumor about UPJ likely started in the early 1960s when the university acquired the primary tract in Richland Township, donated by the Wilmore Coal Company, to build a permanent UPJ campus and move the college out of the Moxham neighborhood. For a year or so circa 1961 nothing was announced and rumors abounded, and continued for some time until the campus opened in 1967. But moving the main campus out of Oakland was never, and has never, been contemplated by the university. It is an urban myth.

Oakland, so disgusting...
Schenley_PlazaPano.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
The initial move started in 1946 and was completed in 1956. And again, it was a small college at the time.

I guess some magic billionaire will give Pitt billions to move to Cranberry or something.

LOL....I can only imagine to what and whom you are responding. If we are talking fairy billionaires and unicorn donors, I can tell you with 100% certainty that, outside of some sort of natural or man made disaster like Godzilla rampaging through the city, it would be a bazillion times more likely for Pitt to build a football stadium in Oakland than it would be to move the main campus out of Oakland. And I think everyone knows how likely the former is at this point.

If I want to root for a home team I go to Allegheny county, I want fentanyl laced heroine, I’ll go to Greensburg

Oh, great, now all the people in Fayette County are going to be pissed at you for not using them as the fentanyl capital of western PA. Or, well, they would, except they are probably all high.

Oh, great, now all the people in Fayette County are going to be pissed at you for not using them as the fentanyl capital of western PA. Or, well, they would, except they are probably all high.
I’ve taken my fair share of insults of Fayette county. I worked in fayette county for 3+ years so I earned that right.

I would love it if Pitt moved to Wake Forest.

But, I'd settle for an off campus football stadium built in Wake Forest.:)

LOL....I can only imagine to what and whom you are responding. If we are talking fairy billionaires and unicorn donors, I can tell you with 100% certainty that, outside of some sort of natural or man made disaster like Godzilla rampaging through the city, it would be a bazillion times more likely for Pitt to build a football stadium in Oakland than it would be to move the main campus out of Oakland. And I think everyone knows how likely the former is at this point.

Wake Forest moved, so obviously Pitt can too is the gist.

my man wants to just up and move the campus to Greensburg. I've never read a crazier post and of all the nonsense we spew on this board, that is truly saying something.

Actually you’re FOS

The gist of it is Oakland is going to continue to grow with non Pitt buildings and facilities infringing on Pitt making the place less and less like a campus and more and more overcrowded...

Two main things is moving Main out of Oakland had been kicked around....and if the dreamweavers think Pitt is going to build a football field in Oakland they’ll need a very very long sleep.

Reactions: Swervin27
my man wants to just up and move the campus to Greensburg. I've never read a crazier post and of all the nonsense we spew on this board, that is truly saying something.
I said if you could get one thing straight it had been considered. Never said move it there just that it had been looked at.
A wealthy industrialist & family made some nice contributions there years ago allowing Gbg to grow with some very nice facilities.
Get your facts in oreder ok

Pitt needs to get out of Uber overcrowded , part slum-like .........Oakland

Do it.

This would be an absolutely terrible idea. Yes. Let's move the campus away from all that history. All those buildings that people associate with Pitt. And put it in a super undesirable place. And what? Try and turn it into a PSU-style or Big 10-style farmland campus?

I said if you could get one thing straight it had been considered. Never said move it there just that it had been looked at.
A wealthy industrialist & family made some nice contributions there years ago allowing Gbg to grow with some very nice facilities.
Get your facts in oreder ok
Ok Paulbl, my bad man. I don’t want to put words in your mouth. I stand corrected.

Actually you’re FOS

The gist of it is Oakland is going to continue to grow with non Pitt buildings and facilities infringing on Pitt making the place less and less like a campus and more and more overcrowded...

Two main things is moving Main out of Oakland had been kicked around....and if the dreamweavers think Pitt is going to build a football field in Oakland they’ll need a very very long sleep.
I agree with your first sentence, pitt is losing it's presence, it's footprint in Oakland by the day. I don't think this is coincidence. you guys all go apesh*t about yet another hotel chain being built along forbes like it's this great thing. it's a freakin hotel with a nice lobby, wow, how great, another hotel, this is going to be soo cool..

pitt is getting pushed out of Oakland for tax revenue and upmc and you guys celebrate hotels. You live in Pittsburgh most of you, who gives a crap about a hotel in your hometown? YOu don't rent a room in a town that you have a house in, why would you? Rent a hotel room in Oakland or just drive 25 minutes home? What's wrong with you numbskulls.

No sell everything.......ask for big donations over 10 yrs while doing it.

Fact is a move was already considered; it sb again.

Oakland is a mess .
Much of it sorrowfully is slum like.
The "slum" aspect isn't owned by Pitt. The crooked bldg. inspectors who get paid to ignore crapallow the slumlords to prosper. And Peduto & Co. will not step in because Pitt isn't fully taxable.

The "slum" aspect isn't owned by Pitt. The crooked bldg. inspectors who get paid to ignore crapallow the slumlords to prosper. And Peduto & Co. will not step in because Pitt isn't fully taxable.
NTOP I never said the slumlike part is owned by Pitt
Cheez give it a break.

But it exists and it is a mess. Have you come into Oakland from Bates St.
holy shit it’s a dump.

My prediction is Temple's stadium gets derailed by local politics. Unless I missed a recent change, Mayor Kenney is opposed. It won't be popular among African American residents of North Philly and if you wan't to remain mayor or a city council person in that area (or in West Philly where there have been ongoing gentrification concerns around the growth of Penn) you're going to oppose a new stadium. But Temple is in a tough spot because of how the Eagles have played hardball with the Lincl lease. Unless there is sort of a grand compromise community benefits agreement that buys off the opposition, I don't see this actually happening.

I actually think they should go FCS and become rivals with Villanova etc. at that level but that's a whole other issue.

I actually think they should go FCS and become rivals with Villanova etc. at that level but that's a whole other issue.

Hell will freeze over first. Temple was in the old "college division" post World War II to around 1970, and it was an embarrassment for a school that size to be playing football at that level.

Hell will freeze over first. Temple was in the old "college division" post World War II to around 1970, and it was an embarrassment for a school that size to be playing football at that level.

Sure, you're right. Fwiw the gap between undergrads at Delaware and Temple aren't that big though. But with Umass and Charlotte having moving up, it'd be even more of an outlier to move down. FCS really is becoming small schools only, and probably has really been true since the giant directional Florida schools moved up.

Oakland is a slum? Say what?

There are several universities, multiple hospitals, world-class museums, restaurants, bars, etc. It’s all a slum? No, it’s very far from a slum.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Oakland is a slum? Say what?

There are several universities, multiple hospitals, world-class museums, restaurants, bars, etc. It’s all a slum? No, it’s very far from a slum.
the bar scene is lacking big time in Oakland. I think, I don't go bar hopping in Oakland anymore, sad to say. But some good college bars have closed down.

Any younger kids on here speak to the bar scene in Oakland? maybe I just have fond memories of CJs and Zeldas. I do remember the Sod, Calecos and of course Peters that is still there. Hemingways in 90's sucked but that's because we had CJs.

The point is University of Pittsburgh could absolutely build a stadium on campus or adjacent to it. It would certainly be expensive and it would certainly face opposition – there’s no question about either of those things.

Also, there are many very fair questions regarding the wisdom of spending the type of money necessary to build a nice stadium on or near campus.

However, the notion that it can’t be done because the area is too dangerous or because the property is too expensive is just not true.

BTW, how do those points even jibe? How can you be a slum whose property values are too high? The arguments have become so voluminous and nonsensical that they contradict each other.

Pitt could absolutely build a nice right-sized stadium on or near campus. Whether or not they should do that can only be answered through careful study, which has obviously not happened yet.

didn't we hire a consulting firm to do a study of Oakland, specific to athletic venue expansion? I swear there was something done by the university and they were planning on releasing this info some time this year. Not exactly football stadium expansion but other sports. Im talking about a serious study looking at our infrastructure, land, etc. The pitt website had all these dates and timelines and objectives on this. a

nyone remember this? a facilities master plan by populous? Did anything ever come of this?

didn't we hire a consulting firm to do a study of Oakland, specific to athletic venue expansion? I swear there was something done by the university and they were planning on releasing this info some time this year. Not exactly football stadium expansion but other sports. Im talking about a serious study looking at our infrastructure, land, etc. The pitt website had all these dates and timelines and objectives on this. anyone remember this?

Ahhh, the Populous study, whose results remain sealed in a safe in the basement of the Cathedral. Only Heather Lyke, Pat Gallagher, and Scotty the Hot Dog Guy have the combo. It can never be shown t the public. For the record, secretive as $hit Penn State released their results in a public meeting

Ahhh, the Populous study, whose results remain sealed in a safe in the basement of the Cathedral. Only Heather Lyke, Pat Gallagher, and Scotty the Hot Dog Guy have the combo. It can never be shown t the public. For the record, secretive as $hit Penn State released their results in a public meeting
I wasn't expecting grand plans of a new stadium or anything but I was expecting something from this. I mean I know we got new LED lights at the Pete and all but not sure you needed an outside consulting firm for this.

Did we at least get a new "international room" in the cathedral?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT