ADVERTISEMENT

Presentation on Temple's campus stadium proposal

I've mentioned it a few times before - as a former resident of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia - but Temple's situation is just not analogous to Pitt's. Temple owns the land used for its proposed site. The proposed site is flat and construction will be easy and cheap. They'll be demo-ing an outdoor club and intramural sports field which can be easily sited elsewhere in North Philly. I mean, it's just apples to oranges and whether Temple ultimately builds an on-campus stadium says nothing about how the respective universities and football programs should be compared.

I've mentioned it a few times before - as a former resident of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia - but Temple's situation is just not analogous to Pitt's. Temple owns the land used for its proposed site. The proposed site is flat and construction will be easy and cheap. They'll be demo-ing an outdoor club and intramural sports field which can be easily sited elsewhere in North Philly. I mean, it's just apples to oranges and whether Temple ultimately builds an on-campus stadium says nothing about how the respective universities and football programs should be compared.

Wait, are you suggesting that Pitt doesn't have infinite space to expand? I was led to believe that the only thing stopping us from everlasting glory in footbawwwwwwwww was that nerdy egghead in charge!

It'll never happen.

1. It is impossible to find land in the inner city.

2. No school would waste money on a facility that is only used 7 times per year.

1. Why is it surrounded by water? It's all land. Forbes Field and the Syria Mosque were long-time established landmarks in Oakland. And where are they now? https://gizmodo.com/9-of-the-most-beautiful-buildings-we-ever-tore-down-1524596913

https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...conic-structures-demolished-in-past-20-years/

https://www.archdaily.com/522991/the-10-tallest-buildings-ever-demolished

2. No one builds a football stadium/facility that's used only seven times a year. You know better than that SMF.

Pitt owns plenty of land where a stadium can be built.

1. The site of the baseball/softball/soccer complex

2. OC lot/Trees Hall

3. Hillman Library/Posvar Hall (rebuild them somewhere else)

And if course, as crazy as this sounds, Pitt could always purchase building and demo them.

It'll never happen.

1. It is impossible to find land in the inner city.

2. No school would waste money on a facility that is only used 7 times per year.

"Temple would use the stadium only for the school’s six home games each year."

So I guess technically you are correct, it won't be used seven times a year. It will be used six.

"There are no plans to allow tailgating in parking lots, Ibeh said."

Pitt fans would absolutely love that, wouldn't they. Yet that's pretty much what you'd get with a stadium in Oakland.

They should already have a stadium but Ed REndell was a moron. The soccer stadium was built outside the city. Rendell was looking out for his political cronies and ignoring the masses.

The soccer stadium should have been in the city and the soccer team/Temple would have both used it.

I love how some of you previously said that Temple was just pretending so that they could force the Eagles to give then a better deal. Hmm? So what happened?

Now some of the same posters will come up with something else.

So I guess technically you are correct, it won't be used seven times a year. It will be used six.

On the Broad Street side of the facility, there will be opportunities for mixed-use spaces, including significant space for retail. All retail development will face Broad Street.

It also shows the potential for mixed-use and retail spaces that can be used by both the Temple community and the community at large.

This shows a diagram of the inside of the mixed-use space along 16th Street, which will include event space, suites, the press box, classrooms and research space.

the multipurpose facility.....

Pitt fans would absolutely love that, wouldn't they. Yet that's pretty much what you'd get with a stadium in Oakland.

Temple has explored what other universities with on- campus stadiums, including the University of Georgia, Florida A&M University, the University of Mississippi and the University of Oregon, do to handle game-day celebrations. These universities set up tents and tables either indoors or outdoors in the interior of their campuses.

On the Broad Street side of the facility, there will be opportunities for mixed-use spaces, including significant space for retail. All retail development will face Broad Street.

It also shows the potential for mixed-use and retail spaces that can be used by both the Temple community and the community at large.

This shows a diagram of the inside of the mixed-use space along 16th Street, which will include event space, suites, the press box, classrooms and research space.

the multipurpose facility.....

You don't need a stadium to do any of that stuff. They could put mixed-use and retail space there pretty much tomorrow if they wanted to.

The main difference between Pitt and Temple is that Temple's deal with the eagles, is horrible compared to Pitt's. EVen saying that its a horrible waste of money for the school if they are not going to incorporate other events at the stadium. Temple football just isn't in the big leagues and never will be.

Temple has explored what other universities with on- campus stadiums, including the University of Georgia, Florida A&M University, the University of Mississippi and the University of Oregon, do to handle game-day celebrations. These universities set up tents and tables either indoors or outdoors in the interior of their campuses.

Georgia, Mississippi and Oregon all allow tailgating in their parking lots. I'm not sure why anyone would care what they do at Florida A&M. If that's what they are aspiring to, well, good luck with that.

Reactions: Swervin27
The main difference between Pitt and Temple is that Temple's deal with the eagles, is horrible compared to Pitt's. EVen saying that its a horrible waste of money for the school if they are not going to incorporate other events at the stadium. Temple football just isn't in the big leagues and never will be.

So Temple football just isn't in the big leagues and never will be, yet they will build and have their own brand spanking new on-campus stadium compared to say another university with nine college football national championships.

So Temple football just isn't in the big leagues and never will be, yet they will build and have their own brand spanking new on-campus stadium compared to say another university with nine college football national championships.
having an on campus stadium defines a team being in the proverbial "Big leagues?" Duquesne has a field smack dab in the middle of campus. Clarion has it's own stadium too, kind of a walk from the campus though. not sure that is a defining characteristic of "big league" football.

Reactions: RHS14
[QUOTE"TempleBAPittMPA, post: 2272623, member: 610"]True, but attaching it to a stadium helps the stadium pay for itself.[/QUOTE]

No, it diverts money that could be used elsewhere to help pay for a stadium. Which is fine if that's what you want to do with the money, but the stadium isn't creating the money, the stores and restaurants are.

having an on campus stadium defines a team being in the proverbial "Big leagues?" Duquesne has a field smack dab in the middle of campus. Clarion has it's own stadium too, kind of a walk from the campus though. not sure that is a defining characteristic of "big league" football.

You're right. Not having one looks like your serious about football and looks more big league than having one.

You're right. Not having one looks like your serious about football and looks more big league than having one.
lol, well im not saying that. I just think it's typical pitt bad luck. every damn hospital, hotel chain and office development company wants to build in Oakland. we just don't have any damn land.

hills and rivers, hotels and hospitals, add in every other parcel of land or brick is designated as a "treasured historical landmark" and we just are out of space.

lol, well im not saying that. I just think it's typical pitt bad luck. every damn hospital, hotel chain and office development company wants to build in Oakland. we just don't have any damn land.

hills and rivers, hotels and hospitals, add in every other parcel of land or brick is designated as a "treasured historical landmark" and we just are out of space.
Pitt needs to get out of Uber overcrowded , part slum-like .........Oakland

Do it.

Do it.
and go where? I disagree, Pitt is Oakland, Oakland is pitt. UPMC needs to get out of Oakland, the city needs to get out of Pitt's way. you don't need 18 hospitals all within a 1 1/2 square mile block of Oakland, you don't. There are other places to put a hospital. You don't need 19 hotels along forbes, you don't.

Do it.
and go where? I disagree, Pitt is Oakland, Oakland is pitt. UPMC needs to get out of Oakland, the city needs to get out of Pitt's way. you don't need 18 hospitals all within a 1 1/2 square mile block of Oakland, you don't. There are other places to put a hospital. You don't need 19 hotels along forbes, you don't.

Yep. I wished UPMC would have built their own campus (maybe on the Mon in Hazelwood) like Cleveland Clinic. Oakland is too small for Pitt and UPMC.

Reactions: paulbl99
It’s happened... ....Wake Forest left .....Wake Forest NC !!

What isn’t Hospitals , Medical Bldgs , office buildings etc is pretty much otherwise a dump.
Congestion has people backside to belly buttons.
What a mess

You know what they say about wishing in one hand... it is only going to get worse much worse for Pitt

Last edited:
It isn't approved yet. Nor is it financed.

It’s happened... ....Wake Forest left .....Wake Forest !!

What isn’t Hospitals , Medical Bldgs , office buildings etc is pretty much otherwise a dump.
Congestion has people backside to belly buttons.
What a mess
so where should we go? just up and move a school? How bout south Fayette so we can all be one of those douche bags from there who bore everyone to tears about school taxes and a top golf.

Dude, you just cant move a college. We are not University of phoenix.

so where should we go? just up and move a school? How bout south Fayette so we can all be one of those douche bags from there who bore everyone to tears about school taxes and a top golf.

Dude, you just cant move a college. We are not University of phoenix.
Again
Wake Forest moved 100 miles or more.
Oakland is an overcrowded congested dump

If you think that is going to improve

I’ve got some very bad news.

Again
Wake Forest moved 100 miles or more.
Oakland is an overcrowded congested dump

If you think that is going to improve

I’ve got some very bad news.
ok, tell me where you want to go. you are talking about just up and moving a major college, like we are a bunch of gypsies.

ok, tell me where you want to go. you are talking about just up and moving a major college, like we are a bunch of gypsies.

I'm trying to decide if he is just being sarcastic or not. I'd think sarcastic, but guys like SMF (who also may be just yanking our chain most of the time), and others on here I don't think think rationally most of the time. But who knows.

ok, tell me where you want to go.
Dude I had it told to me about 25 yrs ago Pitt Gbg was on the table for being the Main Campus.

Don’t know, just throwing it out there for the Dream weavers et al who think a football field is going in Oakland.
Oakland is a mess and it’s going to get worse
You are kidding with the Wake Forest comparative right?
they had the money given to them to move, Pitt could sell much more valuable property than Wake had

lol, well im not saying that. I just think it's typical pitt bad luck.

More like typical Pitt stupidity and incompetence. They had the space, and screwed up. Then screwed up again. And again. And again.... and again. If you go through the timeline of football related decisions since the early 80s, it's really quite amazing how poorly people can decide things.

Dude I had it told to me about 25 yrs ago Pitt Gbg was on the table for being the Main Campus.

Don’t know, just throwing it out there for the Dream weavers et al who think a football field is going in Oakland.
Oakland is a mess and it’s going to get worse

they had the money given to them to move, Pitt could sell much more valuable property than Wake had

It was in 1946 when they decided to move, the university was a small college, and 350 acres of land was donated to them where the main campus is now.

No where comparable to 18K students with billions invested in buildings and structure in Oakland, as well as a partnership with a multibillion dollar healthnetwork.

Oy vey.

It was in 1946 when they decided to move, the university was a small college, and 350 acres of land was donated to them where the main campus is now.

No where comparable to 18K students with billions invested in buildings and structure in Oakland, as well as a partnership with a multibillion dollar healthnetwork.

Oy vey.
Dude RJ Reynolds gave them tons of money to move to WS ; and they sure as hell did not move inthe 40s

How about half a clue

Dude RJ Reynolds gave them tons of money to move to WS ; and they sure as hell did not move inthe 40s

How about half a clue

The initial move started in 1946 and was completed in 1956. And again, it was a small college at the time.

I guess some magic billionaire will give Pitt billions to move to Cranberry or something.

The initial move started in 1946 and was completed in 1956. And again, it was a small college at the time.

I guess some magic billionaire will give Pitt billions to move to Cranberry or something.
No sell everything.......ask for big donations over 10 yrs while doing it.

Fact is a move was already considered; it sb again.

Oakland is a mess .
Much of it sorrowfully is slum like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT