ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Football Network 2024 Mock Draft

I think Harris is just a good 'professional' RB - like they say someone is a professional hitter in baseball. Good attitude, knows his assignments, will get what's blocked, etc. He's a good solid NFL RB - a middle of the pack starting quality. But he's not a Top RB and nowhere near a generational player or hall of famer. Would have been great value in the 3rd round.

As Hammond, he is great at running tough and breaking tackles, but lacks top end speed. The opposite of Izzy lol So, I guess late round pick for him too.

Taking Harris was dumb because he isn't a difference maker and he plays RB. If your taking a RB in round 1 he better be something special. Harris is just ok.
The Steelers were in a tough position. All of the good Tackles were gone and it was way too high to take Humphrey or Dickerson. What they should have done is move back in the 1st round, or even the beginning of the 2nd and get say an extra 3rd and 5th. Then if Harris or Etienne or the UNC back (Williams?) is still there, you can take them or take Dickerson or Humphrey then.

The Steelers were in a tough position. All of the good Tackles were gone and it was way too high to take Humphrey or Dickerson. What they should have done is move back in the 1st round, or even the beginning of the 2nd and get say an extra 3rd and 5th. Then if Harris or Etienne or the UNC back (Williams?) is still there, you can take them or take Dickerson or Humphrey then.
My most effective boss always said to us underlings that the biggest (yet most delicate) skill by far is knowing how to tell your boss “no” to something clearly wrong that he says he wants, without him knowing (or at least not getting offended to the point of firing you) that he’s been reneged.

In the Najee Harris case, a lot if not all of it was the old guy proclaiming (multiple times in the off-season) that, with Ben leaving, he wanted the Steelers to once again become a predominately running offense. Maybe Art was channeling 1976, dunno, but the real football guys in the draft room needed to back him away from that.

But they clearly lacked that skill, at least that year.

Najee is going to be fine - the biggest mistake was taking a TE with the second pick with Humphrey and Dickerson still on the board.

If you can take a running back with no speed in the first round, you can absolutely take a great IOL prospect like Dickerson or Humphrey. Dickerson had an injury red flag but Humphrey was maybe the cleanest and safest prospect in the entire draft. High floor, high upside player. If the Steelers wanted a RB in the first, Etienne at least brings game-breaking speed to the equation.

Najee is going to be fine - the biggest mistake was taking a TE with the second pick with Humphrey and Dickerson still on the board.
At least Freiermuth is pushing to be a top-5 TE in the NFL and likely to get a second contract. Harris is a mid-level starter who may get the franchise tag before he his free agency.

If you can take a running back with no speed in the first round, you can absolutely take a great IOL prospect like Dickerson or Humphrey. Dickerson had an injury red flag but Humphrey was maybe the cleanest and safest prospect in the entire draft. High floor, high upside player. If the Steelers wanted a RB in the first, Etienne at least brings game-breaking speed to the equation.

At least Freiermuth is pushing to be a top-5 TE in the NFL and likely to get a second contract. Harris is a mid-level starter who may get the franchise tag before he his free agency.
Pushing to be a top 5 TE based on what? And that's not saying much if your name is not Kelcie, Kittles or Andrews....he's not close to any of them. And I don't disagree about Etienne, that's who I would have drafted but Humphrey was there for the picking - that should have been the pick.

Pushing to be a top 5 TE based on what? And that's not saying much if your name is not Kelcie, Kittles or Andrews....he's not close to any of them. And I don't disagree about Etienne, that's who I would have drafted but Humphrey was there for the picking - that should have been the pick.
No. 6 in PFF rankings https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-tight-end-rankings-top-15-ahead-of-the-2023-nfl-season

The exact ranking really doesn't matter, just the simple fact that Freiermuth is a better tight end than Najee is at running back and I'd rather have Humphrey/Freiermuth over Harris/Humphrey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT