ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of this year's team

Gep Dawg

Freshman
Dec 6, 2015
Despite some head scratching play and even more unexplainable game day coaching I am very proud of this team. I know the expectations were very high heading into the season. But there was so many challenges this year with players in and out of the game day roster and games being moved and everything else. Despite that and some truly frustrating losses early the team hung in there. And not only did they complete all 11 games in the season, not a formality these days, they had a winning record and most likely a bowl bid. And all 5 losses came against winning teams as well as we all knew the post COVID 19 schedule that was given to us by ACC was unfairly tough for some reason.

Narduzzi can be frustrating on game day (even last night!) but his players don't quit on him ever in season. And next year the team has another great recruiting class. Maybe they finally even breakthrough and win 9-10 games.

Agreed ... would like to have beaten NC state and BC ... but those games both were lost in such a fluke manner I can’t get that upset of it

Exactly and they both turned out to be bowl teams. Would have been 7-4 or 8-3 if we win one or both games. Especially with the other losses being to top 10-15 teams.

Reactions: Rjp8769
Nice thread. I believe the ceiling on this team was 8-3. They settled for 6-5. Disappointing as it is, Narduzzi never really lost the team. That says a lot. It remains to be seen if he can take the program up a level and consistently compete to get in to the ACC championship game. Assuming this top 20 class is legit, perhaps we’re looking at the beginning of a rise in the level of play.

It would have been nice to have those 2 wins, but honestly, it really wouldn't make me think of this season much differently. Miami only has 1 loss and nobody really talks about the Canes. To me, 2020 was just a whole set of unprecedented challenges, and all things considered, I think Pitt navigated it very admirably.

Reactions: LVNVPanther
agreed. With the schedule change, opt outs and way we finished the season I too am proud of my schools team

Despite some head scratching play and even more unexplainable game day coaching I am very proud of this team. I know the expectations were very high heading into the season. But there was so many challenges this year with players in and out of the game day roster and games being moved and everything else. Despite that and some truly frustrating losses early the team hung in there. And not only did they complete all 11 games in the season, not a formality these days, they had a winning record and most likely a bowl bid. And all 5 losses came against winning teams as well as we all knew the post COVID 19 schedule that was given to us by ACC was unfairly tough for some reason.

Narduzzi can be frustrating on game day (even last night!) but his players don't quit on him ever in season. And next year the team has another great recruiting class. Maybe they finally even breakthrough and win 9-10 games.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I feel confident that our defense is going to be good as long as Narduzzi is the HC. I think there are some good pieces on the offensive side of the ball as well. The 2 keys to next year will be the development of the OL and the QB position. I saw some good things from some of the younger OL, in particular #76 that make me feel better about that group.

Good post. The record should have been 8-3 which made sense looking at the schedule. The two one point losses hurt. Pitt has to start beating the teams that should be beaten to reach those 10 wins seasons. Pitt handled the covid issue very well to play 11 games. The OL looks like there might be some help there Gonclaves is going to be a good linemen. Still like to see some TEs in the offense. The QB position will be up in the air. It be nice one year to have all positions at the same level to win most games. Proud of this team. The Oline was dominant in the run game the last drive was awesome to watch. H2P

Reactions: PittInMissouri
I think Pitt has the right coaches in place for your two important programs. It’s when you get rid of a coach who gets you 6-8 wins in a season that it becomes 4-6 wins a season.

Agreed for the most part. I expected a slightly above .500 season when first looking at the schedule. It was a tough schedule, and like others have said there were a few more games we should have won. I do think Whipple needs to be replaced, his offense is terrible, especially in the red zone.

Certainly feels better now but there still remains a huge issue with the OC. I dont think Duzz survives long term unless he cans Whipple.

I do like the talent on the defensive side of the ball so I agree with previous posts about the D being solid and continuing to improve.

There also are some pieces at WR on O to be optimistic about. But OC and QB are huge issues.

Certainly feels better now but there still remains a huge issue with the OC. I dont think Duzz survives long term unless he cans Whipple.

I do like the talent on the defensive side of the ball so I agree with previous posts about the D being solid and continuing to improve.

There also are some pieces at WR on O to be optimistic about. But OC and QB are huge issues.
Whipple needs to go but I'm hearing some things where Duzz might not replace any of his staff which is unfortunate.

if I were the coach I would make sure that the players remaining knew that these guys were going to have to make lots of money and then if they work hard maybe they can too!!

the opt outs over the last few weeks could have killed this team's moral. Impressed the coaching staff held the team together.

Before the season my guess was 9-10 wins this year. Without covid, nothing changed my opinion they would have won 9-10 games.

Whipple needs to go but I'm hearing some things where Duzz might not replace any of his staff which is unfortunate.

I am not sure it is that unfortunate. I am also one of many on this board who have called for both Borbely and Whipple to get fired. That said, I have seen improvement in the blocking and in the offensive game planning. I don’t think it is a total loss to retain the staff given the talent they have been able to attract. Perhaps they don’t have the talent they need to fit in their system. I think Borbely and Whipple didn’t work well together initially but that seems to be changing(G tech game, albeit lesser competition). Offensive recruits are coming because of Beatty, Whip’s pass-happy attack, and presumably an opportunity to play early. Borbely suddenly is recruiting O-linemen. If Narduzzi hits the reset button again he has to catch lightning in a bottle like Canada. That’s unlikely especially given the pressure he will face in the next year to win. He’s a conservative coach. I expect that he’ll stay the course or promote Beatty.

The best we can hope for is that Whips offense progresses and they promote from within when he retires. In my perfect world,I’d like to see Beatty eventually take the reins. Thoughts of going outside the program and getting a star OC are just a pipe dream.

Reactions: pierre93
Thumbs way up for this year’s team, it’s been a brutal 2020, and with guts and blood they powered their way through with an entertaining season, Very proud!

Reactions: pierre93
6th year. 6-5. I guess we get another participation trophy. We got blown out by the two good teams on our schedule. Lost another bunch of head scratchers to average teams. Not much to be excited about unless mediocrity is your thing.

Cruzer

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I’m proud of them for playing all 11 games despite everything. What I’m most proud of is something that Kirk Herbstreit said. When he suggested that Michigan would use COVID as an excuse to avoid a loss I realized that Pitt would never do that. Despite the circumstances we took or beating from ND and Clemson like men. Most importantly we finished the season strong after those embarrassments. That shows true character.

6th year. 6-5. I guess we get another participation trophy. We got blown out by the two good teams on our schedule. Lost another bunch of head scratchers to average teams. Not much to be excited about unless mediocrity is your thing.

Cruzer
Oh I'm not happy that we weren't competitive in the ND and Clemson games but we didn't pack it in either. This years grade would be between a B-and C+

Reactions: dave97
I’m proud of them for playing all 11 games despite everything. What I’m most proud of is something that Kirk Herbstreit said. When he suggested that Michigan would use COVID as an excuse to avoid a loss I realized that Pitt would never do that. Despite the circumstances we took or beating from ND and Clemson like men. Most importantly we finished the season strong after those embarrassments. That shows true character.
Please don't be too positive since some trolls will disagree.

I, too, am proud of this team. I honestly thought they would mail it in the rest of the season after the Notre Dame game. A lot of teams probably would have after losing two games by one point each and another game by 42.

Yes, it was frustrating and yes, Narduzzi clearly has his faults, but this team never quit and it paid off the final four weeks of the season. For that, I appreciate and respect this team for seeing a tumultuous season through. Here’s to 2021 being “the year.”

PN Gets a lot of heat, but man he keeps the team engaged and moving forward.
i dont recall a coach since gottfried who's teams fought as hard as PN'S teams do from start to finish from first game to last and from opening kick to final gun.

If he can jusy get this o figured out, we are a consistent 9 win team.
this years and last years classes are very good. this is the best we have seen in 20 years herr back to back.

our fans suck

Cruzer

I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say they lost "another bunch of head scratchers".

They lost a couple of 1 point games. One to a 6-5 team and the other to an 8-3 team. The other losses were to teams currently in the Top 10.

And to be fair, it doesn't matter whether a coach at Pitt in in his 6th year or 16th year, Pitt doesn’t have nearly the resources or advantages to put togethera a program that can consistently compete with programs like Norte Dame and Clemson.

I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say they lost "another bunch of head scratchers".

They lost a couple of 1 point games. One to a 6-5 team and the other to an 8-3 team. The other losses were to teams currently in the Top 10.

And to be fair, it doesn't matter whether a coach at Pitt in in his 6th year or 16th year, Pitt doesn’t have nearly the resources or advantages to put togethera a program that can consistently compete with programs like Norte Dame and Clemson.
Head scratchers as in, losses to very beatable teams that were a result of highly suspect coaching decisions, excessive penalties, bad play calling, and terrible execution. In short, games that we effectively gave away.

WRT consistently competing with ND or Clemson, I have no expectation that we'll consistently compete with them. I do expect that we won't be humiliated.

Reactions: Celtsfan

Cruzer

You nailed it , this year was a joke overall , next year will be more of the same. YIPPY

Head scratchers as in, losses to very beatable teams that were a result of highly suspect coaching decisions, excessive penalties, bad play calling, and terrible execution. In short, games that we effectively gave away.

WRT consistently competing with ND or Clemson, I have no expectation that we'll consistently compete with them. I do expect that we won't be humiliated.

That's Mrs Duzz you disrespecting. Lol

Miami only has 1 loss and nobody really talks about the Canes.

If you have watched any of their game this afternoon you know why.

The conference records of the teams that they have beaten this season is a combined 25-38. The only team they've beaten with a winning conference record is NC State. Who isn't any better than us.

If you have watched any of their game this afternoon you know why.

The conference records of the teams that they have beaten this season is a combined 25-38. The only team they've beaten with a winning conference record is NC State. Who isn't any better than us.

Exactly! You can't fake your way to greatness. Some Pitt fans act like some elusive 10 win season will somehow propel Pitt to a brighter future. Or if they had just beaten NCSU or BC, the perception would be so much better. (UNC also lost to 2 teams they should not have, btw)

And that game Saturday was a huge disgrace because one team showed up badly wanting to win and the other one didn't want to be there. That was a total lack of effort by the 'Canes.

Who's your QB for this glorious breakthrough season you speak of? How about your running back? What about your tight end? Who are your receivers outside of Addison? Will the OL be a lot better? Where/how will we find a running game? Who's running the offense and calling the plays? Will we be better defensively with several multi-year starters and best players all off to the NFL?

Most of us are not happy with mediocrity, but we are closer than you think. IF you have told me Duzz would blow out VA Tech and FSU in his 6th season, I would have said you were crazy. This appears to be his best recruiting class yet. Clemson is the only team that is way ahead of us as a program. we can legitimately be the 2nd best team in the conference.

Hail to Pitt!

Dave

Reactions: Gep Dawg
No we are not , what makes you think that ? We have NOTHING on the O coming back or that is there worth much, but go ahead and dont stop believing Journey. The D should be fine, no issue with that part of the team

Almost every team has at least one bad loss every year that can be attributed to bad coaching decisions, dumb penalties, lack of execution, questionable play calling, or lack of focus. That's just part of the game.

UNC lost 2 games to opponents they had no business losing to this year. Actually, other than ND, who got away with a couple of lackluster performances this year, every team in the ACC lost a game they feel they should have won.

Who's your QB for this glorious breakthrough season you speak of? How about your running back? What about your tight end? Who are your receivers outside of Addison? Will the OL be a lot better? Where/how will we find a running game? Who's running the offense and calling the plays? Will we be better defensively with several multi-year starters and best players all off to the NFL?

They have had several strong recruiting years including their best this year. You can say the same things before every season. Kids mature they step up. We lost Paris and Hamlin throughout the year and still finished the year strong. Narduzzi can recruit, that is easily his best attribute as a head coach. He might not load the team with 5 star players but he has enough 4 and 3 star recruits who buy in and become productive each year to assume one of these years the entire team will all put it all together in one year. Definitely might need a new offensive coordinator along the way, but they will get there eventually. It's not pie in the sky its just if you keep recruiting good players it will eventually happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT