ADVERTISEMENT

PSU ranked #408 as an institution

Pitt is #235.

I tend to think that these sorts of lists boost private schools a little more than what’s warranted - F&M, Gettysburg, Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette, Drexel, Dickinson, Bucknell, Grove City and St. Joseph’s are all fine schools, for sure, but I don’t know if I’d rank any of them above Pitt other than maybe Bucknell and Lehigh, and even then it’d be pretty darn close.

Pitt is #235.

I tend to think that these sorts of lists boost private schools a little more than what’s warranted - F&M, Gettysburg, Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette, Drexel, Dickinson, Bucknell, Grove City and St. Joseph’s are all fine schools, for sure, but I don’t know if I’d rank any of them above Pitt other than maybe Bucknell and Lehigh, and even then it’d be pretty darn close.
Villanova goes on that list well before Lehigh.

Drexel, Gove City, and St Joe's have no business being anywhere near Pitt, let alone above them.

Villanova goes on that list well before Lehigh.

Drexel, Gove City, and St Joe's have no business being anywhere near Pitt, let alone above them.
I didn’t necessarily list them in order. I was surprised at Drexel.

Some of the private schools are tough - Gettysburg, Dickinson and F&M are really good schools, but they’re just so different from a large public school like Pitt with 35,000 students that it’s almost impossible to legitimately compare them against each other.

Pitt is #235.

On top of that does it really matter? Is a company going to really hire a Franklin and Marshall grad over a Pitt grad because it is ranked 134 places higher? These rankings are great for brochures and fact sheets but in the real world are pretty meaningless.

On top of that does it really matter? Is a company going to really hire a Franklin and Marshall grad over a Pitt grad because it is ranked 134 places higher? These rankings are great for brochures and fact sheets but in the real world are pretty meaningless.

No, they dont matter much but they are fun. People like stuff like this and bowl projections and mock drafts. Nice to see PSUHS being ranked so low. Hopefully, they can remain a Top 5 Central PA university. St. Francis and Lock Haven are coming though.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don’t know that it is meaningless. I think a lot depends on the field you apply. I wouldn’t hire a Penn State grad to be a cashier at a grocery store. But, I would look at Pitt more favorably if I were hiring someone in the medical field. West Virginia has a great Landscape architecture program. Any Ivy League school for law students. So on…

Pitt is #235.

Reading through the methodology, it kind of makes sense how that happens. Keep in mind who tends to read Forbes. It's not really a measure of academics as much as financial outcomes. So you can have a bunch of kids who are already riding their family name or finances who are going to land somewhere prominent in life regardless of how they perform in school. So I'm not defending PSU, because they really could care less who you are or what you do in school so long as you pay the bucks, so they end up churning a lot of people through their system that never really do much with their degree.

Reactions: pittchagg
I didn’t necessarily list them in order. I was surprised at Drexel.

Some of the private schools are tough - Gettysburg, Dickinson and F&M are really good schools, but they’re just so different from a large public school like Pitt with 35,000 students that it’s almost impossible to legitimately compare them against each other.
Those schools are not comprehensive universities.
Where are their engineering schools, medical schools, law schools, pharmacy, social work, nursing, etc.
They have small class sizes and clubby social networks but guess what, the vast majority of the real world is not small or clubby.
The world looks a lot more like Pitt than it does like Gettysburg or Dickinson.

Reactions: LVNVPanther
Don't know much about the other small private schools, but Grove City is legit. If you know anyone that went there, ask them how hard it is. Top notch academics for an extremely affordable price. Main downfall is no drinking and no sex lol.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
no sex lol.
You know, that’s really profound. When I was at Pitt, I knew a girl who came down from Grove City with some friends for a weekend. She was the only person I ever knew who went there. And let’s just say it was very pleasing to me that she was like an alcoholic or smoker who went without a drink or a cigarette for a month.

Fun weekend.

Here are the ones that matter:

Pitt Rankings

Times Higher Ed
144 in the world
43 in USA
19 in USA public
13 in USA public outside of California System

Shanghai
82 in the world
36 in USA
16 in USA public
10 in USA public outside of California System

QS
222 in world
43 in USA
21 in USA public
16 in USA public outside of California System

US News Global Universities
45 in world
24 in USA
9 in USA public
5 in USA public outside of California System

US News Best Colleges (this one doesn’t matter)
62 in USA
23 in USA public
17 in USA public outside of California System

Here's Forbes' full ranking:

The thing I found funny: listed three slots below Pitt is something called "Gnomon", listed as being located in California. I've been living in California for approximately 25 years, and I've never heard of this institution. I think we've found the Bishop Sycamore of colleges and universities.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Folks in Philly think Drexel is on the level of Carnegie-Mellon.
Sure! Folks in Pittsburgh think Duquesne is on the level of Notre Dame, so I can see it.

No issues with Drexel. Definitely a fine school. Just don’t see them as #129 compared to Pitt’s #235. If you wanted to swap them in this ranking, I’d totally buy it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT