ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the next Pitt HC?

chirurgo

Redshirt
Feb 1, 2004

I can across this article of top assistants in college. My pick is Bill O’Brien.

I want an offensive-minded coach with head coaching experience, someone who has run a program. Big question is can we get him? I say only if you pay him and $5 million/yr should do it. He is worth the money.

I see no drawbacks with hiring him. His pedigree is better than anyone Pitt has hired since Jackie Sherrill. An assistant under Belichick, he won at Penn St at the lowest point of there history, therefore knows the recruiting grounds well. He runs the offense of the best college football program in the history of college football.

Narduzzi finishes the season. They lock him up before Bama goes to the National Championship a d he starts after. Maybe he leaves for Bama when Saban retires or leaves for a better job, but at least he brings capable assistants who can be promoted to HC. There is nobody on this staff, Partridge included, who I would trust to take over this program right now.

If not O’Brien, my second choice, not on the list, would be Moorhead. I don’t put much into his tenure at Miss St. Miss St is never going to compete for championships in the SEC and their fans have more unrealistic expectations than we do. He had success at Fordham(inherited a 1-11 program and went 38-14 thereafter including a Patriot League Championship) and was the best OC of all time at PSU. Currently OC at Oregon. Known as a tremendous recruiter he is also a Pittsburgh guy. Moorhead might be an easier get than O’Brien.

Maybe I am overly optimistic that they can get either, but for the first time I think we have an AD that is capable of selling the job. My glimmer of hope is that we can finally get someone who is capable of bringing the program to the top 20.

Reactions: Hilton Head Panther
I dislike the “next HC” game after every loss, but O’Brien or Moorhead would be great options. Also, if you listen to Heather Lyke’s pre-requisites for hiring a head coach she wants someone who has won championships either as a coach or player. Well, O’Brien would certainly qualify with his Super Bowl experience.

Reactions: chirurgo

I can across this article of top assistants in college. My pick is Bill O’Brien.

I want an offensive-minded coach with head coaching experience, someone who has run a program. Big question is can we get him? I say only if you pay him and $5 million/yr should do it. He is worth the money.

I see no drawbacks with hiring him. His pedigree is better than anyone Pitt has hired since Jackie Sherrill. An assistant under Belichick, he won at Penn St at the lowest point of there history, therefore knows the recruiting grounds well. He runs the offense of the best college football program in the history of college football.

Narduzzi finishes the season. They lock him up before Bama goes to the National Championship a d he starts after. Maybe he leaves for Bama when Saban retires or leaves for a better job, but at least he brings capable assistants who can be promoted to HC. There is nobody on this staff, Partridge included, who I would trust to take over this program right now.

If not O’Brien, my second choice, not on the list, would be Moorhead. I don’t put much into his tenure at Miss St. Miss St is never going to compete for championships in the SEC and their fans have more unrealistic expectations than we do. He had success at Fordham(inherited a 1-11 program and went 38-14 thereafter including a Patriot League Championship) and was the best OC of all time at PSU. Currently OC at Oregon. Known as a tremendous recruiter he is also a Pittsburgh guy. Moorhead might be an easier get than O’Brien.

Maybe I am overly optimistic that they can get either, but for the first time I think we have an AD that is capable of selling the job. My glimmer of hope is that we can finally get someone who is capable of bringing the program to the top 20.
I like both of these guys but Moorhead would be much more realistic to get.

The correct answer is Marcus Freeman. Young, intelligent, charismatic, aggressive, and a good recruiter. Most importantly he is a winner who is highly motivated.

Sorry to say but after nearly 40 years of chasing the "next" guy I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. We are not getting back to elite status that we enjoyed in the late 70s-early 80s. We will never attract the type of talent we see at places like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia or even tOSU and "shudder" Penn State. Yeah we can get a coach that can break this 6-7-8 win cycle. And I am guessing it's time to move on and try again. But after watching our "vaunted" defense get shredded with no answers I have come to realize that I just don't care much anymore. I have been with this program since the 60s and still am but I am too old to let losses ruin my night and the next day. So i will watch. I will cheer our scores and bitch about the other teams scores. But when it's over it's over and I will just move on. I never thought I would get to this but here I am.

I love Pitt, I really enjoy all of you on this board , as we have different opinions about Pitt football , but I am officially done with games etc until he is gone. I know who cares but it saves me good money and alot of a little free family time, but I do like to talk with you all , most are very good people that just want that one special season that isn't coming under this joker

Sorry to say but after nearly 40 years of chasing the "next" guy I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. We are not getting back to elite status that we enjoyed in the late 70s-early 80s. We will never attract the type of talent we see at places like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia or even tOSU and "shudder" Penn State. Yeah we can get a coach that can break this 6-7-8 win cycle. And I am guessing it's time to move on and try again. But after watching our "vaunted" defense get shredded with no answers I have come to realize that I just don't care much anymore. I have been with this program since the 60s and still am but I am too old to let losses ruin my night and the next day. So i will watch. I will cheer our scores and bitch about the other teams scores. But when it's over it's over and I will just move on. I never thought I would get to this but here I am.

My opinion, YOU are wrong , just wrong

The correct answer is Marcus Freeman. Young, intelligent, charismatic, aggressive, and a good recruiter. Most importantly he is a winner who is highly motivated.
I like the idea, but I don’t think he will come to Pitt. Furthermore, as I have previously posted, I don’t believe a defensive coordinator with no HC experience, can attract an OC to his staff that can be impactful. I could be wrong. Perhaps I am jaded by the last 7 years, but I don’t see good evidence for it. A DC doesn’t bring excitement to the program like a strong OC does. They have to put people in the seats at Heinz Field. That means winning and having a brand.

Moorehead not a slam dunk. His stint at Miss state was bad, some say a Yankee in the south will never work but Mullen was a Yankee and did just fine. I remember one pre game he was mad about something and had his team do live contact drills. Totally bizarre.

O'Brien I don't think would be able to recruit at an elite level here.

I don't follow the other divisions closely to know the up and comers, except the usual names. There is zero chance of a sitting P5 coach coming here, unless it is a retread like Helton or someone like that. I'm not opposed to a coordinator again but they must be vetted carefully. No big 10 assistants and preferably someone young with an offensive mind that shows leadership potential. Joe Brady maybe?

Asking for one top 25 finish since 2009 is not too big of an ask. No one is even asking for three straight 11 and 1. But one year win the Coastal with a 10 and 2 record and go to Charlotte ranked I don't think is out of the realm of possibility every 4 or 5 years

Moorehead not a slam dunk. His stint at Miss state was bad, some say a Yankee in the south will never work but Mullen was a Yankee and did just fine. I remember one pre game he was mad about something and had his team do live contact drills. Totally bizarre.

I don't follow the other divisions closely to know the up and comers, except the usual names. There is zero chance of a sitting P5 coach coming here, unless it is a retread like Helton or someone like that. I'm not opposed to a coordinator again but they must be vetted carefully. No big 10 assistants and preferably someone young with an offensive mind that shows leadership potential. Joe Brady maybe?
At Pitt, nobody is a slam dunk. I like the idea of Joe Brady. But he is an OC for a pro team now. Would he leave that and come to Pitt particularly being from the south? Maybe, but I think his first choice would be a southern P5 program. Does he have enough exposure to coaching that he can assemble a staff? Maybe he comes in, convinces Partridge/Archie Collins to stay(not sure if anyone else worth keeping)for some stability…lot of unknowns.

Yeah, ufortunately the days of competing with Alabama, Clemson, etc are gone. Like you, I was also fortunate enough to be around when Pitt was a legitimate NC contender for multiple years.
Those days aren’t coming back, but I also think we can do better. We can have a 10 win season every few years. We can still get top 20 recruiting classes every few years.

Not sure what he is wrong about based on your response. Anyone who has followed this program for 40 years, myself included, has the right to feel that way. It has been brutal being a Pitt fan. Slick’s response to your post is more than reasonable. We will never be Alabama, Georgia et al. But, we can certainly be a program that wins games they should win and contends for ACC championships. With that will come 10 win seasons. And we don’t need a stable of 5 star recruits to do that.

What about Coastal Carolina’s Jamey Chadwell. Apparently he is the OC as well as HC. Geez is Coastal Carolina can get it done we certainly can here.

I think all three would take it. Clawson is my top choice and has done well everywhere (just look up his record and there is improvement in wins every year at each stop) and really doesn't have a chance to win the Atlantic (same with Hafley). I think Hafley's wife being from Pittsburgh definitely helps. And I think Moorhead would take it for obvious reasons.

Dave Clawson is 133-124 in his head coaching tenure. He is under .500 at Wake. He is a good fit for Wake Forest but he can't recruit at a major program.

What about Coastal Carolina’s Jamey Chadwell. Apparently he is the OC as well as HC. Geez is Coastal Carolina can get it done we certainly can here.
I had that thought as well. Love his offense. I would think it would be tough for him to come North. Tennessee guy, with a lot of his coaching time in South Carolina. Would think he will be waiting for an SEC or Southern ACC job to open.

Dave Clawson is 133-124 in his head coaching tenure. He is under .500 at Wake. He is a good fit for Wake Forest but he can't recruit at a major program.
He is building a program there with no history and competing for recruits among the NC and SC schools. That’s a near impossible thing to overcome. I watched a bit of their game yesterday. I’m impressed with what he has done at Wake. He’s definitely somebody to watch.

Reactions: Panther_in_Kentucky
Funny you mention that school. I’ve been wondering for months where they came from.

But it would seem to me he’s another guy who can wait on a better opportunity. But you never know I guess. A lot of these guys are full of hubris and believe they could be successful anywhere. And then there’s coaches like Narduzzi who are are full of hubris for no apparent reason.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Hard pass on Moorehead.

He was given the number 1 defense in college football and a dynamic playmaker at QB, and couldn’t do anything with it.

Reactions: BFo8

I'm in the same place, wbr. As with you, I have also been with the program since the 60's. I was pissed for a little while yesterday thinking about that lousy game. But it's a new day and I really have better things to do than worry about Pitt football. If they win, great. If they lose, no big deal. I don't care.

Close… I’m very very close to this point

I’ve got no answers anymore and do t relish the thought of another 5 years of “purgatory to hell” range football….

not sure I can do it. But I’m also tired of the only consistent thing being bipolar swings

I had a gut feeling that a lot of people on Twitter overrated this team. We got blown out by ND, lost to BC and NCState by a point in the final minute… and lost a ton of defensive talent

then I said…”oh maybe these guys demanding 10 wins know more than you”….

Nope.. they don’t.

That’s more-or-less how I feel. I trust her to make the right decision.

Yep, I will agree and give her the chance to prove her worth , and I think she will do her homework , detailed, and listen to the right people, she is a spender as well. I know at Pitt you have to have restraints but she isn't a cheap looker for talent

My first three calls if I’m Heather Lyke
1. Louis Riddick- Make him say no to this very unique opportunity. Would be the ultimate Program CEO, would need to hire two good coordinators around him.
2. Tom Herman- Had massive success at Ohio State/Houston, decent track record at Texas, working with the Chicago Bears currently. Would be one of the best coaches in the conference from Day 1.
3. Marcus Freeman- For all the reasons listed above, he checks all the boxes of a future superstar coach, and has roots in this region.

Not sure what he is wrong about based on your response. Anyone who has followed this program for 40 years, myself included, has the right to feel that way. It has been brutal being a Pitt fan. Slick’s response to your post is more than reasonable. We will never be Alabama, Georgia et al. But, we can certainly be a program that wins games they should win and contends for ACC championships. With that will come 10 win seasons. And we don’t need a stable of 5 star recruits to do that.

You need a lot better talent that what Pitt has been able to recruit since the Gottfried years. Pitt has been a total non-factor in recruiting since the late 80s.

I'm in the same place, wbr. As with you, I have also been with the program since the 60's. I was pissed for a little while yesterday thinking about that lousy game. But it's a new day and I really have better things to do than worry about Pitt football. If they win, great. If they lose, no big deal. I don't care.
It’s not that I don’t care. I do. But I can’t let it destroy me every time this happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT