ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament with $1 million prize in Vegas next season

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
This is definitely, definitely not pay for play. The winning team will get $1 million donated to the school's collective which will then give it to the players. Definitely not pay for play. But, bye bye NIT I guess. You wonder if some mid-range seeds would even turn down an NCAA bid for this. I doubt it but say you are Clemson, would you consider trying to win this tournament instead?

This is definitely, definitely not pay for play. The winning team will get $1 million donated to the school's collective which will then give it to the players. Definitely not pay for play. But, bye bye NIT I guess. You wonder if some mid-range seeds would even turn down an NCAA bid for this. I doubt it but say you are Clemson, would you consider trying to win this tournament instead?
Ummm, no. Players won't get a choice.

And sharks with freak'n laser beams....just stop....

I’m pretty sure that’s the definition of “play for pay”.
All of NIL is pay for play. I don't see any college athletes out there advertising or in TV spots, maybe a few of the highest profile ones like Caleb Williams in Dr Pepper ads, but thousands get money, and they just get money, where is their name, image and likeness being used for that money? It's not.

This particular Vegas one will not replace the NIT. This is an in-season tournament, and I think the total prize money is $2 million plus (across all places/teams).

Unfortunately, this is also a "rich get richer" thing as the schools being mentioned to get invited are:
Alabama, Duke, FAU, Houston, Kansas, Oregon, San Diego State, St. Joe's, Syracuse, Virginia

Honestly, not sure how St Joe's snuck in there, must be a connection somewhere, but I wouldn't be waiting for the Pitt invite.

This particular Vegas one will not replace the NIT. This is an in-season tournament, and I think the total prize money is $2 million plus (across all places/teams).

Unfortunately, this is also a "rich get richer" thing as the schools being mentioned to get invited are:
Alabama, Duke, FAU, Houston, Kansas, Oregon, San Diego State, St. Joe's, Syracuse, Virginia

Honestly, not sure how St Joe's snuck in there, must be a connection somewhere, but I wouldn't be waiting for the Pitt invite.

If this is an in-season tournament then I hope that the NCAA bans it. It is as pay for play as it gets and would be a massive recruiting advantage for the schools in it.

Probably because if Duke plays then Syracuse and Virginia cannot. And if Houston plays then Kansas cannot. Only one team from a conference is allowed to play in any in season tournament.

So an eight team event would have to have schools from eight different conferences.

Probably because if Duke plays then Syracuse and Virginia cannot. And if Houston plays then Kansas cannot. Only one team from a conference is allowed to play in any in season tournament.

So an eight team event would have to have schools from eight different conferences.
Good point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT