ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts about the YSU game

JAM05Pitt

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2015
Whew. We dogged a bullet Saturday.
  1. I realize that we experienced first game frustrations last year against Villanova and things were dramatically different the next week against PSU and moving forward but we can still look at YSU independently and be frustrated/concerned.
  2. I'm sure that the offensive gameplan was "vanilla" but with the game on the line it didn't look like it opened up much at all. I get keeping it vanilla up 3 scores but I thought that we would have expanded a little trying to win the game.
  3. Max Browne - eh. I am a firm believer that players need reps. He's had some but not a lot. He made some questionable decisions (i.e. he had a few chances to run, missed a wide open TE crossing on 3rd and short) but also didn't turn it over. Again, he wasn't asked to do much so it's hard to tell. I certainly didn't see a cannon arm or anything like that...yet. I get the feeling he'll need vertical passing to be successful.
  4. Running Backs - eh. Ollison and Hall aren't bad but they aren't much about average IMO. My opinion isn't based on YSU really, moreso what I've seen from them throughout their careers. Again, not bad running backs. Just not elite. Davis was called on during some interesting situations. 3rd/4th and short and goal line. I would have liked to see him get a series or two. I think Moss can help a lot too so I hope we get him back ASAP.
  5. DL - I watched a lot of replays and focused on the DL. They didn't have a very good game. Not much pass rush, especially in the 2nd half. Again, the DL is young and hasn't had a lot of reps. Plus, I think mixing up some blitzes and stunts more moving forward, which I am sure they will do, will help a lot. Hendrix got some pressure in the 1st half. Camp was active.
  6. LBs - Yikes.
  7. Secondary - I actually thought the corners looked good. Tight coverage and looked for the ball a little better. Safeties struggled a bit but, again going back to not having a lot of game reps, let's hope week 1 to week 2 is a big jump.
  8. OL - It's tough on the OL with very limited play-calling. However, they were all sluggish at times. O'Neil was not dominant at all. He switched to LT and was very limited during camp so he needs reps. JJS struggled a lot. Another guy who hasn't played much recently.
  9. I think we have more speed on D (not enough yet) but they can't play fast if they are confused. Needs fixed ASAP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News