ADVERTISEMENT

Reaction to Haden PI call

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
Pretty unanimous

PI is becoming as much of a joke as offensive holding. It’s so incinsistent. One game the refs allow blatant holding and lots of hand checking the next they call the slightest touch. It makes NFL officiating look as bad as the garage league

They may need to have a rule that allows a coach to contest one call a game.

https://triblive.com/sports/steeler...called-for-pass-interference-vs-saints-was-it

Reactions: vietvet1
No reviews. It’s still a judgement call even during reviews.

They need to allow contact downfield. Unless it’s blatant pulling/turning a body, holding arms from the ball etc, it’s 2 guys going for the ball.

They need to allow contact downfield. Unless it’s blatant pulling/turning a body, holding arms from the ball etc, it’s 2 guys going for the ball.

They need reviews to reverse the obvious calls or missed calls.

Either the Colts or Patriots bitched that the other team was bumping receivers off their routes too often and that lead to the advent of defensive holding. Who knows maybe if enough people complain something will get corrected.

I think the league should start fining officiating teams.

This is the second blatant call of the season that turned into 6 points for Steeler’s opponents. Anyone remember the offsides that was missed against San Diego? League-wide officiating calls are ruining games.

Reactions: vietvet1 and pbrad
LMAO I thought this was about the call on the final drive? Who cares about that first quarter call. Pittsburgh recovered from that and had a lead in the 4th quarter. And plus Haden did shove that guy in the back before he jumped.

The call on 4th down on the final drive was far more important.

Reactions: Usuallyunusual
Haden got screwed twice. The bad PI that lead to their first TD, and the pass was tipped on the penalty they called on him at the end of the game.

Haden got screwed twice. The bad PI that lead to their first TD, and the pass was tipped on the penalty they called on him at the end of the game.

Tomllin should have been on the field demanding the refs review the play for a tip. Of course he was probably in his own little world at that time.

Reactions: LVNVPanther
Tomllin should have been on the field demanding the refs review the play for a tip. Of course he was probably in his own little world at that time.
The replay official in the Steeler game said he reviewed it, but did not see the tip. Another blown call.

When they showed the replay I thought the ball wobbled. They didn’t show it much. But you can see it did here. The spiral isn’t quite as tight.

It is way too punitive of a penalty for such a judgement call. Way too much. I have always advocated a like a Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2 PI calls, where one is like 5 yards and a 1st down like Defensive Holding the other is a spot call.

That being said, I think also the refs need to be retrained, because they automatically throw flags assuming PI happens, and in some cases, it is 40-50+ yard penalties. If you are going to give a team that kind of break, you better god damn be sure the call is legit.

It seems like there’s no definitive way to “fix” pass interference. As others above have said, it’ll always be a judgement call. Perhaps if they make it reviewable and change it to a line of scrimmage penalty, it’ll nerf some of its impact.

They need to overhaul the officiating in general. It feels like this year in particular has seen a nosedive in the accuracy. Maybe it’s the build up of the holding/pass interference/unnecessary roughness that’s taken over the game recently.
full time officials. officials not calling live games are 'on the clock' and polled. simple. took 5 seconds of thought.

This is a good idea. However, upon looking into it, it seems like they’ve actually begun phasing this in, at least for some officials, back in 2017. Might need to change that “some” to “all.”
I'm looking for the NFL to hire 99 additional officials or to have 99 total on call. They can afford it, this is enough.

Agree and even without the tip I don't think that was pass interference on the 2nd PI play. There might have been slight contact prior to the ball but it was two guying battling for a quick slant pass. I don't think it was pass interference.

The first PI call should have resulted in that Ref or Back Judge being fired on the spot. That was the worst call I have ever seen in an NFL game and that is saying something. Just a flat out awful call. Beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:
Agree and even without the tip I don't think that was pass interference on the 2nd PI play. There might have been slight contact prior to the ball but it was two guying battling for a quick slant pass. I don't think it was pass interference.

The first PI call should have resulted in that Ref or Back Judge being fired on the spot. That was the worst call I have ever seen in an NFL game and that is saying something. Just a flat out awful call. Beyond ridiculous.

On the second one he jammed the receiver at the LOS which is legal. Once out of his break there was little contact. Another bad call

On the second one he jammed the receiver at the LOS which is legal. Once out of his break there was little contact. Another bad call

Yep, even if Tuitt didn't tip it I still think it was a bad call. Especially in that situation where it is 4th and 5 and both guys are going for the ball. Terrible call the more I think about it.

They were bad calls, but what about the stupid play calling. 4th and 5 with the lead and you fake it up the middle, 3rd and 2 with the passing offense humming and you run it up the middle with a back who hardly ever carries the ball because he is noted for fumbling.

Pretty unanimous

PI is becoming as much of a joke as offensive holding. It’s so incinsistent. One game the refs allow blatant holding and lots of hand checking the next they call the slightest touch. It makes NFL officiating look as bad as the garage league

They may need to have a rule that allows a coach to contest one call a game.

https://triblive.com/sports/steeler...called-for-pass-interference-vs-saints-was-it
Why not allow coaches to challenge any play they want. You still get 3 challenges total, no restrictions.

They were bad calls, but what about the stupid play calling. 4th and 5 with the lead and you fake it up the middle, 3rd and 2 with the passing offense humming and you run it up the middle with a back who hardly ever carries the ball because he is noted for fumbling.

Agree... I have touched on those specific plays in other threads. I hated both calls. I actually hated the 3rd and 2 call worse than the fake punt. Even if you want to run the ball there that is totally fine. But run it out of a spread formation like they were having success doing. Instead they go to a power running package against a 40 men in the box. I said to my son as soon as they lined up that they were running up the middle into a brick wall and the play had zero chance. Obviously was not expecting a fumble but the play call sucked.

Reactions: Gregory25 and pbrad
It’s not a reviewable play. You don’t know the rules and you call someone stupid ?

It’s not a reviewable play. You don’t know the rules and you call someone stupid ?
you most certainly can challenge whether a ball was tipped... now, what was that you were saying about being stupid and not knowing the rules?

Again, I said this a few times yesterday. Pass Interference is really one of the most subjective, judgmental calls in football. There are obvious ones for sure. There are a lot more 50/50 calls than flagrant takedowns.

To just recklessly throw a flag and give a team 30, 40, 50 yards of gain and essentially a sure TD just based on a guess is way, way, way too punitive. It used to refs were much more judicious in throwing flags like this. Now in this quest of "erring on the side of safety" these refs feel compelled to throw flags.

This is another rule that needs to be changed. Either have it as a challengeable call........I am saying if you are giving someone 40 yards or so...then you better damn well be sure of the call. Or at least have a Flagrant 1 or 2 PI where a 1 is a 5-10 yard penalty and 2 is the spot foul.

And then the tipped ball, which it was clearly tipped. It changed direction, you can see the rotation change, what did the ball hit a bird on the way to the receiver? While again this was another assumption as a penalty by the ref, the fact it was tipped should have made the penalty moot.

The officiating is getting worse and worse. Either do away with replay altogether or apply it better. Of course with Mike Tomlin, does it really matter, he can eff up a challenge regardless.

The call is just so I consistently applied.

Baldwin from Seattle literallly pushed the DB to get separation and caught the pass for a TD. No call.

Poor Haden. When you play for the Browns no one cares. You play for the Steelers and what you didn't get called for before you get called for now. Both were very iffy ticky tack calls that will probably keep the Steelers home for the holidays.

If that clip was the only possible angle, no way that challenge would have been overturned. It didn't look tipped. The pass was slightly wobbly but that could have been directly from the hand. Direction didn't get altered in the slightest before it passed Tuitts arm and after. If it was tipped, there definitely wasn't conclusive evidence from that angle, and they wouldn't have changed the call.

Reactions: galladt
There’s absolutely no consistency.

Based on the first pass interference, every Hail Mary in the history of the game should be called PI.

Besides reviews...there should be two varieties of PI, much like roughing the kicker. A blatant PI could be in the nature of the current rules. The first PI on Haden should be a 10-15 yarder where it’s not ultimately determining the worst possible outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT