ADVERTISEMENT

Recap Musings from the week

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Back from Croatia, and nothing says I'm back to NY when a thirty mile trip from Newark to home takes 2 1/2 hours on a sunday early evening. But have some quick recap thoughts:

1. I would highly recommend Croatia to anyone looking at vacation spots. Really just a beautiful country, with a great vibe and great food. Loved my 10 days there.

2. So I might need to declare bankruptcy because I had to watch both games (YSU, WVU) from the wireless network because the WIFI blocked it. My data usage with VZ is probably in the millions.

3. My gawd, it's amazing how much pleasure I get being 4-0. How great is it having games to play for in Oct?

4. You know the WVU game was epic but if they had lost that game we would have been complaining about the disastrous trick plays we tried and the going for it on 4th down late in the first half gifting WVU 3 points with THAT play. And of course the blatant OPI on the WVU TD to put them up by 10.

5. While we can all revel in the 4-0 record and catch our breath we do have two major issues with our lines. Number 1 the OL has been meh. Tackles have not been great at all especially in pass blocking thus requiring some heroics from Eli. He's been under duress way too much in the pocket. Really disappointed in number 70's play. And the DL needs to create more pass rush. In fact, our pass rush has not been great at all and against YSU even when we blitzed we couldn't get home.

6. Boy, Holstein has that clutch gene or what? Just makes plays and is not scared of the moment. What's really underrated about him is what a great deep thrower he is. Knows how to put air on throws when needed. That's some veteran shit right there. And the throw to Reynolds was just filthy almost like Reynolds had no choice but to catch it.

7. Ok I mentioned the Lines but we have some really good pieces too. Number 1 we have a great FG kicker which is really key, number 2 our skill people, while maybe not elite by some people's standards, are pretty damn special and number 3 our LB's have elite athleticism. Kyle Louis might be the best cover LB we've had in 20 years. I think the DB's are still a work in progress. Still way too many blown assignments.

8. Is it my 63 year old old school mentality or am I the only guy who thinks it's a bad look to have us chucking the ball all over the place when up by over 40 pts? Maybe it's just me.

9. I realize it's YSU but boy the weight loss for Carter is really noticeable with his speed. BTW, he is by far the best pass protector of the RB's. I prefer him having the ball than Davis. Much more decisive with his running.

10. I realize this might be sacrilegious but I'm glad WVU and Cincy won. Need them to have good seasons for our SOS.

11. James Madison was a big time FCS school under Cignetti but come on 53 points in UNC? Wow. I don't want to get too confident but geez. I am fully aware that that stadium has been a house of horrors for us.

12. I get that ND is a major draw but they lose to NI at home (Who just also lost to Buffalo) and yet they are still ranked. Give me a break. They pummel a really bad Purdue team and Miami of OH and voila they are back in the playoff picture. Makes me ill.

13. i know we all love Gavin (who I think we tend to overrate a little) and we all the remember the spectacular play in the Tenn game a few years back but number 87 is a guy to watch. He really is a good in line blocker. I mean really good.

14. Kinda ironic that we fire Lyke (no opinion either way because I'm not tied in the AD's office) but football team is 4-0 the volleyball team is number 1 in the country and still hasn't lost a set and I think the basketball team is going to be really good too.

Good to be back home, Hail to Pitt.

Pitt 82

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.