ADVERTISEMENT

Recommended Sunday Activities For Penguins

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Mike Sullivan: Work on your resume.

Jim Rutherford: Read some retirement brochures.

Jack Johnson: Work on disguises to wear while walking around Pittsburgh.

Evgeny Malkin: Pack. You won’t be here long.

Matt Murray: Start trying to sell the old “Hey 2 good years should get me into the Hall of Fame” shtick.

Rest of the team: Work on your golf swings. You can play every day very soon.

Matt Murray: Start trying to sell the old “Hey 2 good years should get me into the Hall of Fame” shtick.

Really can’t blame Johnson in this game.
He logged 31 minutes for crying out loud

And 3 of the 4 goals should have been routine saves

There are no routine saves anymore for Murray. His 15 minutes of fame expired two years ago. And Johnson is one of the worst defensemen I have watched play since my dad showed films of me playing...when I was 10.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
(Im)moral to the story... when a team of ... have to watch my rigorous prose here ... naughty fellows goons it up and purposely injures your two best D, don't turn the other cheek. Strike back with the quadriplegic-inducing violence.

Johnson is what he is. I'm a bit disappointed. I've loved his game for years. He's no longer a guy that can log lots of minutes. The Pens have been awful at developing D for 10 years.

Sadly, we don't have enough material to trade our way to a better roster. We're not talking about a couple missing peices.

Yeah hard to fault Jack Johnson on this one. And any type of "response" I mean if you deem it cheap, then you send Garrett Wilson out there and cross check Giroux or Coutrier in the face and put them out. If they die or lose an eye, then they die or lose an eye.

Reactions: Blue Goose
(Im)moral to the story... when a team of ... have to watch my rigorous prose here ... naughty fellows goons it up and purposely injures your two best D, don't turn the other cheek. Strike back with the quadriplegic-inducing violence.

Is there anything more pitthetic than a whiny Penguin fan?

couple questions for yinz...

Shouldn’t Kessel be at the top of the list? What has he done positive for this team this year? Looks like he hit his expiration date.

And blame Jack Johnson? Isn’t he a 3rd pair defenseman? He is what he is and he’s fine at it. It’s not his fault he was signed to the deal that he was. (Damn I feel like I was just talking about Kevin Stallings).

I didn’t see much wrong with the hit on dumoulin. As Torts would say, looked like a hockey play. Where am I wrong.

Did Letang and Dumo come back after the incident? I fell asleep as I usually do watching hockey these days. Sounds like no based on Soufs post about Johnson.

Big changes are coming...
1srypp.jpg

couple questions for yinz...

Shouldn’t Kessel be at the top of the list? What has he done positive for this team this year? Looks like he hit his expiration date.

And blame Jack Johnson? Isn’t he a 3rd pair defenseman? He is what he is and he’s fine at it. It’s not his fault he was signed to the deal that he was. (Damn I feel like I was just talking about Kevin Stallings).

I didn’t see much wrong with the hit on dumoulin. As Torts would say, looked like a hockey play. Where am I wrong.

Did Letang and Dumo come back after the incident? I fell asleep as I usually do watching hockey these days. Sounds like no based on Soufs post about Johnson.
Dumolin concussion.
LeTang Upper body injury. Looked like he slammed his elbow on the ice when he jumped the Flyer after the hit.

Big hit by Simmonds. Not clear head hunting, shoulder check, albeit a big one. However, if it was a clean hit, why the unsportsmanlike penalty? He did appear to launch himself a bit.

The last thing the Pens needed last night was losing 2 top D men and having Murray let in any bad goals, let alone 3! They had this game in the palm of their hands and gave it away.

Weird face off decision at the end. Crosby just won 2 clean draws, yet they let someone else take another crucial one at the end. Looked like the refs waved the guy out and Crosby was set to take his place, but they reversed their decision. Flyers won face off and hit the tying goal with seconds remaining on a very poor play by Murray on a bad angle shot.

Pens had great scoring chances in the OT, several of them actually, but the Philly goalie stood tall and stoned them on all chances. Then Murray gives up another softy and Flyers win!

Time to think about fishing season. Pens probably won't make Playoffs, and if they do sneak in, they won't last long with this lineup.

Really silly thread. Pens have won cups 2 of the past 3 years and you want to run Sullivan out of town? The best coach since scotty bowman? Run Malkin out? One of the top 5 best Penguins ever?
It is a bit silly, but coaches often do have expiration dates. Might be a bit too early to push Sully out the door but sometimes change is good. Look at the instant success the Steelers had with Tomlin and the Pens had with Bylesma (and Sully).

Dumolin concussion.
LeTang Upper body injury. Looked like he slammed his elbow on the ice when he jumped the Flyer after the hit.

Big hit by Simmonds. Not clear head hunting, shoulder check, albeit a big one. However, if it was a clean hit, why the unsportsmanlike penalty? He did appear to launch himself a bit.

The last thing the Pens needed last night was losing 2 top D men and having Murray let in any bad goals, let alone 3! They had this game in the palm of their hands and gave it away.

Weird face off decision at the end. Crosby just won 2 clean draws, yet they let someone else take another crucial one at the end. Looked like the refs waved the guy out and Crosby was set to take his place, but they reversed their decision. Flyers won face off and hit the tying goal with seconds remaining on a very poor play by Murray on a bad angle shot.

Pens had great scoring chances in the OT, several of them actually, but the Philly goalie stood tall and stoned them on all chances. Then Murray gives up another softy and Flyers win!

Time to think about fishing season. Pens probably won't make Playoffs, and if they do sneak in, they won't last long with this lineup.
Thanks Freeport. Great summary. The Simmonds hit makes me think about our other non sports discussions where people can see the same exact things, yet come up with a different answer. In this case, I see on twitter that people are saying Simmonds left his feet. I didn’t see that at all. The rest of it though, I see the point. It is a tough call though. Reffing is hard. It reminds me of the play at the end of a HS hoops game yesterday that got quite a bit of activity all over twitter. I’m going to post it on the hoops pay board to get everyone’s opinion.

And my opinion on sneaking into the playoffs is just like sneaking into the NCAA tourney...if you sneak in, but look terrible doing it, showing that you have no chance, its not really an accomplishment. If you have a winning season in football but miss the playoffs or underachieve miserably in the playoffs, it’s really not an accomplishment. It doesn’t look like the Pens will ever hit their stride this year. And Without their top pairing, it’s even worse.

Thanks Freeport. Great summary. The Simmonds hit makes me think about our other non sports discussions where people can see the same exact things, yet come up with a different answer. In this case, I see on twitter that people are saying Simmonds left his feet. I didn’t see that at all. The rest of it though, I see the point. It is a tough call though. Reffing is hard. It reminds me of the play at the end of a HS hoops game yesterday that got quite a bit of activity all over twitter. I’m going to post it on the hoops pay board to get everyone’s opinion.

And my opinion on sneaking into the playoffs is just like sneaking into the NCAA tourney...if you sneak in, but look terrible doing it, showing that you have no chance, its not really an accomplishment. If you have a winning season in football but miss the playoffs or underachieve miserably in the playoffs, it’s really not an accomplishment. It doesn’t look like the Pens will ever hit their stride this year. And Without their top pairing, it’s even worse.
One foot came off the ice, the other didn't. Not sure what the call is for that??

Simmonds is one of those guys who you hate if your playing against him, but love if he's yours.

Pens must not have had an issue with the hit because they did not retaliate against one of the Flyers stars, and they dressed the guy who could do it.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Dumolin concussion.

Crosby is better on the left side for face offs and not as strong on the right, which is why they changed. Didn't work obviously.

One foot came off the ice, the other didn't. Not sure what the call is for that??

Simmonds is one of those guys who you hate if your playing against him, but love if he's yours.

Pens must not have had an issue with the hit because they did not retaliate against one of the Flyers stars, and they dressed the guy who could do it.
It looked to me on the replay that both feet left the ice.

Do you watch hockey to make some of your points?

All Sullivan has done with this team is win 2 cups. Now I know 2 cups in 3 years isn't 3 cups in 3 years, but I will let him slide.

Malkin? Really? Ah hate to disappoint you but he will be retiring a Penguin. I guess you don't read the statements that he is one of the untouchables.

Rutherford? Well I will tell you one thing. I was not a fan of his when hired and really I'm not a fan now, but he has won 2 cups as GM of the Pens and recently agreed to an extension. For some reason I don't think he will be leaving anytime soon.

I can't argue about Murray and Johnson.

Your last comment about golfing? They are 1 point out of a playoff spot. 3 games coming up with Columbus. Ah don't get the clubs out just yet

But weren't the refs going to throw the other guy out for putting his stick down too soon?
Then they reversed themselves. Didn't get that one.
It always amazes how precise the refs are on icing, offsides and faceoffs, yet let head shots, and holding/interference go mostly unchecked.

Reactions: pbrad
Do you watch hockey to make some of your points?

All Sullivan has done with this team is win 2 cups. Now I know 2 cups in 3 years isn't 3 cups in 3 years, but I will let him slide.

Malkin? Really? Ah hate to disappoint you but he will be retiring a Penguin. I guess you don't read the statements that he is one of the untouchables.

Rutherford? Well I will tell you one thing. I was not a fan of his when hired and really I'm not a fan now, but he has won 2 cups as GM of the Pens and recently agreed to an extension. For some reason I don't think he will be leaving anytime soon.

I can't argue about Murray and Johnson.

Your last comment about golfing? They are 1 point out of a playoff spot. 3 games coming up with Columbus. Ah don't get the clubs out just yet
Can you make a good Greek omelet?

Gino is not a problem...5 goals in the past 5 games. Kessel needs to awake the eff up and start scoring

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Well it comes down to you can't fire or trade the whole team. I mean Joel Quenneville got fired.
Yes Quenneville did get fired but it was after 2 1st round exits and them missing the playoffs last year.

Sullivan on the other hand won the 2 cups and the Pens-Capital series was a tossup. You have to admit that had Letang and Murray played up to their ability last year they could have at least made it to the conference finals

Crosby is better on the left side for face offs and not as strong on the right, which is why they changed. Didn't work obviously.
Actually, Bjugstad seemed to do what he was supposed to — get the put back or to the boards. Unfortunately, the winger for the Flyers won the race and just threw a Hail Mary on net that went in. I have a hard time faulting Bjugstad on that one. The head scratcher was why Ruhwedel iced the puck with 20 seconds left. Seemed like he had time to do one of those high flips into the neutral zone. Frustrating loss. I still think the Hurricanes and Canadiens will select themselves out. Columbus made some big moves. It will be interesting to see if they trade Panarin or Bobrovsky, but if they don’t that lineup just got real scary.

Yes.
Actually, Bjugstad seemed to do what he was supposed to — get the put back or to the boards. Unfortunately, the winger for the Flyers won the race and just threw a Hail Mary on net that went in. I have a hard time faulting Bjugstad on that one. The head scratcher was why Ruhwedel iced the puck with 20 seconds left. Seemed like he had time to do one of those high flips into the neutral zone. Frustrating loss. I still think the Hurricanes and Canadiens will select themselves out. Columbus made some big moves. It will be interesting to see if they trade Panarin or Bobrovsky, but if they don’t that lineup just got real scary.
Yes. Texted a friend watching at the time that the Ruhedwel icing was too panicky and going to hurt them. Yes, he likely shouldn't be on the ice in that situation due to the D injuries ... so the flyers were rewarded by their dirty play (as typical in that league). But he's no rookie, and he was not being pressured, just dribble it up the boards softly and kill at least 10 more secs. To be fair I didn't think the payback would be via a terrible goal after the Pens actually won the faceoff. But I guess I've had difficulty coming to terms that Murray just isn't The Guy, any more.

I suppose the hope is he magically will turn it on in the post- season. IF they get there. In another league, of another Winter sport, no worries of that ... you figure there would be powwows in the head office to figure out officiating 'strategies' in coming games to make sure the team with 3 of the leagues top stars and top TV ratings would get in to the playoffs; but we all know the popularity of the Pens with the Toronto gang.

Reactions: CCHS82
Perhaps the Penguins need to put more money in the envelope they hand the refs before the games

Yes.

Yes. Texted a friend watching at the time that the Ruhedwel icing was too panicky and going to hurt them. Yes, he likely shouldn't be on the ice in that situation due to the D injuries ... so the flyers were rewarded by their dirty play (as typical in that league). But he's no rookie, and he was not being pressured, just dribble it up the boards softly and kill at least 10 more secs. To be fair I didn't think the payback would be via a terrible goal after the Pens actually won the faceoff. But I guess I've had difficulty coming to terms that Murray just isn't The Guy, any more.

I suppose the hope is he magically will turn it on in the post- season. IF they get there. In another league, of another Winter sport, no worries of that ... you figure there would be powwows in the head office to figure out officiating 'strategies' in coming games to make sure the team with 3 of the leagues top stars and top TV ratings would get in to the playoffs; but we all know the popularity of the Pens with the Toronto gang.
There’s a growing chance that the league’s most marketable player (Crosby), the league’s best player (McDavid), and it’s best American-born Star (Kane) could all miss the playoffs. For us hockey fans, we all know a playoffs resulting in a Tampa/Winnipeg final would be amazing, but the people who like to bash the league’s ratings will have a field day.

It's really ironic, Sullivan won 2 or the last 3 Cups and Pittsburgh fans want him fired, Mike Tomlin Totally Sucks! But most people get pissed if you suggest DOING THE RIGHT THING and firing him.

There’s a growing chance that the league’s most marketable player (Crosby), the league’s best player (McDavid), and it’s best American-born Star (Kane) could all miss the playoffs. For us hockey fans, we all know a playoffs resulting in a Tampa/Winnipeg final would be amazing, but the people who like to bash the league’s ratings will have a field day.
It would be refreshing in a way, possibly even an argument that the league has "cough" integrity. I'm certainly not saying the Penguins deserve any help either, they have underachieved on their own, particularly in goal and on defense. But it's undeniable that there would be a panic (and active rectification strategies devised) in the NBA offices if faced with a similar dilemma...or certainly in ESPNs.

Looked like Johnson screened Murray on the third goal. In the post-game on WPXI, Murray said that he never saw the puck. He later put the blame on himself.

Replay looked like he saw it at last second when it came out from between Johnson's feet.

Last edited:
After seeing this, I no longer worry about Murray...
The crazy thing is that if you stack up all of elite goalies Carey Price and Sergei Bobrovsky’s playoff accomplishments they can’t even come close to touching what Murray has done in the post-season. That’s what makes his mediocre (at best) play over the last two years so confounding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT