ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Notebook + Prospect Report: Asamoah, YSU visitors, and more

RyanDonnelly

Heisman Candidate
Staff
Apr 13, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Hey all, with the holiday weekend going on and the upcoming Penn State game, things have been a bit delayed in getting around to some of my notes from the weekend, but I wanted to gather all of my thoughts in one place. Let's start with Friday night and work our way forward from there:

Prospect Notes

On Friday night, I saw Brian Asamoah and the St. Francis DeSales Stallions improve to 2-0 with a rout of Lancaster, right here in Columbus. The Stallions built up a 34-0 lead well into the third quarter before the freshmen/back-ups got lax in the 4th and gave up a couple touchdowns in garbage time. Asamoah posted a pair of rushing touchdowns, a sack, and a pair of TFLs during the performance, handling most of the duties at running back in the first half and taking care of strongside linebacker/edge rusher on the defensive side of the ball. Brian was a little frustrated throughout the game it seemed, as Lancaster simply wouldn't run to his side of the field. He was getting in there and chasing down a few plays to the opposite side when the scheme allowed for, but he was mostly responsible for setting the edge and making sure the defense didn't lose contain. It was nice to see him stay so disciplined. We know he has the athleticism and the big-play potential, but that kind of mental discipline to stay within the scheme and not overpursue all night was critical.

The Stallions have quite a few other players you guys should be familiar with as well. If you haven't seen my story with four-star 2019 OL/DL Rodas Johnson on the front page, check that out at the link. Johnson didn't play, as he's being hold out for five games by the OHSAA for transferring to DeSales this year. Still, it was good to talk with him and it's clear that Pitt is heavily involved. He's got such a baby-face and when you talk to him, he just seems young for his graduating class. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he continues growing and filling out well beyond his current 6-foot-4 and 260 pound frame.

Ty Van Fossen
and Brandon Derrow are a pair of seniors at DeSales who had contact with Pitt in the past but ultimately never had a spot in the class. Van Fossen is a Cincinnati commit at LB and safety, Derrow is a Colorado State commit at defensive end. I think they're both nice players who have a chance to contribute, but I don't think Pitt is missing out in a major way by not taking either.

A really, really intriguing player to me was 2019 DB/ATH Joey Velazquez. Velazquez had an interception and a couple TDs on Friday, taking over Asamoah at running back to spell him and then on his own for the whole second half. He looked to be around 6-foot and 190 pounds, but he's explosive for his size and thickly built. I think he's probably a safety if he plays football at the next level, but that's a big if. Velazquez is an Ohio State baseball commit (although I'm told that commitment is shaky), but he could definitely have a future in football if he wants it.

YSU Gameday Visitors

With a relatively low-key opening game against an FCS opponent, Pitt didn't have the big visitor list we've seen for home openers in the past. That doesn't they were without important visitors though. Several commits and a few other very notable prospects made the trip to Heinz Field to take in the game.

Blake Zubovic, Devin Danielson, and Noah Palmer made their way up to the North Shore from the banks of the Monongahela River as the core group of commits in attendance. You can expect to see those faces pretty frequently in the stands and sidelines of these games.

Another prominent local prospect, 2019 linebacker Kyi Wright of Farrell (Pa.), traveled in for the game with several teammates (Kobe Hilton, Isaac Clarke, and Jourdon Townsend). I don't ultimately view any of those teammates as legitimate targets for Pitt, but Wright is very much in play for the Panthers at a number of positions. I still think linebacker is the most likely if you put a gun to my head, but tight end and defensive end are in play as well right now. I plan to have an update with Wright tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that. He's held an offer now for a while and keeps coming back to campus frequently.

From the state of Ohio, Pitt brought in 2018 wide receiver Kory Taylor, a player with several P5 offers (Louisville, UK, Minn, WVU, BC, etc.) and intriguing size at 6-foot-5. I have an at length discussion with Taylor on the front page, where he discusses the possibility of a Pitt offer and what that could mean for his recruitment. Check that out at this link.

Interestingly, Pitt brought in a couple 2018 offensive linemen in Mt. Lebanon (Pa.)'s Colby Sorsdal and Williamsport (Pa.)'s Kurt Danneker. Both guys have been around campus several times now and both have Division I offers (Danneker is committed to Ohio University), but neither has been offered by Pitt.

Danneker was pretty frank about where things stand. He's committed now and this will be his last trip to Pitt unless the Panthers offer. He'd love to have that offer and it would definitely impact his recruitment, but he's not going to jeopardize his spot at a school he'd be very happy to attend if Pitt isn't serious about recruiting him. Sorsdal is a bit more interesting. He hasn't responded to interview requests yet, but he could be more willing to wait for a potential Pitt offer. G5 schools like UCF, Kent State, Bowling Green, UConn, and others have offered, but no P5 has extended a scholarship yet.

Ultimately, I would be very surprised if Pitt chooses to offer either of these in-state options, but it's more intriguing in demonstrating that the door may not be closed to taking an additional offensive lineman. It seemed like it was TJ Bradley or bust for that last OL spot, but Pitt could continue to look around the region and country and see if they find the right fit for a prospect along the OL in 2018. Just something to keep in the back of your head as the class moves forward.

A few other 2018 guys visited who I don't think will be real targets at all, but here are their names just for completion's sake: Darrian Berkins of Johnstown (Pa.), 2018 WR; Jeremiah Carter of Newark (De.), 2018 OT; Keishawn Jones of Newark (De.), 2018 WR; and Jeremiah Jackson of Columbus (Ohio), 2018 WR.

The 2019 group was a bit more intriguing and there could ultimately be a number of guys in there to watch. A sizable New Jersey contingent was the most interesting part of that visitor list (excepting Wright), as a few local prospects in Parrish Parker, Jayvon Thrift, and Brian Dallas (more on him below) couldn't make it to Heinz. From Barnegat (N.J.), Pitt invited a 2019 TE named Sean Morris and his teammate, a 2019 ILB named Brian Ewan. Morris is the more notable prospect of the two to me, but I'll be speaking with their high school head coach shortly.

Also a 2019 New Jersey prospect, defensive end Will Smart of the Delbarton School is a prospect I would say bears a close watch moving forward. He's been in contact with Pitt, Boston College, Rutgers, and Temple to date and although this was his first visit to Pitt, he says he's been speaking with the coaches for about six months. Smart has a great frame at 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds and could ultimately grow into a defensive tackle. We had a good interview earlier that I'll be publishing tomorrow, but the long and short of it is that Smart loved the visit and would love to have that offer in his back pocket. Pitt has been communicating with him often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News