ADVERTISEMENT

Eric_Knopsnyder

Scholarship
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2022
Stoystown, PA
MatScouts' 2023 recruiting class rankings are out and you can find them here: https://rokfin.com/article/13205/Cowboy-Up-2023-Recruiting-Class-Rankings.
It's behind a paywall, so I don't want to reveal too much of the content, but here's what pertains to Pitt:

ACC Rankings
#7 Virginia Tech
#17 NC State
#19 Pitt
Honorable mention: Virginia

Pitt's 2023 class includes four top 200 recruits:
#18-Anthony Santaniello, NJ (133) - State Champ
#105-Grant Mackay, PA (174) - State Champ
#140-Dylan Evans, PA (165) - State Champ
#183-Tyler Chappell, PA (125) - NHSCA Runner Up

Willie's evaluation: Santaniello destroyed his way through the state tournament this year and the Panthers get three more of PA's best of 2023. They're gradually building talent and depth in the 'burgh.

Obviously, Santaniello's flip from Oklahoma was enormous for this class. That and three PA state champs is good news. The bad news, as it always seems to be, is that Va Tech and NC State are still ahead of them in the rankings. Coach Gavin and the Pitt staff have done a good job developing guys, but it's tough when your competition is getting higher-ranked recruits. What I find most frustrating is that teams like Oregon State and Wyoming are ahead of Pitt in the rankings. It's only one year, so those programs could have more money to give at this point, but it still seems like Pitt should be bringing in better talent than those schools.

Pitt did come in ahead of four other Pa. schools in the top 25: Lehigh, Bucknell, Penn and Drexel. Clarion got an honorable mention.

Appreciate the details. I think its a good step forward for them. The new facility will be huge for Pitt in next few years of recruiting. Already have two commits for 2024…
Jackson Young NJ 141?
Kade Brown OH 149?

Heard 2024 is strong class. Know if others they are targeting?

Appreciate the details. I think its a good step forward for them. The new facility will be huge for Pitt in next few years of recruiting. Already have two commits for 2024…
Jackson Young NJ 141?
Kade Brown OH 149?

Heard 2024 is strong class. Know if others they are targeting?
I don't think there are a ton of targets for 2024. The lineup is pretty young and has a decent amount of scholarship money tied up for a few years. Plus, I think the landscape has changed to the point where there can be more value in the portal than in recruiting.

It's possible to save a year of money (redshirt season) by hitting the portal, which is huge. If you only have 9.9 scholarships and 2 of those (one-fifth) are tied up by guys redshirting, you're really limited. I think the strategy is to let someone else pay for that and bring in a redshirt sophomore/junior who's ready to step into the lineup immediately.

Pitt uses the transfer portal better than almost any other team. I agree would like to see more HS recruits. Add Finn Solomon to this class and I think we would be a “theoretical” top 15 class especially since Coach Gavin doesn’t typically lose too many transfers of note. Same with last year Heller brothers are some of the best transfers that happen end last season especially since they had multiple years of eligibility

I don't think there are a ton of targets for 2024. The lineup is pretty young and has a decent amount of scholarship money tied up for a few years. Plus, I think the landscape has changed to the point where there can be more value in the portal than in recruiting.

It's possible to save a year of money (redshirt season) by hitting the portal, which is huge. If you only have 9.9 scholarships and 2 of those (one-fifth) are tied up by guys redshirting, you're really limited. I think the strategy is to let someone else pay for that and bring in a redshirt sophomore/junior who's ready to step into the lineup immediately.
Honestly that's the smartest play.

Reactions: Eric_Knopsnyder
I honestly think the assessment is spot on as we do not recruit good enough. we’re getting better and I believe without a doubt the new facilities will help and more people on the podium. hopefully 2025 recruiting class is our highest rated class we’ve been looking for.. Its just not a coincidence that our last all Americans and national champions have been in the top 100 coming out of high school. Obviously it’s not the end all be all if you were outside of it because we’ve seen many examples of ones that have gotten on the podium, but obviously the percentages are higher if they are within the top hundred.

I never want to root against other teams success, but man if Oklahoma didn’t drop the ball with the coaching fiasco, I’m not sure we would have landed Santaniello who helped spring us into the top 25.

2024 leaves a lot to be desired as well.

But looking at the current roster there’s not a ton of glaring holes, as long as everyone pans out, which is a big if.

We have 4 years at 25-41 between chappel, Santaniello, Santaniello, and priest.

4 years at 49 and 57 with Solomon and Keslar as well as others who in the mix

4 years at 65-84 between MacKay and Evans and 3 years with Luca

4 years with Pitzer and Stout at 97 and Heavy

We should have all the weights locked in through 2026-27 season outside of 74 or 84 whichever one Luca ends up going long term. Gavin has also done a great job in the portal so whoever doesn’t pan out, he can get an answer for.

I never want to root against other teams success, but man if Oklahoma didn’t drop the ball with the coaching fiasco, I’m not sure we would have landed Santaniello who helped spring us into the top 25.

2024 leaves a lot to be desired as well.

But looking at the current roster there’s not a ton of glaring holes, as long as everyone pans out, which is a big if.

We have 4 years at 25-41 between chappel, Santaniello, Santaniello, and priest.

4 years at 49 and 57 with Solomon and Keslar as well as others who in the mix

4 years at 65-84 between MacKay and Evans and 3 years with Luca

4 years with Pitzer and Stout at 97 and Heavy

We should have all the weights locked in through 2026-27 season outside of 74 or 84 whichever one Luca ends up going long term. Gavin has also done a great job in the portal so whoever doesn’t pan out, he can get an answer for.
Chappell. - Tebo is redshirting, I would be surprised if he is not a 125 all 5 years.

But do you really think Wyoming is going to be better than Pitt? They lost an all American to the transfer portal in Bucanhan.

Vtech had a strong class on paper but is Mullen going to do both football and wrestling? Seems unlikely.

Reactions: Eric_Knopsnyder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT