ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thoughts

valawpanther

Walk-on
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2008
I thought Wanny did a great job of creating an early bond among area recruits and with Pitt. I think it was really evident in 2006 when it seemed like all the Peak articles mentioned some combination of Dickerson, Fields, Malecki , Pinkston and Byham hang ing out at practice or basketball games. It didn't make it a package deal but I think it made it easier once one of the area stars committed to Pitt to think I want to join in and make my mark on my hometown team.

I think in 2007 it seemed like the Pittsburgh nucleus was Caragein, Decicco, Jacobson and Lindsey. 2008 was Baldwin, Nix, Shannahan and Turnley.

The subsequent coaches didn't seem to me to recruit the area in the same way (solely based on Peak's reporting) . But I think Narduzzi is taking advantage of Pitt's proximity to talent to get the area stars to hang out together at the Southside and at basketball games. If he can produce on the field (which I think he will) I think there is the possibility of creating that pull to Pitt. It also has to help that local Western PA stars Conner and Boyd have made a name for themselves at Pitt and are hometown heroes. If Whitehead has similar freshman success as those two I think Narduzzi has a helluva sales pitch to Pittsburgh area recruits.

For now the fact that Hamlin, George, Pugh are choosing to hang around Pitt with kids like Hudson, Shaw, Wheeler and now Coleman seems to be similar to Wanny's recruiting. With the addition of twitter and social media, if you can get some of the group excited about Pitt, it can pay big dividends.

I think the 2017 class is even more interesting as you have Hainsey, Jeter and Wade embracing Pitt.

Wins and the product on the field are more important than games at the Pete, but it seems like this staff are making the right moves.

Last 2 thoughts:

1. Offering the top kids in the nation, I think would enhance the appeal of a Pitt offer to local kids. If you are Hamlin and Pitt offers the #1, 2, 3, ... CB and says you are our priority, it would be more flattering than being the far and away best choice on the board. And if you are Coleman it has to feel very satisfying to see your name on that offer list.

And..

2. It seems like the stars have aligned potentially for a similar cluster of talent in North Carolina with both Gilberts, Robert Washington and Harbison all seemingly excited about Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News