ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
The mantra when Gavin was hired was that he would need a couple of years and then he would start recruiting very well. According to Internat’s rankings, so far it isn’t happening.

I’m excluding PSU recruits from this because Sanderson gets who he wants. Pitt doesn’t have a verbal from the top-ranked Pennsylvania kid in ANY weight class. I am excluding the three lightest weights because most of those wrestlers are sophomores and juniors. Above those weights, we are getting beaten for PA recruits by VT(3), UNC (1) and Virginia (1) in the ACC. The top-rated WPIAL wrestler, Hillegas, ranked #2 nationally in his weight class, is going to an ACC rival, VT. The second and third highest nationally-ranked WPIAL seniors, Nijenhuis and Stoudt, are going to Purdue and Princeton. VT has 2 commits from PA ranked #2 nationally, Hillegas and Caldea, a Hwt from Eastern PA. They also have a PA commit ranked 7th at 170. The 3 time state champion from Frazier, ranked #4, is going to Lehigh. Another PA wrestler who is #5 in that weight class is going to Cornell. The top-ranked PA wrestler at 195 is going to Michigan. Pitt doesn’t have one commit from a ranked PA wrestler.

it’s not all bad. Burnett, from Ohio, is rated #5 nationally. The Heavyweight, Whitehill, who recently visited is ranked #8. Per Intermat, he still is committed to Clarion, although it was posted here that he eventually will sign with either Pitt or Rutgers.

However, there is no way to sugarcoat the fact that Gavin’s recruiting has not stepped up in years 2 and 3. A good argument could be made that his first year was his best, with the two transfers and Cole Matthews. Last year, he had two top-ten national commits in Magill and Cooley. This year, so far, only one. And, LOI day is this month.

Meanwhile, VT’s recruiting keeps getting better as does UNC’s and UVA’s. VT’s incoming class arguably could be #2 nationally, behind PSU.

The mantra when Gavin was hired was that he would need a couple of years and then he would start recruiting very well. According to Internat’s rankings, so far it isn’t happening.

I’m excluding PSU recruits from this because Sanderson gets who he wants. Pitt doesn’t have a verbal from the top-ranked Pennsylvania kid in ANY weight class. I am excluding the three lightest weights because most of those wrestlers are sophomores and juniors. Above those weights, we are getting beaten for PA recruits by VT(3), UNC (1) and Virginia (1) in the ACC. The top-rated WPIAL wrestler, Hillegas, ranked #2 nationally in his weight class, is going to an ACC rival, VT. The second and third highest nationally-ranked WPIAL seniors, Nijenhuis and Stoudt, are going to Purdue and Princeton. VT has 2 commits from PA ranked #2 nationally, Hillegas and Caldea, a Hwt from Eastern PA. They also have a PA commit ranked 7th at 170. The 3 time state champion from Frazier, ranked #4, is going to Lehigh. Another PA wrestler who is #5 in that weight class is going to Cornell. The top-ranked PA wrestler at 195 is going to Michigan. Pitt doesn’t have one commit from a ranked PA wrestler.

it’s not all bad. Burnett, from Ohio, is rated #5 nationally. The Heavyweight, Whitehill, who recently visited is ranked #8. Per Intermat, he still is committed to Clarion, although it was posted here that he eventually will sign with either Pitt or Rutgers.

However, there is no way to sugarcoat the fact that Gavin’s recruiting has not stepped up in years 2 and 3. A good argument could be made that his first year was his best, with the two transfers and Cole Matthews. Last year, he had two top-ten national commits in Magill and Cooley. This year, so far, only one. And, LOI day is this month.

Meanwhile, VT’s recruiting keeps getting better as does UNC’s and UVA’s. VT’s incoming class arguably could be #2 nationally, behind PSU.
You felt a need to post this at this time?

Reactions: persp
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how the guys in this class turn out.

as far as the really big time guys, the field house is still tough to overcome. They’ve done a nice job dressing it up, and I think we’re going to get there. It just won’t be overnight

I am going to be seeing one of those recruits and his family tomorrow, as well as a very highly connected western PA wrestling personality and I just may have to ask them their opinion of Gavin/Pitt. You have me curious.

Btw, I haven’t looked recently. Has Alvaro Morata found his form yet in the Spain? Looks like my Blues have finally found a productive striker to replace Diego Costa, and it came from our academy.

Mike, you may be misinformed or just trolling but Mick Burnett is the most credentialed recruit they have gotten. And he just placed higher than Hillegas in the super 32 tournament at the same weight. Also pa power has Brock McMillen the 3rd overall best recruit in PA. So it looks like recruiting is getting better because the quality of wrestler they are getting is better. Did you mean to say recruiting isn’t as good as Vtechs recruiting or something like that? That looks to be an accurate statement right now.

When they start putting guys on the podium, recruiting will improve. The RTC helps, but I don’t think that Pitt sells theirs well enough. The colors don’t say “Pitt”. I have a PWC Elite hat that I wear, but Nobody knows what that is. I look like an accountant, not a Pitt RTC supporter.

Reactions: DevilDog42
Fyi. I heard Pitt got a commitment from Luca Augustine (waynesburg) from the class of 2021. He was a state qualifier as a sophomore at 152 last year and is very young age wise for his grade.

People were begging for some recruiting buzz. I guess Mike kicked the hive - LOL.

Gavin stated he has a couple of guys he expects to sign Wednesday, which he is very happy about. He understands, because they are young, and the guys they have will be around for a long time, they need quality and not quantity and that is what he is getting. I suspect the guys he is bringing in will be around 157 and 285.

I also agree with Kreitzer. Pitt does not sell the program or the RTC well. Fortunately, in a short while, the winning will start to sell itself. Gavin and Co are all good guys, and while they are intense about their expectations on how to compete, they do not lose sight of the people side of the athletes they are recruiting. That, and the school and the advantages in the city of Pittsburgh are real positives. And you cant forget the school is in western PA.

Last edited:
I am going to be seeing one of those recruits and his family tomorrow, as well as a very highly connected western PA wrestling personality and I just may have to ask them their opinion of Gavin/Pitt. You have me curious.

Btw, I haven’t looked recently. Has Alvaro Morata found his form yet in the Spain? Looks like my Blues have finally found a productive striker to replace Diego Costa, and it came from our academy.

Let us know what you hear.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
We need to put pressure on the administration to upgrade the facilities period!

I know that they recently brought in Trent Schultheis of Freedom High School. I believe he finished as a PIAA AA Runner up last year as a sophomore at 152. I know he’s moving up this year.

Reactions: Ryno53
Surprised Joey Fischer committed to Clarion. I know he was in on a visit as well

Fyi. I heard Pitt got a commitment from Luca Augustine (waynesburg) from the class of 2021. He was a state qualifier as a sophomore at 152 last year and is very young age wise for his grade.

Willie Saylor reported that he is in fact committed to Pitt. Had a great ironman and is rising up the rankings. 2021 shaping up to be a great class with McMillen already on board

Willie Saylor reported that he is in fact committed to Pitt. Had a great ironman and is rising up the rankings. 2021 shaping up to be a great class with McMillen already on board
My nephew is a freshman on the team with him around the same weight. Luca is supposed to be super smart and hard working. I expect he will continue to improve and wrestles a solid college style and is tough on top already. They definitely have a good start to the 2021 class.

Reactions: Ryno53
He is at 160 and ranked #12 in the nation on flo at the weight after ironman updates. They now have 4 kids ranked in the top 20 at their respective weights in the country. All are underclassmen.

Reactions: omega
It is absolutely amazing the amount of talent that Waynesburg turns out. Absolutely incredible!

waynesburg is very solid. but canon McMillan rules the area in wrestling every year.

Canon Mac does usually run the show in the wpial. Waynesburg is actually AA in population but petitions to wrestle up to AAA every year. The current group of freshmen and sophomores won the state tournament in junior high in overall points at states. Currently they are ranked above Canon-Mac and have no seniors on their team. Waynesburg should be able to pass up Canon Mac for a couple of years in the next few.

Waynesburg will be loaded for the next few years and then they’ll be average, their youth program doesn’t have any depth. They have a 7th grader who’s tough, but not much else in the lower grades yet. Obviously that can change, as kids mature and hit puberty. They got a big boost, when Welsh decided to transfer in. He’s tough as nails and made a very good lineup better.

Reactions: jtmakel
Hopefully it will gain momentum. But the facilities are great. I’ve said it before most wrestlers are not city kids. So out of the half that are Pitt needs to their share there. Th room is getting better it’s not just a one or two year fix.

Hopefully it will gain momentum. But the facilities are great. I’ve said it before most wrestlers are not city kids. So out of the half that are Pitt needs to their share there. Th room is getting better it’s not just a one or two year fix.

When Victory Heights is done we’re going to be in great shape. Until then I think it’s important to do what we can in the field house

Reactions: jctrack
When Victory Heights is done we’re going to be in great shape. Until then I think it’s important to do what we can in the field house
The facilities are fine Penn St has majority in rec hall. Hopefully an all American or two then keep gaining momentum it’s coming.

The facilities are fine Penn St has majority in rec hall. Hopefully an all American or two then keep gaining momentum it’s coming.

penn state has way better facilities than us, and we won’t put a bunch of $$ into the field house knowing we won’t be there for much longer so for the time being I think we’re stuck as is. Although the arena part looks better than it ever has with the cosmetic changes and scoreboard additions. We’re also supposed to update the colors in the room hopefully within the next year.

great youth programs, wrestling culture, a lot of success plastered on the walls in their gym. It's their sport.

I remember Dale Murdock, Gary McClure and Bill Brunofski. Waynesburg has had a lot of talent over the years.

Last edited:
I remember Dale Murdock, Gary McClure and Bill Brunofski. Waynesburg has had a lot of talent over the years.
It was Coleman Scott and Josh Koscheck in my era. I know I forgetting others too. Always a good program

penn state has way better facilities than us, and we won’t put a bunch of $$ into the field house knowing we won’t be there for much longer so for the time being I think we’re stuck as is. Although the arena part looks better than it ever has with the cosmetic changes and scoreboard additions. We’re also supposed to update the colors in the room hopefully within the next year.
Have you ever been in a match at rec hall? Our field house is better It’s just a slow haul we have a couple building blocks in place now just have to keep adding.

Have you ever been in a match at rec hall? Our field house is better It’s just a slow haul we have a couple building blocks in place now just have to keep adding.

im talking about the actual wrestling facilities at PSU are better like the wrestling room and locker rooms. We aren’t adding much more to the field house, it’s getting torn down in a couple years.

Reactions: ThePanthers
im talking about the actual wrestling facilities at PSU are better like the wrestling room and locker rooms. We aren’t adding much more to the field house, it’s getting torn down in a couple years.
I really enjoy going to matches at the field house, just seems like a great home venue. I get it the practice room and weight room are not up to good high school standards. They will be improved as the march to relevance in most sports will happen.

Reactions: singregardless

A lot of great memories of the field house.

Reactions: singregardless
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT