Jul 21, 2001
QB - Very Good
RB - Very Good - but seem to have gotten away from bigger backs
WR - Very Poor until this year
OL - Poor - because of lack of depth
TE - Very Poor - because of personal problems - Clark and Reeves

DL - Good
LB - Very Poor - I thought Harley could recruit
DB - Very Good - though I would like better depth at safety - maybe it's coming (updated ranking)

K - Average - have been good long range, disappointing on shorter range
P - Average - Inconsistent

Last edited:
DL "Good"? They helped lead the nation in sacks even though they lost two of their starting front four for the season. They have found talent in 4 star kids like Watts and 2 star guys like Jones. I'd like to have seen more from their back up tackles, but that is easily the position group that this staff has recruited the best.

The problem for the backup defensive tackles became secondary starters, the backups to the backups are raw right now

PITT needs a QB -WR combo that lights it up and a really exciting RB that people want to come to Heinz to watch.

4 yards and a cloud of dust, although effective, isn't going to work.
Keep the cloud of dust guy on the roster for the times we need him.
Times have changed.

QB - Very Good

DL - Good
DB - Good - though I would like better depth at safety - maybe it's coming

Pitt’s QB’s this season have passed for 13 touchdowns and thrown 10 interceptions. How can you rate them very good?

Similarly, the top 4 RB’s have gained a total of 1300 yards, and are also very good?

Reactions: brickfhouse
DL "Good"? They helped lead the nation in sacks even though they lost two of their starting front four for the season. They have found talent in 4 star kids like Watts and 2 star guys like Jones. I'd like to have seen more from their back up tackles, but that is easily the position group that this staff has recruited the best.
This was a recruiting ranking. Where were Weaver, Jones, Alexander, Baldanado, Mimes, Bentley and Green ranked by rivals? Some of these players did turn out to be quite good.

Davis under performed, sibley has played sparingly and salahuddin is gone. At what point is this myth of our rb recruiting being good going to be debunked?

Pitt’s QB’s this season have passed for 13 touchdowns and thrown 10 interceptions. How can you rate them very good?

Similarly, the top 4 RB’s have gained a total of 1300 yards, and are also very good?
Ever single running back we recruited were highly rated (even some that moved on). They have very little say in the OL they play behind or the play selection of the OC.

Beville is at rivals 5.8, Patti was rivals 5.7. How does that compare to the rest of our recruits? Most of our recruits are 5.5 or 5.6.

The RBs and QBs clearly exceeded those ratings.

This was a recruiting ranking. Where were Weaver, Jones, Alexander, Baldanado, Mimes, Bentley and Green ranked by rivals? Some of these players did turn out to be quite good.

Then why caveat Reeves and Clark for personal problems and rate them “very poor”? Both were high 4 / 5 stars, so based upon “ranking” TE should be killing it.

Btw, Weaver was a Michigan commit at one point and look at Bentley’s offers. Both were nice pickups, as were Twyman, Watts and Camp.

Then why caveat Reeves and Clark for personal problems and rate them “very poor”? Both were high 4 / 5 stars, so based upon “ranking” TE should be killing it.

Btw, Weaver was a Michigan commit at one point and look at Bentley’s offers. Both were nice pickups, as were Twyman, Watts and Camp.
Narduzzi freshman recruits rated over rivals 5.6i including 2020 commits)

OL - 4, TE - 1, WR - 5 (3 2020), QB - 2, RB - 5

DL - 5 (probably down to 4 - guessing 2020 Brown does not enroll) LB - 1, DB - 7

Number of recruits taken at each position factor into ranking.

Updating DB to very good.

Last edited:

DL - 5, LB - 1, DB - 7

Updating DB to very good.
One linebacker over 5.6 in 4 years, one tight end over 5.6 in four years.

Last edited:

DL - 5, LB - 1, DB - 7

Personally I give them credit for identifying or developing guys regardless of ranking.

But fair enough. Just seems like an odd way to look at it when some of those have played the balance of their career to evaluate. Based upon that approach, Pitt really missed the boat on Morelli as he would’ve eclipsed Bosick as the greatest QB recruit in program history.

Personally I give them credit for identifying or developing guys regardless of ranking.

But fair enough. Just seems like an odd way to look at it when some of those have played the balance of their career to evaluate. Based upon that approach, Pitt really missed the boat on Morelli as he would’ve eclipsed Bosick as the greatest QB recruit in program history.
Rick Bowen was a Parade All American QB that went to Pitt.

Recruiting ratings are largely meaningless, but they do generally indicate high level interest. That and video highlights are what you have to go on until you get them on campus. How often is any out of state recruit seen live? We know there are few worthy local recruits and we don't get many of those.

Didn’t realize this was an exercise in star ratings. But results on the field once they’re here are all that matters so I’m not sure what you’re after here.
If most of your recruits are above a 5.6 rating (and you have weeded out the head cases) your hit rate will be considerably higher. Wouldn't you think?

If most of your recruits are above a 5.6 rating (and you have weeded out the head cases) your hit rate will be considerably higher. Wouldn't you think?

I don’t follow it that closely so I can’t offer an educated opinion - or even guess.

I’ve seen individual and overall class ratings on this board and that’s about it.

So as it relates to your QB comments today their ratings may well be very good so I’ll take your word for it.

Reactions: gary2
What is the topic? Is it recruiting this year? Is it during Coach Duzz's tenure? We don't even have a QB in the upcoming class!

A very good rating means that we are at the top in that category.....really?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
What is the topic? Is it recruiting this year? Is it during Coach Duzz's tenure? We don't even have a QB in the upcoming class!

A very good rating means that we are at the top in that category.....really?
Freshman recruiting doing Narduzzi's tenure. I understand 2020 is not complete. I fully expect a QB in this class. We already have a 5.8 and a 5.7 QB in a four year period. If we get another, that's great, if we don't the QB rating does not go down.

With few remaining scholarship there is not much room for change.

Top for us, certainly not top in the country.

QB - Very Good

DL - Good
DB - Very Good - though I would like better depth at safety - maybe it's coming (updated ranking)

Qb- below average
Rb- below average
Dl- great
Lb- below average

based on the only metric which matters - results

Reactions: Las Panteras
Time of signing....
QB - very average
RB - very good
WR - very average
OL - above average to good (Kradel, Zubic, Ford, and Houy were all wanted by power 5 teams)
ATH- above average (carter, french etc)

DL - average to above average (out preformed stars big time)
LB - average with the chance of being good with this class
DB - above average to good (out preformed stars big time or Hamlin/Ford lived up too)

To me the offensive recruits have not been quite as good because the OC and system keeps changing. Also if you look at some of the Oline I mentioned above those guys were hoping to block for 2 - 1000 yard rushers not 50 passes a game.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Ever single running back we recruited were highly rated (even some that moved on). They have very little say in the OL they play behind or the play selection of the OC.

Beville is at rivals 5.8, Patti was rivals 5.7. How does that compare to the rest of our recruits? Most of our recruits are 5.5 or 5.6.

If our QB and RB recruits were so good, why are they performing at such a mediocre level? There rankings are irrelevant once they reach campus and actually play. Performance matters, not rankings.

Reactions: Las Panteras
I have a hard time giving the RBs anything more than average and in fact I’d say they’ve been below average. They can’t break arm tackles and don’t hit the holes hard. While the run blocking has not been great they’ve. Left yards on the field

we don’t know if Beville is as good as some say so until we find out how good he is I’d say qb is average to below average

The OL is average but let’s see what they look like next year

I think the LB recruiting has picked up. LB play this year was pretty good

Forget the ratings, look at the offer sheets for the QB’s. Patti and Beville have mostly Ivy League type offers. Pickett’s offer sheet was a little better, though not all that much.

I can’t see how anyone can impartially list QB recruiting any higher than a C.

RB recruiting has been not very good for a while, regardless of the Stars. We have larger guys with little elusiveness or burst. And we have guys with some wiggle but no size. No one who can get carries throughout the game and be a threat throughout the game...

My .02.

Go Pitt.

QBs by star rating were below average, on the field performance was average (1 great year with Peterman, mostly terrible-to-average with Pickett and everyone else). Not sure what we have in Beville. We really need a QB this class.

OL by star rating was probably above average, on the field performance was probably good-to-average (mostly good except this year, pass pro this year was fine).

LBs by star rating probably below-average, on the field performance was probably below-average to average (mostly bad during Narduzzi's tenure but the crew this year was excellent). I'm bullish on the LBs we will get this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT