ADVERTISEMENT

? Regarding Pirates

therod

Prep
Jul 9, 2002
I have given up any hope for the Bucs winning a division or wildcard birth months ago and so I lowered my bar to hoping they finish above 500. Can they achieve that? How many games are left? What do you think about Kang coming back at the end of the season? Been a Pirate fan since the fifth grade back in the sixties.

Reactions: paulbl99
I have given up any hope for the Bucs winning a division or wildcard birth months ago and so I lowered my bar to hoping they finish above 500. Can they achieve that? How many games are left? What do you think about Kang coming back at the end of the season? Been a Pirate fan since the fifth grade back in the sixties.
I think their magic number in my local case of beer better season bet with a Phillies fan is down to like 4 or 5...Never imagined that possibility 40 days ago...

Reactions: paulbl99
Parts need to win 2/4 to finish 82-80. Magic # to finish ahead of Phils is 2

Even if Phils sweep the Braves, they would be 81-81, so I think the Buccos only need to win 1 of 3 to finish ahead of them. That would put them at 81 wins also, but they would finish at 81-80 and 0.5 games up since their make up game that was scheduled against Miami for Sunday has been cancelled.

Reactions: wicker
I think their magic number in my local case of beer better season bet with a Phillies fan is down to like 4 or 5...Never imagined that possibility 40 days ago...

Bucs need 1 win in Cincy and Phillies need to sweep Braves. What Philly beer is your buddy buying you?

Bucs need 1 win in Cincy and Phillies need to sweep Braves. What Philly beer is your buddy buying you?
Ya, I actually lost track of the season and for some reason thought two series were left..I would tell you the beer (not philly beer though) but I would be made fun of in that it is a domestic and not an ipa with hops that spent forty-seven hours below virgin Belgian sheep while the humidity was between 56 and 59% accentuated with lime from the gungachacka region of costa rica. Now, of course, if I were still able to get a great Philly beer...No Doubt, Schmidt's of Philadelphia...

Last edited:
Ya, I actually lost track of the seas and for some reason thought two series were left..I would tell you the beer (not philly beer though) but I would be made fun of in that it is a domestic and not an ipa with hops that spent forty-seven hours below virgin Belgian sheep while the humidity was between 56 and 59% accentuated with lime from the gungachacka region of costa rica. Now, of course, if I were still able to get a great Philly beer...No Doubt, Schmidt's of Philadelphia...

Drink what you like man, but know that beers from Philly would still be domestic - even if they are craft. But if you want a good Philly beer that is not an IPA you might try Yard's Brawler. It is a nice English mild that leans more to the malt than hops.

81 wins gets them above.500. They need one out of three this weekend. I think this is important to avoid a 3rd strait losing season. I think the Pirates are poised to make a run next year IF management goes out and acquired a good bat or two. The pitching staff looks to be pretty damn good going in.

81 wins gets them above.500. They need one out of three this weekend. I think this is important to avoid a 3rd strait losing season. I think the Pirates are poised to make a run next year IF management goes out and acquired a good bat or two. The pitching staff looks to be pretty damn good going in.

Pitching is solid and so I agree with you that they could make a run with "a good bat or two", but I have no hope that will happen under current ownership. :(

Reactions: therod
Nutting will drop Mercer and Jayhey....and pocket that dough to make up for another projected downturn in attendance

Look at the rest of who they are playing this weekend that’s who you’ll be watching next year.

You can bet that.

Reactions: PittPoker
Nutting will drop Mercer and Jayhey....and pocket that dough to make up for another projected downturn in attendance

Look at the rest of who they are playing this weekend that’s who you’ll be watching next year.

You can bet that.
Mercer and Jayhay will both be free agents and the Pirates will be right to move on from them. We will have to see if they add a bat or two.

Mercer and Jayhay will both be free agents and the Pirates will be right to move on from them. We will have to see if they add a bat or two.

They will be right to move on from them, but they won't sign anyone worth a damn to replace either one either. They will stand pat counting on Newman and Kramer to magically develop despite neither one hitting his weight since call up. Just like 2015 when Happ left and they signed no one and instead crossed their fingers and assumed that Glasnow would morph into the ace they wanted him to be.

Like Paul said, watch this weekend, because that is mostly who you'll see next year.

They are right about those two but you think they will spend money to replace them or bolster elsewhere.

Not a chance!

Last edited:
Yes they will. How far they go is the question.
They’ll do as always.

Tell us to wish in one hand and S in the other....while Nuttmeg cuts back to make up another projected downturn in gate.....SOP

Kangs back whoppedity dooh.
They will talk this Perez kid up and blow so much smoke they’ll convince fans he’s Barry Bonds

SOS

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
They will need to replace Mercer. Harrison will hit .260 somewhere else next year with 6-8 weeks on the DL. Palonci will be out for some time.

If their starting IF is Moran, Newman, Kramer, and Bell then it is going to be a LONG season.

Put Kang in, most likely at SS for a better hitting lineup, 3rd for a better fielding lineup
Kang service time on contract was froze, so the Succos have him on the cheap for next year.

Kang service time on contract was froze, so the Succos have him on the cheap for next year.

No. they don't. He has a $5.5 million option for next season and if the Pirates don't pick up the option he is a free agent. The contract he signed has a clause in it that when the contract expired he was a free agent, even though his service time wouldn't have made him one.

Now $5.5 million isn't that expensive for a baseball player, especially a veteran, but I'm not sure with what has happened the last two years if it's likely to be a good investment of your resources. It's really hard for someone to sit out basically two full seasons and then come back and be a productive major league baseball player.

And if they try to make him the everyday shortstop, good lord would that be dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT