ADVERTISEMENT

Reminder: Pitt Day of Giving today

I got a phone call today from a young man at Pitt. He asked me to donate. I told him I donated $100 last week because the president waved 1.2 billion in tuition loan relief. I told him as a tax payer I am probably on the hook for $100 because the tax payers are going to have to come up with 1.2 billion.

I can’t wait for people on this board to shove it up my ass for the above comments. That’s just the way I feel. My wife and I worked our asses off to pay for 3 children’s higher education. 2 went to Pitt and 1 went to a Big 10 school.

If I took my wife to Maui for 10 days and dropped $15,000 with Marriott and Delta, would I give them $100 the next year as a donation because my vacation was such a great experience I want to help defray the cost for some other vacation goers. Maybe not the same comparison but then again. I’m a proud Pitt grad but I’m just not donating money.

Let’s discuss.

I got a phone call today from a young man at Pitt. He asked me to donate. I told him I donated $100 last week because the president waved 1.2 billion in tuition loan relief. I told him as a tax payer I am probably on the hook for $100 because the tax payers are going to have to come up with 1.2 billion.

I can’t wait for people on this board to shove it up my ass for the above comments. That’s just the way I feel. My wife and I worked our asses off to pay for 3 children’s higher education. 2 went to Pitt and 1 went to a Big 10 school.

If I took my wife to Maui for 10 days and dropped $15,000 with Marriott and Delta, would I give them $100 the next year as a donation because my vacation was such a great experience I want to help defray the cost for some other vacation goers. Maybe not the same comparison but then again. I’m a proud Pitt grad but I’m just not donating money.

Let’s discuss.

Do you complain when the government subsidizes rural air routes and the result comes from your taxes or leads to higher ticket prices?

The actual cost to taxpayers was zero. May actually be a net positive if it spurs spending.

If I loan you $100 and tell you that I'll add $1 a day in interest until you pay me back. After 150 days, you've paid only the interest which would have been $150. You technically still owe me $100 but I tell you I'm good, how much did it cost me to forgive that loan?

Reactions: singregardless

Let’s discuss.

What one does with their own money is up to them, but alumni that donate are essentially voting for their alma mater.

One can direct any donation amount to nearly any school, department, center, unit or student organization at the entirety of the four-campus university.

For instance, if one is on the right of the current political divide, you can donate directly to the College Republicans at Pitt or Turning Point USA Pitt Chapter.

You hear all the time how universities are too left as a reason not to give; well then logic would dictate that you'd want to direct your donation to such student organizations to provide a stronger counter voice.

Same on the left...plenty of choices.

Or someone that doesn't want to be left or right, one can donate to Pitt's Habitat for Humanity, or Pitt Wounded Warriors, or to cancer research, or to any number of club sports, or varsity athletics.

The university is large and includes a great many things and a great many causes. Instead of creating an excuse, just say you don't want to donate and leave it at that.

Last edited:
Or someone that doesn't want to be left or right, one can donate to Pitt's Habitat for Humanity, or Pitt Wounded Warriors, or to cancer research, or to any number of club sports, or varsity athletics.
Honest question here because I don't know how this works.

Is there any difference in how the money is allocated if you donate to Pitt's Habitat for Humanity, or Pitt Wounded Warriors Project chapter vs. the parent organization?

Does a percentage of that donation go to maintaining/running the local chapter, or does it all go directly to the parent organization?

Honest question here because I don't know how this works.

Is there any difference in how the money is allocated if you donate to Pitt's Habitat for Humanity, or Pitt Wounded Warriors Project chapter vs. the parent organization?

Does a percentage of that donation go to maintaining/running the local chapter, or does it all go directly to the parent organization?
The money is collected by Pitt and transferred to the student organization at Pitt.

Now, does the student chapter of any national organization have to pay dues or fees to the national organization? Maybe depending on the organization, but what is donated to the student club is up to that club for what it is used for. If they have a blurb about their club or organization, it may state their specific goals for fundraising. But not all of them have that stated.

But no, it does not get fed to the outside parent organization directly from the university itself. Your tax deductible donation record will be from the University of Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Reactions: NKSplitter
I can’t wait for people on this board to shove it up my ass for the above comments.
Actually you got a lot of thoughtful replies. I won't comment one
way or another on this issue other than you didnt get it "shoved
up your ass." In fact the general consensus seemed to respect the fact
that its your money to do with as you please.

Wow, are we actually getting civil here? ;)

The actual cost to taxpayers was zero. May actually be a net positive if it spurs spending.

If I loan you $100 and tell you that I'll add $1 a day in interest until you pay me back. After 150 days, you've paid only the interest which would have been $150. You technically still owe me $100 but I tell you I'm good, how much did it cost me to forgive that loan?
It most definitely cost the taxpayers since it was added to the national debt.

It most definitely cost the taxpayers since it was added to the national debt.
Forgiven debt is shown on the books but it's not real money. Unrealized returns? I don't really know how a paper transaction goes towards the national debt but I guess you can make numbers look however you like.

Edit: I'd be happy to read whatever you saw that shows this. I would be interested in it.

Last edited:
Forgiven debt is shown on the books but it's not real money. Unrealized returns? I don't really know how a paper transaction goes towards the national debt but I guess you can make numbers look however you like.

Edit: I'd be happy to read whatever you saw that shows this. I would be interested in it.
I didn't read it. I know how finances work. The repayments would have come into the govt as receipts to offset expenditures. Forgiving the repayments allows those expenditures to stand alone. Since our govt is a net debtor, allowing standalone expenditures to grow increases the national debt.

I didn't read it. I know how finances work. The repayments would have come into the govt as receipts to offset expenditures. Forgiving the repayments allows those expenditures to stand alone. Since our govt is a net debtor, allowing standalone expenditures to grow increases the national debt.
Right, unrealized returns.

Reactions: singregardless
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT