ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule to Nebraska

Mullen is damn good.

And if you’re a 3* program with no aspirations of competing for championships, he’s a home run hire.
Nebraska fans probably feel differently, but they are a 3* program, and they are going to have a hard time competing for championships.

The NIL, transfer portal, 12 team playoff, combined with elite guys leaving early for the NFL should narrow the gap and knock the shine off some of the top programs, so there is hope for those type of programs.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The only thing that matters is if you can go into the living room of a 5* recruit and beat out the Sabans and Smarts and Cristobals and Days and Rileys out for the world.
The dude was selling a school and program that was the equivalent of buying a house in Fallujah where these other guys are selling a mansion in Beverly Hills..

Good grief man..

There are a lot of major programs where it's impossible to recruit at an elite level. I don't think it matters all that much at Nebraska. Saban at Nebraska would never be able to sign the talent that any Joe Schmoe coaching at Alabama would.

Until the 2021 collapse, Mullen did okay at Florida. Dan Mullen signed 3 top 10 classes at Florida. His first class was low on numbers, so while it wasn't ranked in the top 10, it had 14 4-star recruits. He went to 3 NY6 bowl games and won the SEC East with a blowout win over UGA in 2020.
quiet tim and eric GIF

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I predict Rhule will win 9 or more games at some point over the next 3 seasons and the Big Ten West if they maintain the same conference format.

I read that one of the reasons he went for the Baylor job is because he could have a large amount of talent in his own backyard, lessening his need to travel and wine/dine out of state kids. Is it true? I dunno; I just read it on the internet somewhere. However, this was a guy who jumped at his first chance to to go the NFL, where by the way you don't have to recruit.
Reminds me of something one of the clowns in Congress said: "It's on the internet, so it must be true".

Your hatred of the Big10 is comical. You’re becoming more like SMF everyday.
The Big Ten has won 2 championships in football across the last 25 years and 1 in basketball over the last 32 years, yet their teams are always puffed up by their cronies in the media. All hatred is justified, as they are overrated as a conference every single year. We'll soon see it again when Michigan faces a team with a pulse.

The Big Ten has won 2 championships in football across the last 25 years and 1 in basketball over the last 32 years, yet their teams are always puffed up by their cronies in the media. All hatred is justified, as they are overrated as a conference every single year. We'll soon see it again when Michigan faces a team with a pulse.
I just looked it up, in the past 10 years we are 1-7 against Big Ten teams not named Michigan and Ohio St. How did that happen?
Either the Big Ten is better than you and so many on the lair say they are, or we really suck.

I just looked it up, in the past 10 years we are 1-7 against Big Ten teams not named Michigan and Ohio St. How did that happen?
Either the Big Ten is better than you and so many on the lair say they are, or we really suck.

8 games over 10 years is a pretty small sample size.

You think the Big 10 should be judged based on the results of 8 games over 10 years vs Pitt?

You really just wrote that?

You are trying way too hard to prop up the Big 10. Way too hard.

Reactions: FireballZ
You think the Big 10 should be judged based on the results of 8 games over 10 years vs Pitt?

You really just wrote that?

You are trying way too hard to prop up the Big 10. Way too hard.
Not trying to prop up the Big 10 at all, and I don’t like them, just living in the real world. Everyday on the lair there are countless posts about much the Big 10 sucks. It’s kind of sad actually, that it is important to so many on the lair to try to prove that the Big 10 sucks.
My point was, if the Big is THAT bad, how come we do so poorly against them.

He already turned around two downtrodden college programs and Nebraska will spend a lot of money on NIL to help recruiting.
what a coincidence, that is sort of the reasoning the GM of the Carolina Panthers told me the other night while we were sucking down a couple PBRs...

Not trying to prop up the Big 10 at all, and I don’t like them, just living in the real world. Everyday on the lair there are countless posts about much the Big 10 sucks. It’s kind of sad actually, that it is important to so many on the lair to try to prove that the Big 10 sucks.
My point was, if the Big is THAT bad, how come we do so poorly against them.
I don't think there are too many Pitt fans who think Pitt has been one of the top teams in the country over that time frame.

Pitt lost a lot of games to teams that weren't great teams; the fact that they lost to Big 10 teams doesn't somehow make the Big 10 any better or worse.

How about this, then: The Big 10 is not one of the best conferences, and Pitt hasn't been one of the best teams.

Would you agree to that statement?

Reactions: FireballZ
I don't think there are too many Pitt fans who think Pitt has been one of the top teams in the country over that time frame.

Pitt lost a lot of games to teams that weren't great teams; the fact that they lost to Big 10 teams doesn't somehow make the Big 10 any better or worse.

How about this, then: The Big 10 is not one of the best conferences, and Pitt hasn't been one of the best teams.

Would you agree to that statement?
I would.

Again, saying the Big Ten sucks has zero to do with Pitt or the ACC. Why do you have to keep connecting the two? And wake me up when Pitt schedules Big Ten bottom feeders. PSU and Iowa are respectable programs.

He seems like a very good hire based on what he did at Temple as an assistant/OC/HC. Seems unlikely Nebraska can ever return to 60s-90s glory with the current culture/ruleset regarding player mobility and easier national media coverage, but they should be better than they are.

You know, despite all of the media in their pocket, the preseason rankings, the number of teams and size of their fanbases, they only had 3 teams in the last regular season top 25. Even the ACC had 4.

He seems like a very good hire based on what he did at Temple as an assistant/OC/HC. Seems unlikely Nebraska can ever return to 60s-90s glory with the current culture/ruleset regarding player mobility and easier national media coverage, but they should be better than they are.
People seem to forget that Nebraska's glory days were in the Big 8 which was basically a Big 2 and tiny 6, sure they played a decent team or two every year non-conference wise but they had an easy path to 9 or 10 wins in a 11 game season. Then when the Big 12 was formed they were in the weaker division and didn't have to play Oklahoma every season.

Overrated. 2-18 against ranked teams. 1 good year at Baylor. 2 good years at temple. Bad NFL coach. So so hire

With him and Evan Cooper, they’re gonna hit the second-tier Philly kids hard.

People seem to forget that Nebraska's glory days were in the Big 8 which was basically a Big 2 and tiny 6, sure they played a decent team or two every year non-conference wise but they had an easy path to 9 or 10 wins in a 11 game season.

#9 Washington
#18 Texas A&M
#19 Missouri
#2 Kansas State

#23 Missouri
#2 Washington
#17 Kansas State
#14 Texas A&M

#17 Arizona State
#16 Kansas State
#5 Colorado
#23 Texas

#8 Kansas State
#10 Kansas
#7 Colorado

#24 WVU
#13 UCLA
#16 Kansas State
#2 Colorado

#20 Kansas State
#16 Colorado
#17 Oklahoma

#2 Washington
#8 Colorado
#13 Kansas

#4 Washinton
#24 Arizona State
#15 Colorado
#19 Oklahoma

I thought they always played good schedules..

In terms of suggesting the a conference in a Big2 and little 8 or whatever, what were the other conferences known as?

Big10 - OSU/MICH
BE - Miami/WVU
ACC - FSU
SEC - Florida/Tennessee
PAC - UCLA? - I can't even remember who was consistently great in that league in the 90's..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT