ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Andy Russell

Those 70's Steelers teams were so great. I remember it as the first time I could name all 11 members of the defense with their positions. Never was such a team ever put together before or since. I think every one of them deserved to be in the Hall of Fame.

In a rather unique twist, the editor (owner?) of the Pittsburgh Courier was essential to building those teams. He was responsible for compiling a Black college all-star team for the Courier, which was not only a Pittsburgh staple, but a source for African Americans throughout the country. The Steelers made the brilliant move of bringing him aboard.

Nowadays, no good players are unknown to the NFL. In those days, that wasn't the case.

It gives me chills just thinking of those teams. Thanks for the memories.

Those 70's Steelers teams were so great. I remember it as the first time I could name all 11 members of the defense with their positions. Never was such a team ever put together before or since. I think every one of them deserved to be in the Hall of Fame.

In a rather unique twist, the editor (owner?) of the Pittsburgh Courier was essential to building those teams. He was responsible for compiling a Black college all-star team for the Courier, which was not only a Pittsburgh staple, but a source for African Americans throughout the country. The Steelers made the brilliant move of bringing him aboard.

Nowadays, no good players are unknown to the NFL. In those days, that wasn't the case.

It gives me chills just thinking of those teams. Thanks for the memories.
Bill Nunn

Scouts depended on him.

He sandbagged John Stallworth for the Steelers by keeping him off his all star team. The Steelers then drafted him later in what I believe was the greatest draft by one team in the history of sports.

In the early 90's, my family went on vacation to Torch Lake, Michigan together with another family, who were very close friends of ours.

They had a son who was going to be a senior in high school that upcoming fall.

At night, we would sit around a campfire along the lake shore. The son would ask me all about Pitt and I would share my experiences about the school's academics, the campus, urban life, and Pitt social life.

My praise of Pitt must have been well received as he enrolled at Pitt, Oakland Campus.

After he graduated from Pitt, he called and asked if he could stop by and pay me a visit.

To my surprise, he brought a gift for me as a way to thank me for guiding him to Pitt. He said it was the best decision that he could have made.

That framed gift (below) is very special to me, a Steelers fan:

Andy-Russel-NFL.jpg

RIP Andy...

Last edited:
In the early 90's, my family went on vacation to Torch Lake, Michigan together with another family, who were very close friends of ours.

At night, we would sit around a campfire along the lake shore. The son would ask me all about Pitt and I would share my experiences about the school's academics, the campus, urban life, and Pitt social life.

My praise of Pitt must have been well received as he enrolled at Pitt, Oakland Campus.

After he graduated from Pitt, he called and asked if he could stop by and pay me a visit.

To my surprise, he brought a gift for me as a way to thank me for guiding him to Pitt. He said it was the beat decision that he could have made.

Andy-Russel-NFL.jpg

RIP Andy...
I think those lockers in the background are the same lockers used by the team today. Those Rooney’s like to recycle and have a hard time parting with a buck for upgrades.

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
Ray Mansfield and Andy Russell took an adventure vacation every year. They were best of friends.
I remember Mansfield talking about a recent pack mule trip they took in the Grand canyon when he spoke at an event my company hosted. He was a great speaker. He and Andy got down to the canyon floor and a heat wave almost killed them. He died not long after that He told stories of fishing in Alaska and being stalked by grizzlies on their way back to camp. They were planning to climb Kilimanjaro when he passed.

To my surprise, he brought a gift for me as a way to thank me for guiding him to Pitt. He said it was the beat decision that he could have made.

Andy-Russel-NFL.jpg

RIP Andy...
I could be wrong but it always seems to me that people forget how good Russell was. And if so I’m sure it was mostly to do with lining up next to 2 sure fire hall of famers and being surrounded by more. I’d be curious to know how many 7 time pro bowlers aren’t in the HOF and wonder if he’d be in with the same accolades if he played somewhere else. Those accolades also included and an all pro team and 3 all pro second teams.

I could be wrong but it always seems to me that people forget how good Russell was. And if so I’m sure it was mostly to do with lining up next to 2 sure fire hall of famers and being surrounded by more. I’d be curious to know how many 7 time pro bowlers aren’t in the HOF and wonder if he’d be in with the same accolades if he played somewhere else. Those accolades also included and an all pro team and 3 all pro second teams.
Not to mention 2 Super Bowl rings .

Definitely one of the most underrated of Steelers. He was a great guy. I got to meet him on a couple of occasions. No wonder why those Steelers were so good. They were genuinely good and smart guys who no doubt took well to coaching. Not to mention talent.

Reactions: mo cheeks

To my surprise, he brought a gift for me as a way to thank me for guiding him to Pitt. He said it was the best decision that he could have made.

Andy-Russel-NFL.jpg

RIP Andy...
Lambert and Ham looked so young here. And, not all that big by today's standards.

I remember an interview with Ham and he said that he was always trying to cut weight so he could cover receivers better.
Yeah . Lambert was tall and lean . But intimidated the heck out of RBs .
His attitude and no front teeth were pretty bad assed ...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT