ADVERTISEMENT

Ron C. strikes again

As they're keeping Tomlin, they're not winning a title with him. Might as well rebuild for better times after Tomlin ascends into heaven /sarc.

Reactions: 303vND
I didn't read it either, but what's absurd about considering it? He'll be 30 next year, sell high.
Yeah I see it but what do you get for a 30 year old lineman who's injury prone ?
Not a whole hell of a lot to help out this team short/long term ...

Reactions: OH Pete
Yeah I see it but what do you get for a 30 year old lineman who's injury prone ?
Hes worth a mint. You could get a lot for him.

I'm not quite ready to label him injury prone - I believe he did play in every regular season game - but injuries do become more common with aging players. Wouldn't that strengthen the argument to trade him though?

The Bears traded Mack at age 31 for a 2 and a 6, but also gained a lot of cap space. So, while I'm not advocating a trade, I see nothing absurd about considering it.

Since when has TJ Watt been injury prone? Other than 2022 when he played 10 games, Watt has played at least 15 games in 6 of 7 seasons.

A team should be willing to trade anyone for the right offer.

But if you trade Watt that's a sign that you are going into a rebuild. And the Stillers clearly don't think that they need a rebuild at this time.

Or, heck, just about ever.

What do you mean never? They were 2-6 last year when they shipped Claypool out. Rebuild complete!!

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

Mr Mike: With all due respect….At this pace, there ain’t enough years in your body until the Steelers are in the Super Bowl again… I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I’ll be around…

To win a Super Bowl in the next few years, the Steelers will have to make some bold moves now.

Unfortunately, Pittsburgh fans have more sacred cows than every cattle ranch in Texas…

The Steelers draft in April was the best they’ve had from top to bottom in years. They need a few more. To help that effort they need to shed salary and trade players that have value for draft picks. That includes Watt & Fitzpatrick for the right deal.

If not, you’d better quit any bad vices, exercise more, eat healthy and see your doctor on a regular basis in order to live more years.

I hate to say it but I've been saying the same thing for the last two years. I'd trade Watt in a second in the right deal. The Steelers are not one player away from winning a Super Bowl and Watt would bring them the most back in a trade.

I didn't read it either, but what's absurd about considering it? He'll be 30 next year, sell high.
In one column they talk about how the Steelers can't win a game without him. Then they want to trade him. For what? Draft picks that may not work out. Cook is an ass-clown.

Just some perspective. Prior to yesterday’s game none of the top 9 leaders in QB sacks were still in the playoffs. However 7 of the top 9 QBs (by yardage) were still in it.

Cook’s idea is not absurd if you could move up in the draft to get the next Stroud, but that’s a pretty big IF.

A team should be willing to trade anyone for the right offer.

But if you trade Watt that's a sign that you are going into a rebuild. And the Stillers clearly don't think that they need a rebuild at this time.

Or, heck, just about ever.
Your first and last sentence are spot on.

In regards to the middle portion it would depend on what we get in return.

I didn’t read the article. But if getting 2 first round pics comes in the deal, it’s a no brainer. Without looking I’m sure similar players yielded even more.

This is ludicrous. He’s the most disruptive defensive player in the league since Aaron Donald’s heyday. His presence has single-handidly won them a bunch of games despite a horrible offense the last 3 years. Besides, assuming KP becomes a solid QB under a new OC (on a rookie deal for 2 more years BTW) why would you give up the biggest defensive advantage in the NFL? Continue to invest in the OL and DB positions like last year and this is a team that can win the AFC North.

That is my thought. He is breaking down like his brother did. I wouldn't give more than a second round draft pick for him unless I were convinced he is the only thing my team would need to win a Super Bowl.

Just some perspective. Prior to yesterday’s game none of the top 9 leaders in QB sacks were still in the playoffs. However 7 of the top 9 QBs (by yardage) were still in it.

Cook’s idea is not absurd if you could move up in the draft to get the next Stroud, but that’s a pretty big IF.
Who is the next Stroud? I think they all have major question marks and that none of them are worth the gamble. For every CJ Stroud, there are at least 2 busts.

As they're keeping Tomlin, they're not winning a title with him. Might as well rebuild for better times after Tomlin ascends into heaven /sarc.
Agree - get what you can while you can. This team needs a total reset not a remake.

Reactions: pittmeister
Who is the next Stroud? I think they all have major question marks and that none of them are worth the gamble. For every CJ Stroud, there are at least 2 busts.
There’s the issue. Nobody knows. So you gotta be a gambling man to even though k of risking it.

Reactions: 303vND
There's too much dead cap money to make it worth it unless they really, really need the space and to that end, you're probably going to hurt your return because that will be used as leverage against you. The sweet spot for that trade is pretty small and you'd likely be getting mid to late round picks from an up and coming team that has a ton of cap space and won't care if he becomes a UFA in two years. And then you have to replace him which means you're probably burning one of those picks on a pass rusher.

The NFL isn't fantasy football. Trading Hall of Fame players still in the prime sends a message: we aren't ready to win. Free agents hear that message and go elsewhere. Players hear that message and cut corners. It is psychologically debilitating to send a true professional away in return for 2 lottery tickets.

And on the other side, of the ledger, what do the Steelers get? Two guys who have almost no chance of being as good as Watt. Maybe they will be quality starters. The draft is a crap shoot. I would never trade a dude like TJ Watt in his prime unless I was already planning on winning no more than 5 games. The Steelers are just better than that.

I didn’t read the article. But if getting 2 first round pics comes in the deal, it’s a no brainer. Without looking I’m sure similar players yielded even more.
2 First rounders . Sure . But highly doubtful . IMO ...

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The NFL isn't fantasy football. Trading Hall of Fame players still in the prime sends a message: we aren't ready to win. Free agents hear that message and go elsewhere. Players hear that message and cut corners. It is psychologically debilitating to send a true professional away in return for 2 lottery tickets.

And on the other side, of the ledger, what do the Steelers get? Two guys who have almost no chance of being as good as Watt. Maybe they will be quality starters. The draft is a crap shoot. I would never trade a dude like TJ Watt in his prime unless I was already planning on winning no more than 5 games. The Steelers are just better than that.
You said it. The NFL ain’t fantasy football. It’s amazing how many fans don’t get how silly trading a non-QB player in his prime is nowadays. The days of Dallas trading Herschel Walker for 8 picks is over. Plus, back in the day there were only a few really good teams and you could build slowly. Not so much anymore.

The days of Dallas trading Herschel Walker for 8 picks is over. Plus, back in the day there were only a few really good teams and you could build slowly. Not so much anymore.
The Deshaun Watson trade was pretty close but you're right. It takes an incredible act of desperation to pull something like that off and a player that has the perceived potential to turn a franchise around or put it over the top.

You said it. The NFL ain’t fantasy football. It’s amazing how many fans don’t get how silly trading a non-QB player in his prime is nowadays. The days of Dallas trading Herschel Walker for 8 picks is over. Plus, back in the day there were only a few really good teams and you could build slowly. Not so much anymore.

Bill Belichick would disagree, and he has the hardware to prove it.

I didn't know Ron Cook was still around. I thought he was fired or dead or drunk in a corner somewhere.

Bill Belichick would disagree, and he has the hardware to prove it.

Lol what? Bill Belichick coached many of the best players of all time. He had the best player in NFL history for 20 years. He had the best TE in NFL history for 9. He had the 2nd best WR in history still in his prime. His DT for a 4 time All Pro. His DE was a 4 time All Pro. He had a 3 time All Pro at S. He had not one but TWO of the best kickers of all time. He had a bunch of other guys at key positions like DB and pass rush make All Pro.

The only big name guy I remember him trading for anything of value was Richard Seymour. The Patriots took Nate Solder, who was a solid starter but never made All Pro. That's actually the perfect example of "careful what you wish for." How about Tyreek Hill? I bet the Chiefs would love to have him back rather than the 3rd best CB from the 2022 rookie class.

Reactions: Burgh15
Lol what? Bill Belichick coached many of the best players of all time. He had the best player in NFL history for 20 years. He had the best TE in NFL history for 9. He had the 2nd best WR in history still in his prime. His DT for a 4 time All Pro. His DE was a 4 time All Pro. He had a 3 time All Pro at S. He had not one but TWO of the best kickers of all time. He had a bunch of other guys at key positions like DB and pass rush make All Pro.

The only big name guy I remember him trading for anything of value was Richard Seymour. The Patriots took Nate Solder, who was a solid starter but never made All Pro. That's actually the perfect example of "careful what you wish for." How about Tyreek Hill? I bet the Chiefs would love to have him back rather than the 3rd best CB from the 2022 rookie class.
Your memory is failing you.

And who said you have to use the draft picks in the draft? He acquired several players who went on to become all pro's with the draft picks he acquired and then bundled for other picks or players.

Your memory is failing you.

And who said you have to use the draft picks in the draft? He acquired several players who went on to become all pro's with the draft picks he acquired and then bundled for other picks or players.
Maybe my memory is failing too.. what was the Patriots big heist exactly?

The Patriots are a terrible example. This guy thinks we need to trade TJ Watt because we can't win anything meaningful with him. The Patriots literally traded one player remotely close to Watt's talent not because they couldn't win but because they didn't want to pay him. They won anyway because they had the best player of all time and a bunch of other good players who kept the train rolling. And even then, their trade of an All Pro DE in his prime netted them a solid, unspectacular, OT.

Just a bad analogy.

Yeah, mine as well. There were a lot of mini trades but mostly he just moved back in the draft when the players he wanted were taken or weren't going to come around. Most of their dynasty was built around a few stars and a lot of role players who had short shelf lives but fit a particular niche. He basically just worked it so he could pick more players and he was a very good talent evaluator.

The Patriots are a terrible example. This guy thinks we need to trade TJ Watt because we can't win anything meaningful with him. The Patriots literally traded one player remotely close to Watt's talent not because they couldn't win but because they didn't want to pay him. They won anyway because they had the best player of all time and a bunch of other good players who kept the train rolling. And even then, their trade of an All Pro DE in his prime netted them a solid, unspectacular, OT.

Just a bad analogy.

Where did I say we need to trade Watt? I specifically said I don't advocate it. Comprehension obviously not your strong point. Clearly they shouldn't even consider a trade though, because in his 7 seasons he's played in 3 playoff games and won an impressive 0. So, yeah, definitely keep doing what they're doing because it's working so well, never even consider a change. Talk about silly.

You mention all the great players that Belichick had, did he not trade the great receiver? Did he trade all pro Vrabel? Did he trade Logan Mankins? Did he trade Chandler Jones? Did he use draft capital to acquire other great players - all pro Wes Welker anyone? Remind me how he got Randy Moss.

But TJ Watt and all his success is untouchable. Give me a break, and stick to your fantasy football.

Where did I say we need to trade Watt? I specifically said I don't advocate it. Comprehension obviously not your strong point. Clearly they shouldn't even consider a trade though, because in his 7 seasons he's played in 3 playoff games and won an impressive 0. So, yeah, definitely keep doing what they're doing because it's working so well, never even consider a change. Talk about silly.

You mention all the great players that Belichick had, did he not trade the great receiver? Did he trade all pro Vrabel? Did he trade Logan Mankins? Did he trade Chandler Jones? Did he use draft capital to acquire other great players - all pro Wes Welker anyone? Remind me how he got Randy Moss.

But TJ Watt and all his success is untouchable. Give me a break, and stick to your fantasy football.
Vrabel and Matt Cassel were traded for one total 2nd round pick. Cassel had almost 3,900 passing and rushing yards that year so he was probably close to 100% of the value and Vrabel was a throw in.

Logan Mankins was traded for a reserve TE Tim Wright and a 4th. Again, pretty light compensation.

Chandler Jones had 3 out of his 4 best years after NE. He got a 2nd and Jonathan Cooper was a throw in.

Who was the great WR?

None of these guys are remotely close to Watt. And again, it's much easier to trade players away and try to develop a draft pick when you have Tom Brady.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT