ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Cook must have the biggest ____ right now ... both Pitt AND the Steelers lose

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
He already lambasted Pitt in today's PG ... and pretty much dismissed the Steelers, too.

I guess it's an unwritten "rule" that if a city has both a major professional and college sports presence, that city's newspaper needs a curmudgeon like Cook to be the bearer of bad news and pessimism

He must be sporting the biggest ____ (fill in the blank) after this weekend's Acrisure Stadium debacles. The "I told you so's" will be ringing out, loud and clear

Too bad that the only thing that will make Cook unhappy is when the Nits finally lose a game - or two - this year ... which is bound to happen before the playoffs

[sigh]

He already lambasted Pitt in today's PG ... and pretty much dismissed the Steelers, too.

I guess it's an unwritten "rule" that if a city has both a major professional and college sports presence, that city's newspaper needs a curmudgeon like Cook to be the bearer of bad news and pessimism

He must be sporting the biggest ____ (fill in the blank) after this weekend's Acrisure Stadium debacles. The "I told you so's" will be ringing out, loud and clear

Too bad that the only thing that will make Cook unhappy is when the Nits finally lose a game - or two - this year ... which is bound to happen before the playoffs

[sigh]
I gave up reading anything Ron Cook a long time ago, but is there anything negative that he might have written about yesterday that wasn’t deserved?

[sigh]
He loves to attack Pitt when they lose. And he will rag on the Steelers because of Kenny Picket. He'd love them if Jason White was the QB. In short, F**K Ron Cook.

[sigh]
I did something I don't normally do -- glanced at Cook's Pitt column. As someone with journalism bona fides, I would have killed it. It said nothing that wasn't completely obvious and wasn't the least bit insightful. Just a terrible piece. Not inaccurate but awful nonetheless. It'll be a contender in the Captain Obvious Journalism Contest.

I did something I don't normally do -- glanced at Cook's Pitt column. As someone with journalism bona fides, I would have killed it. It said nothing that wasn't completely obvious and wasn't the least bit insightful. Just a terrible piece. Not inaccurate but awful nonetheless. It'll be a contender in the Captain Obvious Journalism Contest.
the journalism in this town in general seems to be horrendous. Frankly, it may be like that everywhere now..

I’ve lived in a few different cities. I have visited many. Each city had one guy that was a complete jackass when it came to covering local sports. Pittsburgh is the one city has more than one. Cook, Madden, Benz, etc… It’s sickening….
Negativity gets clicks on stories and ears on the radio. Many radio announcers admit they’re delighted if a home team loses or if there’s some scandal. So yea, this certainly isn’t just a Cook/Pittsburgh thing.

Negativity gets clicks on stories and ears on the radio. Many radio announcers admit they’re delighted if a home team loses or if there’s some scandal. So yea, this certainly isn’t just a Cook/Pittsburgh thing.
I don't mind negativity if it's thoughtful and worth my time. But to write something that literally adds NOTHING? SMH.

[sigh]
He's right to bash these horrible football teams, they deserve it. Give me a few examples of something positive we can say about the games this past weekend?

Reactions: pittmeister
He's right to bash these horrible football teams, they deserve it. Give me a few examples of something positive we can say about the games this past weekend?
There is nothing positive.

Both Head Coaches are system coaches. Very little individual game planing ever takes place. We always play "our" game. They also do not enough to scout themselves, to remove predicability.

Houston and Vir.Tech both had significantly weaknesses. Nothing special was done to exploit them.

Both head coaches are reluctant to trust their QBs. Both made bad OC hires. We are not playing modern offensive football. Our QBs are playing in straight jackets.

Both coaches have extremely conservative mindsets. We have to win close or we will not win at all

Both will pull the plug on offense as soon as they think they have enough points to win. That is a dangerous way to operate.

Both count on the defense to close out close games, never the offense.

Both Head Coaches are dinosaurs.

Last edited:

[sigh]
Being serious here…his job is to write, what, 2 columns per week?. Right now the only 2 games in town are the Steelers and Pitt football. What should he be writing about? I like you, Moe, you’re one of the good guys here…but why does everyone care so much about Ron Cook? And if he had written about Penn St football instead, everyone would be crying about that.

if he’s slighting Pitt when the program is doing well, then we have a beef. When he’s voting for Jayson White, we have a beef. But we shouldn’t have a beef right now. What’s he supposed to do, write about how great things are?

What’s he supposed to do, write about how great things are?
No. It's easy pickens when teams suck. The problem is, they never write the stories that put their backsides on the line. Let's see who is the first one to have the guts to call out the Rooney's for keeping Tomlin around despite all of the years of failure.

When was the last decade that Cook wrote a column that wasn't completely obvious to anyone paying even a modicum of attention? Certainly not in this one, and I doubt it was in the last one either.

Being serious here…his job is to write, what, 2 columns per week?. Right now the only 2 games in town are the Steelers and Pitt football. What should he be writing about? I like you, Moe, you’re one of the good guys here…but why does everyone care so much about Ron Cook? And if he had written about Penn St football instead, everyone would be crying about that.

if he’s slighting Pitt when the program is doing well, then we have a beef. When he’s voting for Jayson White, we have a beef. But we shouldn’t have a beef right now. What’s he supposed to do, write about how great things are?
The original post was written after two games, and IIRC it was more of my frustration in having watched both Pgh teams $hit the bed. Now that we've doubled the number of games played, Cook certainly has the "right" to take whatever shots at whomever he chooses. I'd prefer that he leave most of the players out of his slashing comments and focus on the coaches and (with the Steelers) the front office.

Obviously, some players are totally underachieving on their own (as either upperclassmen @ Pitt or veteran players @ Steelers) and should be fair game.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The original post was written after two games, and IIRC it was more of my frustration in having watched both Pgh teams $hit the bed. Now that we've doubled the number of games played, Cook certainly has the "right" to take whatever shots at whomever he chooses. I'd prefer that he leave most of the players out of his slashing comments and focus on the coaches and (with the Steelers) the front office.

Obviously, some players are totally underachieving on their own (as either upperclassmen @ Pitt or veteran players @ Steelers) and should be fair game.
Heard him on his show today suggest that a sub .500 season this year could warrant a Tomlin firing. That’s the first time I’ve heard that from him.

Reactions: pittdan77
Heard him on his show today suggest that a sub .500 season this year could warrant a Tomlin firing. That’s the first time I’ve heard that from him.
Interesting.

FTR, I live in AZ so my Pittsburgh "news" comes primarily from the P-G (a fellow Pitt grad sends me a daily online copy) along with a few others I look at (Trib, PSN, et al). I can only imagine what the radio sports talk shows are spewing right now, but the Pittsburgh teams deserve it after the last four games they've played

[sigh]
thinking you meant to say "stiffest" as I'm guessing there is nothing big about it at all which probably has something to do with his miserable persona....

It's really hard to take Madden seriously. Especially about football but he's almost like the boy who cried wolf. He's critical just to get a rise out of people for his show.
Yeah looks like he’s randomly deciding to go after Pitt fans too. Yawn. Get all those likes and retweets from the PSU/WVU fans though (who he has also trashed).

Yeah looks like he’s randomly deciding to go after Pitt fans too. Yawn. Get all those likes and retweets from the PSU/WVU fans though (who he has also trashed).
Sometimes I can’t tell when he’s playing the heel, or completely misunderstands who we are as Pitt fans. He often rails on us for arrogance and other things…but we all know who we are as a program and where we are in the college football pecking order. His perception of us is completely wrong. If he could fit in one, I’d think that he was shoved into a locker by a Pitt fan as a child and has been suffering the trauma ever since.

I'm pretty sure Madden has done that.
When the respectable Rooney and Tomlin teat sucks like Pompeani or Dulac or the FAN sycophants say it, it will be meaningful.

Not that pig. He’s a disgusting clown.

Seriously for a relatively small city, Pgh is so oddly replete with incredibly vile media assholes. Zero entertainment value, even less expertise. This guy knows nothing, absolutely nothing, worthwhile about any sport. And only a mentally retarded person would find him entertaining.

Some fools will say they think he “knows about hockey”. He knows how to lick the innards of the Penguins stars. That’s the extent of his knowledge. Who couldn’t do that? Then he eats a porterhouse and farts. Great stuff.

But even HE knows more about sports than Ron Cook, who is so bereft of ANY redeeming quality that he should be set on fire this instant to save Satan the trouble.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It's really hard to take Madden seriously. Especially about football but he's almost like the boy who cried wolf. He's critical just to get a rise out of people for his show.
A lot of the stuff he says, for me it is the ripping of the dumbass Rooneys and their goofy little traditions, like never firing the HC or demanding 1975 run first offenses, you think he's trying to get a rise, but if he really thinks that stuff the way I have for years, it's not getting a rise, it just seems that way because nobody else says it. I often love the stuff that you categorize as "trying to get a rise" because often, I've been thinking that forever and have been frustrated because nobody else has the balls to just say it.

When the respectable Rooney and Tomlin teat sucks like Pompeani or Dulac or the FAN sycophants say it, it will be meaningful.
So you'll wait for the ball washers to stop washing balls, I've got news for you, those guys are basically on the Rooney payroll, they probably agree with Madden, but as the propaganda arm of Rooney Nation they know whose asses they need to kiss.

Sometimes I can’t tell when he’s playing the heel, or completely misunderstands who we are as Pitt fans. He often rails on us for arrogance and other things…but we all know who we are as a program and where we are in the college football pecking order. His perception of us is completely wrong. If he could fit in one, I’d think that he was shoved into a locker by a Pitt fan as a child and has been suffering the trauma ever since.
Right - he openly admits to not really liking or caring about college football too and says he liked Pitt when he was buddies with some of the coaches like Gattuso but hates Duzz.

Sometimes I think he just likes to put a blanket on fanbases based on responses he gets from people on Twitter. For the most part, rational Pitt fans don’t typically seem to engage with him.

For the most part, rational Pitt fans don’t typically seem to engage with him.
I know a person on the Pitt athletic committee who actually knows Madden and even hung out with him a few times, he said it was insane going to a strip club with Madden.

• Haha
Reactions: str61166
He's pissed at KP for turning down an interview so he'll ride that narrative into the ground.

Reactions: cbpitt2
A lot of the stuff he says, for me it is the ripping of the dumbass Rooneys and their goofy little traditions, like never firing the HC or demanding 1975 run first offenses, you think he's trying to get a rise, but if he really thinks that stuff the way I have for years, it's not getting a rise, it just seems that way because nobody else says it. I often love the stuff that you categorize as "trying to get a rise" because often, I've been thinking that forever and have been frustrated because nobody else has the balls to just say it.
Not saying he doesn't get it right sometimes but he really doesn't know much about football.

I know someone who deals with him all the time. Unsurprisingly, it's mostly an act.
I’ve met him in my younger years and the experiences were all good. And I know people who are cozier with him than I ever was. One person is the son of a former Pitt coach, and he says all the time that he admits it’s all an act.

Reactions: pittdan77
I know someone who deals with him all the time. Unsurprisingly, it's mostly an act.
I also worked with a guy who played street hockey with him back in the 80s, and he said he was okay, but could be an a-hole

Not saying he doesn't get it right sometimes but he really doesn't know much about football.
You don't have to be an expert to look at the Steelers and Pitt these days and compare them with other teams at their level to feel like they've been left behind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT