ADVERTISEMENT

Running list of transfers

No, it really hasn't always been this way. The paying recruits - yes. But the one-time free transfer rule has made this an entirely different ballgame.

Being good at identifying/developing recruits was always a mitigator. Now, it isn't. You do that and they leave anyway. It's a straight food chain.
I was referring to the pay for play. Yes with complete free agency the ability's to move is far easier. In the past the kid had to think about the cost of sitting out a year versus getting paid more.

And evaluating talent is still important. You just have to be able to project which is the better option, raiding a kid from a lower level school with some experience or a high school kid. This actually has screwed over lower rated kids coming out of HS because now they are competing against kids who are transferring for roster spots.

I dont think anyone is celebrating anyone leaving. And as far as 2024, ya never know. Its not like Jules is a high level DT that cant be found in the current free agent market. He may have been the best of the mediocre DL we had this year but hes not replaceable. Pitt does have Partridge so that is an attractive draw for players looking to develop and get on a bigger stage.

Again I think guys like Jules and Kamara think they are going to get a big payday on the open market. THey may be back if/when they find out their talents are mot worth as much as they think they are. Lots of kids end up going to back to the school after they find out the grass isnt any greener.

I don't know... Narduzzi talked Jules up as an NFL-potential guy who made huge strides last offseason. DT is a premium position in the portal, and 7.5 TFL is pretty good for a DT.

I definitely don't think he's a 3rd round pick or anything like that, and I would bet on him not getting drafted at all. But if Morgan was had for 100K, I see no reason why he couldn't get at least 150K. That's pretty ominous. Not just because he is our best returning DT, but also because of what it entails... If they can buy DeAndre freaking Jules away from us, imagine what'll happen when we develop the next Twyman or Kancey.

Reactions: 4upmc
The beauty of the transfer portal is that you can turn over a bad roster quickly. The ugly of the transfer portal is that you need a capable coach and money to get good replacement parts.
But players not good enough to start for a 3-9 team should move on. Many starters on a 3-9 team aren't good enough and should move on.
Many coaches on a 3-9 team aren't good enough and should move on.
I mean, pretty much nothing works in absolutes.

Yes, there is certainly dead weight that is best or no harm in moving on. Most of the losses so far fall into that category.

Jules hurts. He very clearly was their best DT last year. You want to keep him and add more like him if possible.

Now, they HAVE to add one at least as good as he had been just to break even.

Well, here's the thing with that:

2020 DL recruits

JoJo Belgrave - gone
Sam Williams - gone
Dayon Hayes

2021 DL recruits

Dorien Ford - moved to OL
Naquan Brown - gone
Nahki Johnson and Elliot Donald - these dudes could barely get on the field in year three, despite quite a bit of mediocrity ahead of them. If you go back and look at the difference makers in Pitt history, most are showing flashes by at least year two, let alone year three.

2022 DL recruits

Sam Okunlola
Jimmy Scott
Sean Fitzsimmons

Conclusion: There has been some gross negligence in our DT recruiting. A couple guys didn't pan out and a couple of classes were light in numbers because we were carrying three 2018 guys on the roster. So there isn't a natural staggering of the classes at DT.

At DE it's a little different story. Hayes might be our best defensive player, though he still hasn't consistently lived up to they hype. Okunlola should be fine/has a chance to be really good. Brima helps with some of the transition. Scott should progress. But DT? It's just not set up like that. We can't afford to lose a guy like Jules.
You're missing all of the freshmen:

Maverick Gracio
Antonio Camon
Zach Zollers
Isaiah Neal

Not really progressivism but just reality. The "average" fan donation is chump change to what's needed to fund NIL The reality is the guys driving the show at most of the schools are people with F you money who live vicariously through their college sportsball.

But hey if someone wants to donate to their favorite sportsball program so they can virtue signal and say they helped to fund Jim Bobs professional career more power to them.
Reality is progressivism in the case you described.

Or ... the young players are growing into their adult bodies and have learned the defense enough to show greater potential for next year than somebody who won't improve.
Nope. No way Dooz jettisons a multi year starter that he feels is his best LB for that reason. No way, no how, no chance.

Nope. No way Dooz jettisons a multi year starter that he feels is his best LB for that reason. No way, no how, no chance.
OK, I'm sure that you know that for a fact. I guess I'll just believe your speculation. :rolleyes:

You're missing all of the freshmen:

Maverick Gracio
Antonio Camon
Zach Zollers
Isaiah Neal

Depending on defensive linemen with zero experience to log heavy reps in their second year of college is a great idea if you want to be about as good as Vanderbilt. Especially when considering some of those guys are undersized and still in the process of adding weight.

Jaylen Twyman - started one game as a redshirt freshmen.

Calijah Kancey - started four games as a redshirt freshmen.

Those were All American-level players who weren't even thrown into the fire in year two. I'm sure one or two of the guys you mentioned will be ready to contribute this season, but you want to build an entire two-deep out of these guys, Fitzsimmons, and Donald? Pass on that. Good thing the staff realizes they need to bring two DTs in.

And who tf is Zach Zollers? Please tell me you didn't reference a 215-pound walk-on as being the solution to our DL woes.

Only Neal is a DT where they are woefully thin now

I think they might be moving Camon inside, or at least experimenting with it, but he is pretty undersized for such a move right now. Hell, for that matter, so is Neal (thought I must admit he looked bigger than his listed 260 when standing on the sidelines).

Reactions: imrealangry
I think they might be moving Camon inside, or at least experimenting with it, but he is pretty undersized for such a move right now. Hell, for that matter, so is Neal (thought I must admit he looked bigger than his listed 260 when standing on the sidelines).
Yup I think the one of the frosh coming in could compete as well (Wittington) but still thin Probably will need two transfers.

Yup I think the one of the frosh coming in could compete as well (Wittington) but still thin Probably will need two transfers.

I hate the idea of burning redshirts on linemen. I still think Jarrett and especially Soto could have been real nice pieces in 2017. But I must admit - now that guys are moving around in the portal so much, I'm kind of coming around to thinking you might as well just get anything you can out of them.

Depending on defensive linemen with zero experience to log heavy reps in their second year of college is a great idea if you want to be about as good as Vanderbilt. Especially when considering some of those guys are undersized and still in the process of adding weight.

Jaylen Twyman - started one game as a redshirt freshmen.

Calijah Kancey - started four games as a redshirt freshmen.

Those were All American-level players who weren't even thrown into the fire in year two. I'm sure one or two of the guys you mentioned will be ready to contribute this season, but you want to build an entire two-deep out of these guys, Fitzsimmons, and Donald? Pass on that. Good thing the staff realizes they need to bring two DTs in.

And who tf is Zach Zollers? Please tell me you didn't reference a 215-pound walk-on as being the solution to our DL woes.
I didn't reference ANYONE as a solution. Don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry if I missed this… Pitt will be looking for a new long snapper for 2024:

A genuine question: what benefit would a LS have in entering the portal if they’re already starting? I’d imagine that might be the most universal position in football, arguably even more than a placekicker or punter. Is there an NIL market for the position?

Sorry if I missed this… Pitt will be looking for a new long snapper for 2024:

A genuine question: what benefit would a LS have in entering the portal if they’re already starting? I’d imagine that might be the most universal position in football, arguably even more than a placekicker or punter. Is there an NIL market for the position?
Maybe he can get a scholarship elsewhere? AFAIK he's still a walk on.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT