ADVERTISEMENT

Running list of transfers

Unofficially, you tell them that they aren't getting playing time next year and to go find another team to play for
If NIL is going to exist, then schools and coaches should have no restrictions on how they can or when they can dump players off of scholarships. If they're perpetual free agents able to leave at any time for a higher bidder, then it should work the other way too, F the "kids"

Right. And your belief is Duzzi told his favorite senior starting LB and a starting DL to take a hike so younger unproven guys can play.

That’s funny stuff.
True but you can best believe if someone is asking for a $$ that doesn't match their worth, he'll be shown the door, especially if they can replace that production cheaper or with younger talent that doesn't quite have that value yet.

If NIL is going to exist, then schools and coaches should have no restrictions on how they can or when they can dump players off of scholarships. If they're perpetual free agents able to leave at any time for a higher bidder, then it should work the other way too, F the "kids"
So just like coaches have been acting for decades except they get paid when they get dumped by a school, lol

Me too. This NIL madness has ruined college sports and made it more than it is. Send the money to help cure cancer, or Alzheimers, or MS, or infant mortality. If you have that kind of money to send to a corrupt sports piggy bank for kids, you may have your priorities a bit misplaced.
In fairness, the charity game in America has become less about solving problems than making money. The whole American culture has misplaced priorities.

Reactions: imrealangry
The beauty of the transfer portal is that you can turn over a bad roster quickly. The ugly of the transfer portal is that you need a capable coach and money to get good replacement parts.
But players not good enough to start for a 3-9 team should move on. Many starters on a 3-9 team aren't good enough and should move on.
Many coaches on a 3-9 team aren't good enough and should move on.
Problem with this team was the offense. ND got 14 of its 38 points on turnovers and special teams.. can’t be on field the whole game

How do you not know Jules? He played quite a bit and was pretty good. I was hoping he would stay.

I go to the home games so I cant say I pay attention to the DL. Went to WVU, same thing. Watched very little of the Duke game. For the other road games, I didnt hear the announcers say his name once. Maybe I missed it. But I never heard of him.

Idk how to break it to you but Bangally Kamara isn’t a good linebacker and the underclassmen are better than him
Let me tell you how team sports work at the college and pro level--if they were better, they'd be playing in front of him.

I agree that Kamara has never lived up to the praise or hype that his head coach has heaped on him for 4 years. He's a frustrating player who flies around without discipline and purpose on the field,. But he's obviously still the best guy we have for his position.

The only potentially valid explanation for Dooz wanting him to leave is what Curtain suggested--maybe he wanted too much NIL money.

Clearing out a 4 year starter and coach's pet to make way for unproven younger players? You'd have be an idiot to actually believe that,

So just like coaches have been acting for decades except they get paid when they get dumped by a school, lol
I actually think that coaches should be forced by law to honor contracts and not be allowed to leave if there are years left on the contracts, Why do they let them out of contracts wthout punishing them somehow?

In fairness, the charity game in America has become less about solving problems than making money. The whole American culture has misplaced priorities.
I agree, I believe it would be better to encourage rich dudes like the Golden Panther types to just openly buy players than ask regular, average schmucks to give money to obnoxious high school jocks instead of real charity.

Let me tell you how team sports work at the college and pro level--if they were better, they'd be playing in front of him.

I agree that Kamara has never lived up to the praise or hype that his head coach has heaped on him for 4 years. He's a frustrating player who flies around without discipline and purpose on the field,. But he's obviously still the best guy we have for his position.

The only potentially valid explanation for Dooz wanting him to leave is what Curtain suggested--maybe he wanted too much NIL money.

Clearing out a 4 year starter and coach's pet to make way for unproven younger players? You'd have be an idiot to actually believe that,
Or ... the young players are growing into their adult bodies and have learned the defense enough to show greater potential for next year than somebody who won't improve.

I actually think that coaches should be forced by law to honor contracts and not be allowed to leave if there are years left on the contracts, Why do they let them out of contracts wthout punishing them somehow?
Most contracts have penalties that the destination school pays. They do often negotiate below the contract amount, though, likely because who wants to force a coach to stay after he has shown he wants out.

I agree, I believe it would be better to encourage rich dudes like the Golden Panther types to just openly buy players than ask regular, average schmucks to give money to obnoxious high school jocks instead of real charity.
Ah yes, progressivism. Let the rich pay for your entertainment.

This is super common at any serious football program. They're processing guys out. Like Chris has said, the scholarship numbers have to work for incoming guys. So you find guys that haven't found the field (Henningham), guys that didn't end up panning out, or guys that are going to be passed up for younger players for starting time (George, Kamara). It's why John Morgan left after last year, he got passed up on the depth chart by Dayon Hayes.
Basically you tell guys who aren't going to be getting major playing time that they should find opportunities elsewhere. They only have so much eligibilty and the team only has so many open spots.

Morgan basically demanded more guaranteed playing time. He was then told exactly where he stood. That was that. It wasn't that he got passed or that the staff didn't view him as a valuable piece; they just weren't going to guarantee him a certain amount of playing time when they didn't view him as being as that far ahead of some other guys. The irony, of course, is that he probably would have gotten a lot more playing time here than he did at Arkansas.

As for George and Kamara, fans always like to make themselves believe we are just clearing the way for younger talent. But then we'll go out and land a 5th or 6th year transfer anyway, which completely debunks that theory. There is no rule that says if you let those guys come back they have to receive X amount of playing time. Believe me - Pitt would welcome them back with open arms.

You guys who want to shuffle everyone out the door have some massive misconceptions about 1) Who we have on this roster who is ready to go and 2) What level of player we will be able to land in the portal.

Morgan basically demanded more guaranteed playing time. He was then told exactly where he stood. That was that. It wasn't that he got passed or that the staff didn't view him as a valuable piece; they just weren't going to guarantee him a certain amount of playing time when they didn't view him as being as that far ahead of some other guys. The irony, of course, is that he probably would have gotten a lot more playing time here than he did at Arkansas.

As for George and Kamara, fans always like to make themselves believe we are just clearing the way for younger talent. But then we'll go out and land a 5th or 6th year transfer anyway, which completely debunks that theory. There is no rule that says if you let those guys come back they have to receive X amount of playing time. Believe me - Pitt would welcome them back with open arms.

You guys who want to shuffle everyone out the door have some massive misconceptions about 1) Who we have on this roster who is ready to go and 2) What level of player we will be able to land in the portal.
You do know that we still need more to shuffle out the door just to keep our incoming class intact, right?

I don't really care, if the rich don't pay, they can go 0-12, because I'm not giving money to that.
That seems a complete reversal of your prior post, though.

I also am not giving money.

True but you can best believe if someone is asking for a $$ that doesn't match their worth, he'll be shown the door, especially if they can replace that production cheaper or with younger talent that doesn't quite have that value yet.

Yeah, if the guys are making ridiculous financial demands, you have to make a business decision. Only so much money to go around. But this notion that a guy like Kamara was being nudged out the door is beyond foolish.

There is plenty of dead weight to clear and have room the the incoming recruits, etc. without having to start pushing starters out the door.

You do know that we still need more to shuffle out the door just to keep our incoming class intact, right?

Are you familiar with the roster? I can name about 15 more guys who are never going to see the field here. There is plenty of room to make for the incoming players without having to push two-deep guys, particularly starters, out the door. That's idiotic.

Yeah, if the guys are making ridiculous financial demands, you have to make a business decision. Only so much money to go around. But this notion that a guy like Kamara was being nudged out the door is beyond foolish.

There is plenty of dead weight to clear and have room the the incoming recruits, etc. without having to start pushing starters out the door.
LOL.

Kamara has the football IQ of a stick of gum. You can't let him come back next season.
I'm to a point where there is just something rotten with this group of players. I might take assignment-based guys who play with fundamentals over guys like Kamara who look like Tarzan but have no idea how to play football.
This defense wins with linebackers who know their responsibilities more than athletic freaks like Kamara, who is out of position more than O'Neil Cruz.

• Haha
Are you familiar with the roster? I can name about 15 more guys who are never going to see the field here. There is plenty of room to make for the incoming players without having to push two-deep guys, particularly starters, out the door. That's idiotic.

Kamara wasn't pushed out the door but he's also a very average player. Can we get another average player in the portal? I dont know

Yep. Guys celebrating Jules leaving are going to have a rude awakening. The guys left on the roster couldn't even crack the top four DT spots. As bad as we were last season, 2024 is going to be a "hold my beer" situation.

Not if they are underclassmen who haven't graduated. Pitt made a commitment to them beyond football and I prefer that Narduzzi honors that commitment if the player doesn't want to leave.

Didn't know that about Morgan, but I'll say that I think young guys like Lovelace and Bass looked better than Kamara, instincts-wise. Kamara was just out of place far too often and taking very bad angles when going to tackle

Didn't know that about Morgan, but I'll say that I think young guys like Lovelace and Bass looked better than Kamara, instincts-wise. Kamara was just out of place far too often and taking very bad angles when going to tackle

I never liked Kamara, aside from thinking he was a pretty good blitzing LB for the most part. I'm not saying these guys have lived up to the hype or aren't flawed. I'm just coming around to the notion that if they were good enough to start this past season, the chances are we're not going to find someone better to replace them with given where the NIL market has gotten to.

I agree that I would rather see some young guys win the starting spots. But in the event that they don't (or even if they do, from a depth standpoint), it can't hurt to have guys the coaches deemed better than them a few months ago on the roster.

That seems a complete reversal of your prior post, though.

I also am not giving money.
Not really, I'm fine with rich people paying the obnoxious kids, for them, it's just fun, they can throw around money without being affected, if I hat a billion dollars, maybe I'd buy Pitt a QB, who knows, it's different when you have that much money.

Oh no doubt - I've talked plenty of smack on him, Nate Temple, etc. But at least those guys were good enough to get onto the field so I could talk smack on them. After seeing what's behind some of these guys (Nick Lappi, Nahki Johnson, Elliot Donald)... well.

Right, I think the decision is what is the delta between Kamara and/or Jules and what you currently have, or can get out of the portal. Then assigning price tags to each.

This is a f***ed up situation all college teams have to operate under now. It's like you need a salary cap guru who can work your NIL money. It's like salary cap fantasy football.

Or ... the young players are growing into their adult bodies and have learned the defense enough to show greater potential for next year than somebody who won't improve.

Well, here's the thing with that:

2020 DL recruits

JoJo Belgrave - gone
Sam Williams - gone
Dayon Hayes

2021 DL recruits

Dorien Ford - moved to OL
Naquan Brown - gone
Nahki Johnson and Elliot Donald - these dudes could barely get on the field in year three, despite quite a bit of mediocrity ahead of them. If you go back and look at the difference makers in Pitt history, most are showing flashes by at least year two, let alone year three.

2022 DL recruits

Sam Okunlola
Jimmy Scott
Sean Fitzsimmons

Conclusion: There has been some gross negligence in our DT recruiting. A couple guys didn't pan out and a couple of classes were light in numbers because we were carrying three 2018 guys on the roster. So there isn't a natural staggering of the classes at DT.

At DE it's a little different story. Hayes might be our best defensive player, though he still hasn't consistently lived up to they hype. Okunlola should be fine/has a chance to be really good. Brima helps with some of the transition. Scott should progress. But DT? It's just not set up like that. We can't afford to lose a guy like Jules.

Right, I think the decision is what is the delta between Kamara and/or Jules and what you currently have, or can get out of the portal. Then assigning price tags to each.

This is a f***ed up situation all college teams have to operate under now. It's like you need a salary cap guru who can work your NIL money. It's like salary cap fantasy football.

It's honestly why I would rather see two separate leagues. Theoretically, the Texas A&M's of the world could pay their 4th string more than we could pay our 1st string. If guys are just chasing dollars and not playing time, there are like 20 schools that could harbor just about all the talent in college football. Obviously that's an exaggerated example, but if guys like Morgan (probably our 4th best DE in 2022) are getting $100K... well, I'd just rather see us compete against teams more on our level.

Obviously there was always a competitive disadvantage, but if we're just going to serve as a farm system then the ceiling is a lot lower on a national level, despite the fact that we may still be able to hold our own in the ACC.

Honestly, how do teams even take satisfaction in just buying players off other schools. Players the other schools identified in recruiting, developed, etc. That's not competition.

Which is why Narduzzi and others are calling for these deals to be public so they know what they have to pay and also some are calling for a salary cap

Ah yes, progressivism. Let the rich pay for your entertainment.
Not really progressivism but just reality. The "average" fan donation is chump change to what's needed to fund NIL The reality is the guys driving the show at most of the schools are people with F you money who live vicariously through their college sportsball.

But hey if someone wants to donate to their favorite sportsball program so they can virtue signal and say they helped to fund Jim Bobs professional career more power to them.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
It's honestly why I would rather see two separate leagues. Theoretically, the Texas A&M's of the world could pay their 4th string more than we could pay our 1st string. If guys are just chasing dollars and not playing time, there are like 20 schools that could harbor just about all the talent in college football. Obviously that's an exaggerated example, but if guys like Morgan (probably our 4th best DE in 2022) are getting $100K... well, I'd just rather see us compete against teams more on our level.

Obviously there was always a competitive disadvantage, but if we're just going to serve as a farm system then the ceiling is a lot lower on a national level, despite the fact that we may still be able to hold our own in the ACC.
Truthfully its always been this way. Its just far more transparent now. And I agree, I think we may eventually see two levels of "college" sports. Semi pro and true collegiate sports.

Truthfully its always been this way. Its just far more transparent now. And I agree, I think we may eventually see two levels of "college" sports. Semi pro and true collegiate sports.

No, it really hasn't always been this way. The paying recruits - yes. But the one-time free transfer rule has made this an entirely different ballgame.

Being good at identifying/developing recruits was always a mitigator. Now, it isn't. You do that and they leave anyway. It's a straight food chain.

And transferring one time as an undergrad means you can really transfer two or three times if you take summer courses and graduate in three years. Even MLB has contracts and a draft to help balance things out somewhat.

Yep. Guys celebrating Jules leaving are going to have a rude awakening. The guys left on the roster couldn't even crack the top four DT spots. As bad as we were last season, 2024 is going to be a "hold my beer" situation.
I dont think anyone is celebrating anyone leaving. And as far as 2024, ya never know. Its not like Jules is a high level DT that cant be found in the current free agent market. He may have been the best of the mediocre DL we had this year but hes not replaceable. Pitt does have Partridge so that is an attractive draw for players looking to develop and get on a bigger stage.

Again I think guys like Jules and Kamara think they are going to get a big payday on the open market. THey may be back if/when they find out their talents are mot worth as much as they think they are. Lots of kids end up going to back to the school after they find out the grass isnt any greener.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT