ADVERTISEMENT

Salahuddin- Transfer Portal

pitt2533

Freshman
Nov 6, 2015
Apparently Salahuddin has entered the Transfer portal according to report on Twitter from Ed OBrien and multiple others.

Wonder if this is to go to show that either Davis or Sibley really improved or one the freshman stepped up big time while he was hurt.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Wonder if this is to go to show that either Davis or Sibley really improved or one the freshman stepped up big time while he was hurt.

Not sure the reason but it is not about Sibley improving (though everyone can always improve) as much as it is him being healthy.

It kind of seemed like he expected to come here and be the man from day one or something. Something always seemed amiss with him (in what little information we had available to make such an inference). If Davis has passed him up (and I realize Salahuddin has dealt with an injury), dare I say this might not be incredibly detrimental? Assuming we hang on to both recruits this year, you had to expect one or two of these young guys to transfer.

And who knows; maybe he won't end up leaving anyway.

It kind of seemed like he expected to come here and be the man from day one or something. Something always seemed amiss with him (in what little information we had available to make such an inference). If Davis has passed him up (and I realize Salahuddin has dealt with an injury), dare I say this might not be incredibly detrimental? Assuming we hang on to both recruits this year, you had to expect one or two of these young guys to transfer.

And who knows; maybe he won't end up leaving anyway.
Yes - One of the RB’s was bound to transfer. You aren’t going to keep that many TB’s on ‘ship.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
It kind of seemed like he expected to come here and be the man from day one or something.

Seems that way. I recall last year our RB Coach saying how Salahuddin was frustrated he was not playing and had to learn patience. I thought he was going to be a nice player for Pitt...but oh well on to the next.

PN said true frosh Davis passed him on the depth chart. Said Davis will probably play this week. We know Davis is small but that kid has serious quickness.

Reactions: freddietee511
Thought Whipple's system would be a good fit. Freshman fit better apparently.

It would have probably been a good fit but he was coming off knee surgery and the staff was being smart to bring him along slowly. But like many young kids he didn’t have the patience. Once he was fully healthy he most likely would’ve got his chance at some point.

Apparently Salahuddin has entered the Transfer portal according to report on Twitter from Ed OBrien and multiple others.

This stuff happens. Sibley and Davis are clearly ahead of him and it appears that that FR RB had passed him as well

Look at it as a positive. Likely thinks he's not going to play and that means the other guys are doing ok.

It's not like RB is a real difficult position to evaluate. Once you move up in competition from HS to college, you either still have it or you don't.

Maybe it helps us keep Parrish with less of a logjam.

Any top rated kid you pull in from the Maryland area while Locksely is around is going to be tough to keep. Unless the kid receives immediate playing time and is a star. Locksely basically invented negative recruiting in the DMV.

It just shows how deep and talented our RB situation is right now. Lose a 4 star, no worries we have another RB ready and Pitt will not miss a beat.

Any top rated kid you pull in from the Maryland area while Locksely is around is going to be tough to keep. Unless the kid receives immediate playing time and is a star. Locksely basically invented negative recruiting in the DMV.

That's what I thought of immediately as soon as I saw Salahuddin and transfer portal in the same sentence.

Carter is now on defensive unit and will split time in slot. Salahuddin goes into transfer portal. I’m thinking we are doing quite well at running back

Spin this one any way that makes you feel better but the bottom lime is this was by far the top prospect in Pitt’s 2018 class with offers from a slew of top programs including Clemson and UGA, and he was a promising young player based on what he flashed in his limited game reps last year. Now with 4 years of eligibility left he’s gone.

We may have some depth at RB, but There is no positive to this.

With the talent that came in this class and possible talent next year it’s obvious the running back position has high end talent and depth. If only the offensive line could be the same way then this offensive unit would be solid. The two tackles that could possibly commit this year are huge for this unit

Reactions: FieldHouse12
Spin this one any way that makes you feel better but the bottom lime is this was by far the top prospect in Pitt’s 2018 class with offers from a slew of top programs including Clemson and UGA, and he was a promising young player based on what he flashed in his limited game reps last year. Now with 4 years of eligibility left he’s gone.

Max Browne, Ricky Town, Pat Bostick, Kevin Collier, and countless others fit this same description. Just because a guy has 4 or 5 Stars next to his name doesn’t mean anything unless they can perform in college.

Last edited:

And he was passed on the depth chart by an incoming freshman who had far less offers. At this point, his ranking and offer don't mean jack.

The positive in this is that this RB was a clone of the other older RBs - guys who run hard with some speed, but little elusiveness. Now with the younger guys that mold is changing to quicker backs with some shiftiness...
You need both types of runners and now we have a couple of each.

Go Pitt.

Yeah, once you are a year in the stars from your senior year in high school don’t matter. Hall & Ollison were patient and this kid does not seem to be patient. I wish him well.

We'll see come Saturday and weeks beyond. If at least one of the multiple backs who apparently impressed more than him... and that number is apparently at least 3 backs... emerge as dynamic game changer backs, then quite frankly, his freed up scholarship becomes more of an asset to us than a disgruntled fourth stringer languishing and pouting on the bench. The departure will have been a good thing for both him and us.

But, if the guys ahead of him are plodding jabronies in the games, not doing much, and we struggle. ..then the questioning of how this high end recruit was handled becomes fair game. For both fans/customers and opposing negative- recruiting coaches alike. It's how the business works.

Don't get me wrong, if the guys ahead of him end up stinking, it doesn't magically mean he would have been better. Probably the opposite. It doesn't take away personal responsibility of the player to show himself worthy of the top spot during practices and camp. Coaches don't play favorites with unworthy players (well other than with Briggs, and now Pickett, maybe :D). We should be careful to automatically indict the coaches if the two Davis, Sibley, and possibly others don't look like Shady or Conner out there. It's likely this guy might have looked even worse.

But if the guys who got the nod don't produce, yeah, no positives at all. On the field or on the recruiting trail. It's a tough biz, man.

Max Browne, Ricky Town, Pat Bostick, Kevin Collier, and countless others fit this same description. Just because a guy has 4 or 5 Stars next to his name doesn’t mean anything unless they can perform in college.
News flash-he’s a RS freshman who looked promising with his handful of game reps last year. . Then he got hurt. He has a boatload of football left in him. The guys you mentioned were the finished product with 4 years of football before they came to Pitt as castoffs.

Do you not recognize the difference?

Last edited:
The positive in this is that this RB was a clone of the other older RBs - guys who run hard with some speed, but little elusiveness. Now with the younger guys that mold is changing to quicker backs with some shiftiness...
You need both types of runners and now we have a couple of each.

Go Pitt.
Don’t pretend for one second that you have any idea what kind of a back this guy is. Nobody on this board does including me. None of us have no idea if he’s stylistically similar to Davis or Sibley. But to take the knee jerk slappy track that he must not have been good enough because he left is dishonest.

All of that and he couldn't crack the 3 deep. So yes, that's a positive

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
News flash-he’s a RS freshman who looked promising with his handful of game reps last year. . Then he got hurt. He has a boatload of football left in him. The guys you mentioned were the finished product with 4 years of football before they came to Pitt as castoffs.

Do you not recognize the difference?
He had a grand total of 37 yards from scrimmage last year, and wasn’t on the depth chart. Let’s be serious.

Don’t pretend for one second that you have any idea what kind of a back this guy is. Nobody on this board does including me. None of us have no idea if he’s stylistically similar to Davis or Sibley. But to take the knee jerk slappy track that he must not have been good enough because he left is dishonest.

You're right, none of us know what kind of back he is. But they guys who coached him in 2 fall camps, an entire season and a spring practice period, decided he wasn't top 3. Was he 4th, 5th, 6th... we don't know.

To assume he's a loss because he was a 4 star coming out of high school is equally dishonest. When this happens with this type of player, it's usually not a negative. Pugh, Flowers, Chris James, Mark Myers, and Rippy were all highly recruited guys who transfered early in their careers and did nothing. Adonis Jennings was ok and Shell was ok. How far back do we need to go to find the exception to the norm?

You're right, none of us know what kind of back he is. But they guys who coached him in 2 fall camps, an entire season and a spring practice period, decided he wasn't top 3. Was he 4th, 5th, 6th... we don't know.

To assume he's a loss because he was a 4 star coming out of high school is equally dishonest. When this happens with this type of player, it's usually not a negative. Pugh, Flowers, Chris James, Mark Myers, and Rippy were all highly recruited guys who transfered early in their careers and did nothing. Adonis Jennings was ok and Shell was ok. How far back do we need to go to find the exception to the norm?
Maybe as far back as Nate Peterman?

Why are you assuming Salahuddin didn’t cut it at Pitt? Where are you getting that he was passed over on the depth chart when the only depth chart anyone has seen is the 2 deep? He basically missed a year of football due to a knee injury that he’s still coming back from, as his own head coach pointed out in a press conference.

Maybe he is a bust-maybe he isn’t. Maybe he’s pissed because he was told he’d be in the mix this year but he isn’t because he isn’t 100%. He could have had a blowup with the coaches and bailed. Maybe he wasn’t working hard enough to get healthy and the coaches called him out. Maybe he has all the talent but has a ten cent head and an attitude problem. Maybe he just isn’t good enough and was an overrated prospect. Of course, if that’s the case, he fooled our coaches and coaches from most of the top 20 programs in the country.

You have no idea, neither do I. The difference is you and your ilk immediately spin this as “he couldn’t cut it and he was passed over” without any factual basis. Who passed him over? Show me the depth chart or coach’s statement that backs that up.

The fact that he was the top recruiting prospect in the ‘18 class doesn’t mean he was going to be a stud or even a starter.. Do you honestly think from anything in my posting history that I don’t kmow that? But the fact that the top prospect in the 2018 Pitt class left with 4 full years of football to play is bad news, for a number of fairly obvious and undeniable reasons.

Peterman was a grad transfer who was at UT for 3 years. Not similar.

I simply stated he was buried on the depth chart and that it's not all that hard to evaluate RBs at the same level competition. Listen to the coach and who he says is likely to play. You may be the only Pitt fan who doesn't know that Davis passed him.

Who are my "ilk"? The people who aren't going to sweat a kid who didn't want to be here after one year? Yeah, you got me.

Maybe I should adopt a chicken little routine....

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT