ADVERTISEMENT

Sanogo Update

Yeah, those guys are grinders. Is Pearl dirty? Of course he is. Same for Antigua, but you don’t get a kid just by dropping a bucket of cash at the door. Most of the guys you mentioned just flat out live to recruit on top of whatever outside benefit that they may enjoy.

Penny is going to be an interesting case. I think they’re roughly in the same boat as us as far as not a player for Sanogo, but the smoke around them pushing for Jeffress, combined with them probably missing on most of their top targets, will be a bit scary. I like Penny and think he got a bum deal this year with Wiseman, but there are definitely cracks showing down there.
Its amazing how we will rationalize every loss of a kid to they paid and we didn’t. We have a bagman as head coach this should never be an issue.

I saw enough of Drumgoole to think he won't play much. His footwork on D was poor, and his ball handling, passing and rebounding weren't good either. I'm sure he is a better shooter than what we saw from him in his limited minutes, but even if he were to find his stroke next year, he simply appears to lack the athleticism to get minutes going forward.

I basically agree. However as long as we have X, Horton, Odukale, and
hopefully a grad transfer combo type guard, we'll be fine in the backcourt.
Drumgoole can be a fifth option if his outside shooting re appears. He
could sub as a wing or occasionally as another option at off guard.
Personally I think Capel will bring in a grad transfer guard.

I basically agree. However as long as we have X, Horton, Odukale, and
hopefully a grad transfer combo type guard, we'll be fine in the backcourt.
Drumgoole can be a fifth option if his outside shooting re appears. He
could sub as a wing or occasionally as another option at off guard.
Personally I think Capel will bring in a grad transfer guard.
If Drumgoole goes from starting game 1 his freshmen year to behind 3 players we’ve never seen play in a game he might as well transfer now.

You have to also factor in how these players are treated. There are some schools that have alums and students that fall all over them. Then you have schools like Pitt who have fans and alums that need to “keep it real”.

You have to also factor in how these players are treated. There are some schools that have alums and students that fall all over them. Then you have schools like Pitt who have fans and alums that need to “keep it real”.
I’m just waiting for the inevitable Stanford paid William Jeffress!!! If we somehow lose the kid

If Drumgoole goes from starting game 1 his freshmen year to behind 3 players we’ve never seen play in a game he might as well transfer now.
Doesn't the coach have a sit-down with each player after the season to assess where they are, etc.? If JC felt Drumgoole wasn't a worthy piece going forward, and he was unlikely to see the floor, I'm sure he'd be in the portal by now.

Doesn't the coach have a sit-down with each player after the season to assess where they are, etc.? If JC felt Drumgoole wasn't a worthy piece going forward, and he was unlikely to see the floor, I'm sure he'd be in the portal by now.
Well that’s kind of my point. Everyone is writing the dude off, meanwhile coach started him game 1 and he’s coming back for year 2. But typical Pittsburgh is agreeing the guys we’ve never seen play are automatically better

Add in Toney too

Especially if we can ink Jeffress. If he's as ready to play as we might hope, I'd think Capel might be interested in opportunities to get him, Justin and Toney on the court together at the same time.

I think there is a thought to get Coulibay a few minutes at the four as well.

Well that’s kind of my point. Everyone is writing the dude off, meanwhile coach started him game 1 and he’s coming back for year 2. But typical Pittsburgh is agreeing the guys we’ve never seen play are automatically better

Or, the corollary-- Pitt fans writing off guys forever based on extremely limited play as freshman because they didn't play in that limited window like they were ready for prime time. Thus, they conclude that these guys will never be good enough to contribute.

Or, the corollary-- Pitt fans writing off guys forever based on extremely limited play as freshman because they didn't play in that limited window like they were ready for prime time. Thus, they conclude that these guys will never be good enough to contribute.
What I always tell thse types is, did you see Brandin Knight as a freshman? How bout Gary McGhee? Our program under Howland and Dixon thrived on players who weren't great coming in but improved with time.

Yep. And nobody knows if that will happen until next season. Just as likely GD takes a big step forward, as it is Femi is ready for big minutes as our 3rd guard IMO. Hopefully it's both.

Those meetings did not all happen - as for instance Toney just had his via Facetime with his family.

Reactions: dkhull

And it never ends. Humans as a civilization struggle to learn from the past. Yet another small example of that IMO.

I don't know if GD is going to make it here, but from past experience, i believe it's 50/50 he provides good minutes as a reserve next season.

And our lineup last year was:
PG: X / Trey / onyez (can’t spell it)
SG: Trey / Murphy / Drumgoole
So idk why anyone would think that Drumgoole would be the primary backup at SG this season. Femi can and will play both spots next year

Toney will play the two more than Femi. Justin will play the 3 more. Hughley will play the 4.

A lot of guys played out of position when Trey was at the 2. We were extremely undersized.

Femi shot the ball well, but he'll be a lesser version of Trey when he gets here. He has a ton of potential but he won't be a stud from day 1.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I have never, ever written off a freshman no matter the sport. That said, Drumgoole came close to being the first. He was that bad.

The NCAA would give the program the death penalty for the impermissible benefit....of not dying.
So just telling a brilliant kid who happens to be a great basketball player and whose family are doctors that the school who is recruiting him developed a vaccine for the coronavirus and if he values education and playing big time basketball equates the death penalty? What am I missing?

I have never, ever written off a freshman no matter the sport. That said, Drumgoole came close to being the first. He was that bad.

Obviously Capel saw something (at least very early on) since he reportedly played very well in the Maryland exhibition and showed enough in practice that he played 22 minutes vs Slippery Rock (exhibition) and 19 vs Florida State in game #1.

Last edited:
He was probably no worse than Lamar Patterson as a true freshman or anyone else that redshirted under Dixon. Relax

Drumgoole shot .533/.286/.125 (1s/2s/3s)from the field. Patterson was far better than that. His assist rate also dwarfed Drumgoole's.

He was a lot worse than Patterson as a freshman, and Patterson wasn't very good as a freshman. Let's just hope he improves as much as Patterson did.

Drumgoole shot .533/.286/.125 (1s/2s/3s)from the field. Patterson was far better than that. His assist rate also dwarfed Drumgoole's.

He was a lot worse than Patterson as a freshman, and Patterson wasn't very good as a freshman. Let's just hope he improves as much as Patterson did.

I remember thinking Patterson was going to be a good player. Duquesne took us to OT that year. I think they were up big and we came back and Patterson had a big game. I think he was even in there at the end. That was before he redshirted due to "injury."

He was probably no worse than Lamar Patterson as a true freshman or anyone else that redshirted under Dixon. Relax
Nah-
Lamar had a better feel for the game as a true frosh , and that old man crafty type of game even as a frosh .
He improved no doubt - but he didn’t look out of place

Gerald looked more comfortable on defense than offense - which is a good starting point .
Making more buckets will help his confidence and the fans unease

3 Big Ten
2 ACC
2 Big East
1 SEC
1 American Athletic
1 Big 12

I miss the days of regional recruiting battles. These kids nowadays will go ANYWHERE.
Well, let's face it, one reason is the abundance of African native born that came over to North America. So they already made a large distance move.

Nah-
Lamar had a better feel for the game as a true frosh , and that old man crafty type of game even as a frosh .
He improved no doubt - but he didn’t look out of place

Gerald looked more comfortable on defense than offense - which is a good starting point .
Making more buckets will help his confidence and the fans unease
Lamar was redshirted. How did anyone know? We’re you at practice?

Reactions: Wednesday Morning
If I remember correctly Lamar was a highly rated hs player his junior yr until an injury occurred and then his rankings suffered . Lamar had something and you could see it , last season DG showed he’s got a long way to go before being compared to LP .

IMO Drumgoole should look to lose a few lbs and that should add a little quickness and I hope he gets his shot back and I think he can become a very productive player.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Well, let's face it, one reason is the abundance of African native born that came over to North America. So they already made a large distance move.

Yea but I just really miss the old recruiting days when it was mostly regional except for the top players. Nowadays, you have Top 200 kids trying to decide between UConn Nebraska, and Oregon.....schools and locations that couldn't possibly be any more different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT