ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule Reveal and Model Tonight

Louisville and Georgia Tech with no protected match ups. BC and Syracuse also have each other as a protected match up in addition to Pitt. Kind of wish they went with no protected match ups for Pitt, Syracuse, and B.C. I actually kind of think all three of those fan bases would prefer greater variety in the schedule to having those match ups every year.

Reactions: FireballZ
Maybe Pitt will travel to Cal and play in Pitt Statdium once again!
Unfortunately, we won’t get that opportunity until 2028.. hopefully the conference remains intact by then because that might be a “bucket list item” type of road trip.

Louisville and Georgia Tech with no protected match ups. BC and Syracuse also have each other as a protected match up in addition to Pitt. Kind of wish they went with no protected match ups for Pitt, Syracuse, and B.C. I actually kind of think all three of those fan bases would prefer greater variety in the schedule to having those match ups every year.
On paper it should be two easy conference wins each year as long as Pitt holds its end of the deal.

Here's the number of times played for each team:
7 - Boston College
7 - Syracuse
5 - Louisville
4 - NC State
4 - Virginia Tech
3 - Cal
3 - Clemson
3 - Florida State
3 - Georgia Tech
3 - Miami
3 - SMU
3 - Stanford
2 - Duke
2- UNC
2 - Virginia
2 - Wake Forest

A few highlights at home.

2024 - Cal travels to Pitt for the first time and Clemson as well. Sets up for a nice home schedule with WVU.

2026 - Florida State is back in Pittsburgh.

2027 - Cal again along with SMU's first trip to Pittsburgh.

2029 - Stanford finally makes its first trip to Pitt. Clemson back again.

Reactions: Dan1911
While browsing the SMU board, I found it interesting that they have a strong affinity for Pitt and our upcoming series because we played them in the 82 Cotton Bowl. I believe that was the peak of their success, so it makes sense. One of them even floated the idea of us playing in the Cotton Bowl stadium.

Needless to say, I’d expect them to make a big deal out of our game with them next season. Should be a fun environment for those who attend.

Reactions: Dan1911 and 303vND
Pitt catches a theoretical massive break with those protected games.

They do but I dont like protected games vs non-rivals. Syracuse isnt a rival, I dont care.

So we play 6 of the other 14 teams every year. So 6 1 year, 6 the next year, then the other 2 the next year. Not enough variety but this will all change soon enough when FSU, Clem, UNC and others leave.

2024 - 2030. I bet the FSU brass are laughing their asses off over that

Yea, they're gone. They are going to leave without any TV revenue and then go to court to try to win back their rights. And if they dont, oh well, they'll have to round up the donors like SMU and maybe cut a few sports until 2036.

On paper it should be two easy conference wins each year as long as Pitt holds its end of the deal.

Here's the number of times played for each team:
7 - Boston College
7 - Syracuse
5 - Louisville
4 - NC State
4 - Virginia Tech
3 - Cal
3 - Clemson
3 - Florida State
3 - Georgia Tech
3 - Miami
3 - SMU
3 - Stanford
2 - Duke
2- UNC
2 - Virginia
2 - Wake Forest

A few highlights at home.

2024 - Cal travels to Pitt for the first time and Clemson as well. Sets up for a nice home schedule with WVU.

2026 - Florida State is back in Pittsburgh.

2027 - Cal again along with SMU's first trip to Pittsburgh.

2029 - Stanford finally makes its first trip to Pitt. Clemson back again.
Actually Cal came to Pitt long ago in 1955. Hate to show my age but was the first Pitt game I ever attended as a kid. Been going ever since.

I love the protected matchups. Both are usually winnable games and preserve old BE rivalries. I'd also like VT. Miami is a guaranteed loss 9/10 times, so glad it's not a keeper.

I hope the “model” is a really hot chick because I can’t imagine the “schedule” part is worth the attention

I love the protected matchups. Both are usually winnable games and preserve old BE rivalries. I'd also like VT. Miami is a guaranteed loss 9/10 times, so glad it's not a keeper.
VT is the one I would have wanted amongst current ACC teams. Pitt handed them their first loss of the season a couple of times when they were highly ranked during the Beamer era; so I think they are the one teams in the ACC where the series has been around long enough, and the series has been even enough that there is a little bad blood in both directions.

In the absence of either of our natural rivals being in the conference, VT personally moves the needle for me more than Syracuse or Boston College. Syracuse probably should be a bigger rival since we've played them for so many consecutive years; but it seems like for much of the history of the series when they are good Pitt is bad, and when Pitt is good they are bad, so the outcome of the games have been relatively expected. BC has had their fair share of success against Pitt; but for reasons I don't understand none of it has registered as infuriating to me the way losses to some other teams do(Maybe because a lot of BC's victories came in years where Pitt also inexplicitly would lose to a bad Temple or Rutgers team).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT