ADVERTISEMENT

Season Ticket Prices

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
I finally got around to paying my season ticket renewal last night. Interesting that the season ticket package costs the exact same this year as last year...even though we only have 6 home games this year vs. 7 last year. Obviously it didn't stop me from buying, but I was sort of expecting the cost to be less this year when you are getting less games. Maybe we'll get a coupon for some free nachos or something.

You will get a magnet or sticker. But I don't blame them... charge the same for fewer games.

You will get a magnet or sticker. But I don't blame them... charge the same for fewer games.
Gonna be a tough year in sales as WVU fans bought many 2nd level season packages and many off and on Pitt buyers were buyers LY to guarantee tickets for WVU and Tenn, and this year many will pass as all games will have plenty available. Pitt needs to max monies from base and could not afford to lower.

Comparing (in terms of demand)

2023 vs 2022

FSU vs WVU
UNC vs Ten
Cincy vs VT
Lou vs GT
Wof vs Syr
BC (Thu) vs URI
Nothing vs Duke

Gonna be a tough year in sales as WVU fans bought many 2nd level season packages and many off and on Pitt buyers were buyers LY to guarantee tickets for WVU and Tenn, and this year many will pass as all games will have plenty available. Pitt needs to max monies from base and could not afford to lower.

Not much Pitt can do playing in an over sized stadium. They can pretend that it's not an issue, but it clearly is.

I would NOT include the WVU game in the season ticket package. Then I'd sell the WVU game separately, giving Pitt season ticket holders from the upcoming season AND the past seasons first dibs. Then upcoming season ticket holders who did not have season tickets the previous season the next chance. Then I'd open up the sales to everyone. That way, WVU fans can still get tickets, but they won't have season tickets leading to a bunch of ugly yellow seats for the rest of the season.

Does anyone know when the renewal/release deadline is, I would like to get some but not much to choose from right now.

Does anyone know when the renewal/release deadline is, I would like to get some but not much to choose from right now.

Per the email:

Coming off an exciting victory in the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl, we are already anticipating the 2023 Pitt football season. The deadline to renew your season tickets is Wednesday, March 1st. Please note, if we have not received at least partial payment by the renewal deadline, you are at risk for forfeiting your current seats.

Reactions: Parkview57
Not much Pitt can do playing in an over sized stadium. They can pretend that it's not an issue, but it clearly is.

I would NOT include the WVU game in the season ticket package. Then I'd sell the WVU game separately, giving Pitt season ticket holders from the upcoming season AND the past seasons first dibs. Then upcoming season ticket holders who did not have season tickets the previous season the next chance. Then I'd open up the sales to everyone. That way, WVU fans can still get tickets, but they won't have season tickets leading to a bunch of ugly yellow seats for the rest of the season.

I think you still include it in the season ticket package but I wouldn't sell individual tickets to non-alums/non-PA residents. If you are a non-alum but huge Pitt fan who lives in Ohio or WV or NJ, then tough. If we don't sell out, so what.

I finally got around to paying my season ticket renewal last night. Interesting that the season ticket package costs the exact same this year as last year...even though we only have 6 home games this year vs. 7 last year. Obviously it didn't stop me from buying, but I was sort of expecting the cost to be less this year when you are getting less games. Maybe we'll get a coupon for some free nachos or something.
if one did not know any better one would think we are living in a time of significant inflation...

Turing down all that money when there would be the exact same number of ugly yellow seats in the building anyway would seem to be a foolish financial decision.

And I mean really, really foolish.

If some Hoopies want to give you $260 so they can come to one game you take their money, all day every day.

Turing down all that money when there would be the exact same number of ugly yellow seats in the building anyway would seem to be a foolish financial decision.

If some Hoopies want to give you $260 so they can come to one game you take their money, all day every day.

Yea, I dont mind the football pricing really. We fill the lower bowl. That's a diehard core who will pay anything. Need to be more creative if you intend to attempt to sell 70K seats. Some of those uppers need some type of creative plan. All you can eat, all you can drink, all you can tweet, whatever, something.

Basketball is where they need a massive pricing change. Pitt should be returning a decent team next year. They need to sell 100% of the lowers and a good portion of uppers. Although the team has gotten good, its not Glory Days good and the typical Yinzer isnt paying top dollar for a bubble program. They didnt during Dixon 2 and they wont for Capel 2.

I think you still include it in the season ticket package but I wouldn't sell individual tickets to non-alums/non-PA residents. If you are a non-alum but huge Pitt fan who lives in Ohio or WV or NJ, then tough. If we don't sell out, so what.

The athletic department isn't naive enough to be whisked away in this conspiracy. If more Pitt fans want to go to games, they can. The lower bowl was pretty full for Tennessee (thanks in large part to UT fans). There are plenty of cheap secondhand tickets every week that go unsold.

The idea that WVU fans are buying season tickets, going to one game, and then eating them the rest of the season to stick it to Pitt is cute but not accurate at all. At least not to the point of any material difference.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
The athletic department isn't naive enough to be whisked away in this conspiracy. If more Pitt fans want to go to games, they can. The lower bowl was pretty full for Tennessee (thanks in large part to UT fans). There are plenty of cheap secondhand tickets every week that go unsold.

The idea that WVU fans are buying season tickets, going to one game, and then eating them the rest of the season to stick it to Pitt is cute but not accurate at all. At least not to the point of any material difference.

I disagree. I think that thousands of WVU fans do this. It's not usually noticeable because the other games aren't going to be close to sell outs. The risk if there is a big home games at season's end, say Pitt vs NC or Pitt vs. Duke or whatever, for a spot in the ACC Championship game, then those season seats WVU fans bought will be empty.

Doesn't matter this year as WVU is away.

I disagree. I think that thousands of WVU fans do this. It's not usually noticeable because the other games aren't going to be close to sell outs. The risk if there is a big home games at season's end, say Pitt vs NC or Pitt vs. Duke or whatever, for a spot in the ACC Championship game, then those season seats WVU fans bought will be empty.

Have West Virginia fans never heard of StubHub and other, similar services?

Reactions: bwh05

There were probably 45k at a game against Virginia that was exactly that. And Penn State, ND, and WVU weren't on the schedule that year.

I don't disagree, but if they wanted to maximize people in seats then they would sell them differently.

Maybe set up some sort of Pitt and WVU ticket partnership to make it easier for fans to donate unused season tickets to kids groups at the click of button. If you are a WVU fans buying Pitt season tickets, then you can 'give back' those tickets, with some even going to giving kids in West Virginia WVU tickets.

You sell season tickets to whomever wants to buy them. The athletic department goal is to sell 100% of the season tickets. Pitt season ticket holders get first shot to renew, then it's open to whomever.

You sell season tickets to whomever wants to buy them. The athletic department goal is to sell 100% of the season tickets. Pitt season ticket holders get first shot to renew, then it's open to whomever.

That's exactly it. Foregoing revenue in hopes that this fanbase would somehow magically change its stripes would be a laughable business decision.

If anything, my only idea would be to price them higher. Maybe then at least the Pitt fans who buy them will show up (and since its such a diehard market anyway, the number of people who buy them shouldn't decline too much). As of now, they're cheap enough that people don't really care if they miss a game or two... or four, because it was a relatively small investment to begin with.

I meant I wouldn't sell single game tickets to Pitt/WVU to non-PA residents from outside PA.

I don't disagree, but if they wanted to maximize people in seats then they would sell them differently.

I agree, if the goal was to maximize people in the seats they would sell tickets differently.

But what they have determined, with a lot of year's of information to back it up, is that they could probably cut the price of tickets in half, and maybe sell an extra 500 or 1,000 per game. Which, money-wise, would be a disaster.

For the most part it is not price that is keeping Pitt football attendance down.

Pitt has done in this exact same thing in the past. I think that they feel most people won't notice but some will and it does leave a bad taste in their mouths. I can almost guarantee you that in 2024 the price of those same season tickets will increase and if you contact the ticket office they will tell you that the increase is because there is a 7th home versus the 6 this year.

Whoa, two faced terry, two months ago you told us if Pitt wins they will come......

What? For years I have said that they will never sell the Pete out consistently unless they are Top 5/10 every year. Too big. There's no chance I said that. Yinzers aint coming out for a Bubble Program. Its a pro sports town. They dont appreciate having an NCAAT team. They dont even appreciate having a Sweet 16 team. The pro fans mentality is you have to be competing for the National Championship.

I agree, if the goal was to maximize people in the seats they would sell tickets differently.

But what they have determined, with a lot of year's of information to back it up, is that they could probably cut the price of tickets in half, and maybe sell an extra 500 or 1,000 per game. Which, money-wise, would be a disaster.

For the most part it is not price that is keeping Pitt football attendance down.

I'd like to see them offer maybe the worst 10K tickets in the house like ridiculously cheap. Yea, you'd have some people who would move from good lowers to bad uppers for price but how many would? It would be interesting to see if that would work.

Pitt has done in this exact same thing in the past. I think that they feel most people won't notice but some will and it does leave a bad taste in their mouths. I can almost guarantee you that in 2024 the price of those same season tickets will increase and if you contact the ticket office they will tell you that the increase is because there is a 7th home versus the 6 this year.

It only leaves a bad taste in the mouths of people who think that the price of tickets should be different than the price of everything else and shouldn't go up.

I'd like to see them offer maybe the worst 10K tickets in the house like ridiculously cheap. Yea, you'd have some people who would move from good lowers to bad uppers for price but how many would? It would be interesting to see if that would work.

But how many people are buying those tickets even if they are $10 each? Unfortunately, the answer is not many.

Pitt's attendance is not what it is because tickets cost too much.

The renewal deadline is March 1, but the only risk of missing that date is you may not get your same exact seats backs. I like my seats so I beat the deadline. But after March 1, you will probably still be able to get similar, or even better, seats. As for not much to choose from, if you really are buying, call the ticket office, they will get you nice seats in your price range. The availability show online is not accurate, there are pockets of seats available in better sections than is shown online.

Reactions: Parkview57
As for home schedule, it's kind of weak, but we lucked out with Florida State being a playoff contender according to many, or at least an ACC champion contender. That game has the potential for a big crowd depending on how Pitt and FSU do prior. But not enough to drive season ticket sales, just single game sales. I am personally interested to see us go against Drake Maye, but I just don't think UNC moves the needle for causal fans.

When’s this parking mumbo jumbo start? Anyone have cliffs notes?

But how many people are buying those tickets even if they are $10 each? Unfortunately, the answer is not many.

Pitt's attendance is not what it is because tickets cost too much.

Probably not many. But could it hurt to try? They arent going to sell them anyway. How bout take FSU out of it (which could potentially be a big crowd) and sell a 5 game package for $50. Worst 10K seats. Upper corners, upper endzone, nosebleeds, etc. Market the heck out of it. Shoot, I get tickets from Memphis almost everyday on great promo offers and I have no idea how they got my information. I'm sure Pitt can target almost every sports-ticket buying household in WPA

Yep, that was a nice surprise. The flag is medium sized and has the script with football underneath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT