ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT, what dorms did you live in at Pitt?

Cmart2004

Redshirt
Oct 28, 2018
I was there from 1998-2002.

Freshman year (1998) - Litchfield Tower B, 4th floor, room 406 I think?

Sophomore year (1999) - Forbes Hall, second floor, room 201.

Junior year (2000) - Bouquet Gardens. Don’t remember the exact number but they were brand new. Lived in a 4 person suite with 3 of my buddies, second semester was with 1 random guy while two roomies went on Semester at Sea..

Senior year (2001) - Lived privately off campus in an apartment complex called Bates Hill Apartments.

After graduation (2002-2003) - stuck around Pittsburgh and lived privately and shared a house on Atwood St. with 2 roomies before coming to the conclusion that Pittsburgh wasn’t my future. I remember paying less than $200 a month to live in that place while working at UPMC, lol.

Needless to say, those were some of the best years of my life!

Please, share your experiences.

Reactions: USN_Panther

Junior year (2000) - Bouquet Gardens. Don’t remember the exact number but they were brand new. Lived in a 4 person suite with 3 of my buddies, second semester was with 1 random guy while two roomies went on Semester at Sea..

Senior year (2001) - Lived privately off campus in an apartment complex called Bates Hill Apartments.

After graduation (2002-2003) - stuck around Pittsburgh and lived privately and shared a house on Atwood St. with 2 roomies before coming to the conclusion that Pittsburgh wasn’t my future. I remember paying less than $200 a month to live in that place while working at UPMC, lol.

Tower A 1986.
Melba Place
Ward Street
Shady Avenue
Pier Street
Boulevard of the Allies

1986/87 Freshman year: Tower B 2nd floor
1987-1989 Soph - Jr years: Tower C 2nd floor
Ward Street for Senior years, both Senior years! :)

1991/92 FR Year - Tower B 3rd Floor
1992/93 SOPH Year - Suite in Brackenridge Hall
1993/94 JR Year - Apartment on N. Craig St (just down from Johnny's Place)
1994/95 SR Year - Delta Sigma Phi house on N. Dithridge St.

I got behind a semester due to an emergency appendectomy in 1993 so I left the Delta Sig house in DEC 1995 after my final exams and moved on to my next adventure.

91/92: Tower B , 9th floor
92/93: McCormick Hall suite
93/94: Apartments at corner of Bates and McKey
94/95: Apartment at bottom of Louisa Street steps

Tower A first year. Can’t believe two 200 pound adult males survived in that pie slice for 9 months. But we had a lot of fun overall. Met most of the best friends there that I still have today. We were kind of like foxhole buddies, sharing the pain 😄

Some drunk (no not me) went through our floor two weeks prior to spring finals and shattered every freaking light in the circular hallway and our bathroom. Pitt, perhaps out of spite, likely out of sloth, never did replace them (and barely cleaned the shattered glass… one swath of a vacuum through the debris). In retrospect I can hardly blame them. But we were in the dark (all but our rooms) for those final two weeks.

Picked awful numbers in the dorm lottery after that, so it was into the glorious Oakland apartment jungle we went.

As bad as Tower A was, we had to downgrade (significantly) to various South Oakland Slums thereafter. At least three break ins in two years, possibly 4 but one was only attempted (or so we thought; maybe they just didn’t want our crap). Pittsburgh police basically held the attitude “you live here, you get what you deserve”

Thankfully met future wife as a senior, and she had a very nice apt in North Oakland, where I spent increasing time.

Certainly made me appreciate all the places I lived thereafter.

1972-1974 - Tower B - Freshmen and Sophomore years

1974-1975 - Bayard St. - Junior year

1975-1976 - N. Craig St. (Same Block as Chief's Cafe) - Senior Year

"Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were"

Fall ‘71 - winter ‘74 Tower A room 1611.
Fall ‘74 - winter ‘75 nurses residence “MCNR”
Did a couple spring sessions in the Phi Kap house (I shudder now to think what a firetrap that was).

Had a great roommate in Tower A all 3 years I lived there. Bill Walton. Good guy 👍

Nurses’s residence even better - single room, sink in the room, better cafeteria. And nurses. Lots of nurses. 🙂

2000/01 Tower B 13th floor
01/02 Tower A 9th floor - buddy with ultra low lottery number moved off campus and cost us a Bouquet Gardens suite. Ended up with Tower A single room
02/03, 03/04, Fall 04 Dawson St

Fall ‘71 - winter ‘74 Tower A room 1611.
Fall ‘74 - winter ‘75 nurses residence “MCNR”
Did a couple spring sessions in the Phi Kap house (I shudder now to think what a firetrap that was).

Had a great roommate in Tower A all 3 years I lived there. Bill Walton. Good guy 👍

Nurses’s residence even better - single room, sink in the room, better cafeteria. And nurses. Lots of nurses. 🙂
Wait a minute. I was just watching an ESPN 30 for 30 Documentary on Bill Walton(The Grateful Red), and it showed him attending UCLA those same years and leading their Basketball Team to a few National Titles. Was he flying back and forth while also attending PITT? Why was he not playing Basketball for PITT, or was playing for 2 Different Schools the same time not possible🤔? Bill Walton-“Throw It Down Big Fella”, which he should have yelled at most of those PITT Centers who played for Jamie Dixon, when they were instead taking those Bunny Shots around the Basket-Dejuan Blair being the exception.

I was at UCLA(and USC) during the 1990s for a few years for Grad School and Work with the Career Development Center(at UCLA actually choose to work out of the EXPO Center-eventually was shut down by the 2000s, as Student Internship Programs were moved to Academic Departments-IIRC, as preferred being in the Ackerman close to the Food Court and also where all the action was near the Bruin Statue, instead of the Career Center farther away on the Upper Level of the Campus, and at USC in the Student Union right at the Corner in the Center of Campus where the Trojan Statue could be seen from the Director’s Office Window), so it was awesome watching this ESPN Documentary on Bill Walton seeing the Campus from the Early 1970s. It looked the same except for the Clothes and Hairstyles of the Students. It was awesome having a Baskin Robbins in a Campus Building(attached to the Ackerman Student Union, where I had an office). I used to love running the path around the perimeter of the Campus when I lived in an apartment on Veterans Ave, and running on the Stadium Track.

I had just gotten into the Music of The Doors, but had not realized at the time that Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek were UCLA Students back in the 1960s, until later when watching a few Documentaries on The Doors. UCLA looked like a fun place to have been during the Late 1960s and Early 1970s. Jimbo eventually moved to Venice Beach, but I moved to Playa Del Rey, to be closer to Manhattan Beach to play Volleyball most weekends.

I will post a few stories later about my 1 year living in Tower A.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChazzMo
1971 Tower A. Wannstadt lived in the next room.
Fiji house on Wallingford St. rest of my Pitt career through June 75.
Made friends and memories of a lifetime. Still keep in touch regularly with 3 Fiji’s I lived with.
Ran track for Pitt in 71. Fiji won the IFC football championship, and the inter mural football championship in 72. Beat the Dental school.

1990 - 1994
Freshman year - Tower A, Room 302
Sophomore year and Junior year - N. Dithridge St.
Senior Year - Forbes Ave. (above CJ’s)

I feel like there’s definitely been this thread before but it’s been a while and it’s fun.

2010 Hemlock Hall @ Pitt Johnstown
(Transferred)
2011-2012 Meyran Ave
2013-2015 Oakland Ave

Couldn’t get on-campus housing as a transfer. And I’ll be willing to bet I lived in the smallest room out of anyone in my hovel on Oakland Ave. Place was about the size of a walk-in closet. But it was cheap and I was poor.

Tower B - 96
Brackenridge
Bates Street Apts
South Mathilda Bloomfield
Dawson St Courtyard

'70-71: B Tower 18th floor (Mad House - we won the campus intramural softball championship that year; beat the Delts)
'71-72: C Tower. Not sure which floor but Glenn Hyde was my next door neighbor
'72-74: apartments on N Bellefield

Left the 'Burgh in 1975 but still root for all of the Pittsburgh sports teams

84-85: Tower A
85-86: Tower C
86-87: Apartment on Atwood
87-88: Apartment on Louisa

Many great times and interesting times. I remember being a little nervous riding up the elevator in Tower A alone with Ironhead Heyward one day. I think it was after the paperboy incident, if any of you remember that.

84-85 / Tower C - Curtis Aiken lived two doors down
85-86 312 McKee
86-87 312 McKee (moved upstairs)
87-88 Atwood
The two years on McKee were nothing short of perfect college days

86-90...Lothrop all four years. First in a converted lounge/suite on 12th floor frosh year and then a private room on 14th for the remainder of my time.

• Wow
Reactions: FireballZ
2002-03: Tower B
03-07: Forbes Ave (Above CJ's/Johnny Rotten's/Dunkin Donuts)

Moved a total of like 200 feet away.

Just to add a small story - in the place on Meyran I lived in a little over a decade ago, I noticed some plaster on the ceiling over the stove in the kitchen. Apparently this was touched up because the toilet in the unit above it crashed down on it while the previous tenants were living there. Thankfully they weren’t cooking there when it happened.

I also remember seeing a mushroom growing out of the wall in one of my neighbor’s units.

i'm the only person i know of who's lived in all 3 towers. freshman in B. then i was an RA in C and A.

2014 - one of the Not Athletic Random People in Sutherland east, shared the floor with some football players, baseball guys and the men and women’s soccer team
15 - Henry street
16 - melwood Ave in a 6 bedroom
17 - horrible house on Ophelia street. Floor to ceiling wood paneling, drop ceiling, horrible lights, barely any windows. Luckily we had a nice roof we could access out of the attic or id have probably lost my mind senior year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT