ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Inside PA Recruiting (Athletic Article)

scoise

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Pittsburgh
https://theathletic.com/2702678/202...es-ohio-states-success-where-does-pitt-stand/

Not sure how I missed this from a few weeks ago but I don't remember seeing this posted to the board - sorry if it was. The below is part of an article that Audrey Snyder (I know) did on PA recruiting. It's obviously through a PSU lens but I found the comments interesting. Now, I take it all with a large grain salt because we don't know which schools these are the head coaches of and it's all anecdotal. I bet if Chris or Jim did this with coaches of schools that Pitt regularly recruits, they'd get much different responses. These coaches also make it sound like if Pitt recruited the same 4 and 5 star kids that PSU, OSU, and others recruit, that Pitt would be successful - sorry, I don't believe you.

It's not a secret that Narduzzi has decided to allocate resources away from eastern PA, though. Anybody have a guess as to who the Pittsburgh area coach/school is?

How would you describe the way Pitt recruits your players?

Coach 1 (Philly area): (Pat) Narduzzi is very stubborn when it comes to this side of the state. They will never get away from recruiting the local Pittsburgh market and a little bit of Ohio. They sit there and they’re complacent. They wait for whoever falls from Ohio State to go to Penn State. Whoever falls from Penn State and maybe Michigan is in that mix too, whoever falls from those programs, that’s who they take. … Their recruiter, he’s from Pittsburgh and he stays out there. They’ll call wanting our guys, but that’s it. There’s no relationship.

Coach 2 (Pittsburgh area): They recruit them well. They’ve done a very good job when we’ve had guys that fit the criteria and were good enough. Sometimes we all think we have a guy (who is good enough). … It’s subjective. … I think their blueprint is also that they want Florida kids. Get a Florida kid and maybe a Maryland, DC, Virginia kid. They’re not getting to Texas, like Ohio State, or California or something like that. … They’ve done a good job. We just haven’t had a kid go to Pitt yet in my tenure here.

Coach 3 (Philly): Pitt does a great job. (Cory) Sanders, the DB coach there, recruits our area. Before COVID, he came to the school in the spring multiple times. He comes in the fall and stops by games. He’s present. They offer early and establish early relationships and they’re not shy about it.

Coach 4 (Philly suburb): It’s different. I have not nearly as much contact with Pitt. … They came out to watch (our star player) after I called them. Actually, I feel like it’s pulling teeth with Pitt just to get feedback, to get responses. It’s not like it is at Penn State. I could pick up the phone and call Terry Smith at Penn State and he’ll answer on the first ring. Or I could call (offensive line coach) Andrew Aurich at Rutgers and he’ll pick up. … It seems like (Pitt) doesn’t want our people.

Reactions: Largie Condios
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News