ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Pitt named one of nation's safest campuses

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
National Council for Home Safety and Security named Pitt (and WVU) among top 100 safest universities in the nation. Ironically, it has been said on here with regard to recruiting that the opposite is true in Oakland, and has been negatively used by opposing recruiters. Well, now our staff has a valid argument as a positive to recruits.

National Council for Home Safety and Security named Pitt (and WVU) among top 100 safest universities in the nation. Ironically, it has been said on here with regard to recruiting that the opposite is true in Oakland, and has been negatively used by opposing recruiters. Well, now our staff has a valid argument as a positive to recruits.
But that can't be. Those Nit [and other] recruiters going back to Tommy Bradley and before always tried to impress on recruit's mothers that their sons would likely end up murdered if they went to Pitt.

But that can't be. Those Nit [and other] recruiters going back to Tommy Bradley and before always tried to impress on recruit's mothers that their sons would likely end up murdered if they went to Pitt.
Those admonitions persist today. But like then, they are most effective when delivered from the seat of a shiny Escalade. Right, Ms. Wade?

That leads to a great riddle -- what's a safer place to be: on the cold streets of Oakland, or in the warmth of a Penn State shower room?

Nice! Not that anyone, with all the headlines the past few years about state penn, thinks happy valley is a safe place at all anymore. But, it is good to have some proof that we are among the safer universities in the country

Reactions: JokePa
Nice! Not that anyone, with all the headlines the past few years about state penn, thinks happy valley is a safe place at all anymore. But, it is good to have some proof that we are among the safer universities in the country

I hear the same comment from my Ped state Coworkers

Very good thanks for posting

Unfortunately most people don't or maybe can't read. Sadly most people only go by what they hear from others.

Lots must of changed since I walked late night down High Street and through Sunnyside! Good for WVU making it's campus safe.

Read this and laughed. Don't want to provide ammunition for our rival lurkers on the board but this is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. I mean, what metrics could they possibly be using that allowed them to arrive at this conclusion. I must see them. Maybe the stats are limited to strictly University-owned property because Oakland, love it as I do, is a veritable warzone. This is one of the primary reasons I went to Pitt. The lawlessness was a major draw

Maker I agree with you about this study maybe being a "little" off?I just don't see WVU being one of the safest campuses and I see it a lot!

I went to school at Pitt for 4 years and i.literally never seen a crime or knew anyone that had a crime committed against them and I walked south Oakland most every night from the benedum center.

The myth that Oakland is unsafe just isn't true, just what the Penn state breathen want to spread to make their inbred, drunken university seem like a better place

Reactions: PittPanthers90
For the record, I go to campuses all over the country as part of my job, and I feel safer at Pitt than most any campus. Not sure how you rank this feeling, but glad they felt the same in this study

Unless you lick the floor of the 'O'... that isnt safe

I've been walking the streets of Morgantown for longer than most on here have been alive and I don't feel safe after dark!I have to say this report leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

I'm sure this will have a major positive impact on recruiting. Word is the memo from Duzzi to all staff to make this a focus of recruiting has already been circulated.

Pitt coach to recruit: "and another thing you may not know, son: Pitt has been named #99 of the 100 safest campuses in the country by the National Council for Home Safety and Security. Ever heard of those guys? Me neither, but they're legit, I can assure you. You like apples? How 'bout them apples? Put that in your pipes and smoke it, opposing recruiters! But still son, you may want to stay off of Forbes after about 9 p.m., just as a precaution of course......."

I'm sure this will have a major positive impact on recruiting. Word is the memo from Duzzi to all staff to make this a focus of recruiting has already been circulated.

Pitt coach to recruit: "and another thing you may not know, son: Pitt has been named #99 of the 100 safest campuses in the country by the National Council for Home Safety and Security. Ever heard of those guys? Me neither, but they're legit, I can assure you. You like apples? How 'bout them apples? Put that in your pipes and smoke it, opposing recruiters! But still son, you may want to stay off of Forbes after about 9 p.m., just as a precaution of course......."

Ok SA. It won't be used in that context. But if the negative is used about Oakland, it would be a good rebuttal. Listen, Oakland being dangerous has been used by recruiters against Pitt for ages, and some parents have bought in, so at least there is a reference to use to counter it.

I went to school at Pitt for 4 years and i.literally never seen a crime or knew anyone that had a crime committed against them and I walked south Oakland most every night from the benedum center.

The myth that Oakland is unsafe just isn't true, just what the Penn state breathen want to spread to make their inbred, drunken university seem like a better place

Huh?? Terry Smith and Miles Sanders mom both told me Oakland was a ghetto??

I've been walking the streets of Morgantown for longer than most on here have been alive and I don't feel safe after dark!I have to say this report leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

I dont mind walking around Morgantown, unless there is a game or something going on. It isnt bad, then again, I'm not usually there at night. I imagine any large campus will have issues at night.

Teh I just can't believe WVU is one of the safest campuses in the country.I'm guessing because of the way the campus is located here in Morgantown most crimes are committed on city property.I guess I'm not really afraid at night in Morgantown it's more like uncomfortable sometimes.The bad part my wife educated (or tried to)most of the thugs hanging around on the streets of Mo-town!She didn't do a very good job I guess!

Teh I just can't believe WVU is one of the safest campuses in the country.I'm guessing because of the way the campus is located here in Morgantown most crimes are committed on city property.I guess I'm not really afraid at night in Morgantown it's more like uncomfortable sometimes.The bad part my wife educated (or tried to)most of the thugs hanging around on the streets of Mo-town!She didn't do a very good job I guess!

Yeah, I was there during some huge party they have around halloween, its called something, I dont remember, it was long ago, and I saw fight after fight

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT