17-15

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2001
March
Edit | Reply

It's March and here comes Sam.

Again.

The hair I tore out over Sam Young for two and a half years has long since grown back. Even if, privately, I tore out a little more in the middle of this year as Sam struggled to find his place in the Season of DeJuan Blair.

But now, it's March and here comes Sam.

Because when he really comes to play, at both ends of the court and on the boards...

In the past eight days Sam Young has played two of the more compelling 0 assist, 5 turnover and 1 assist, 6 turnover games in the history of basketball. When it's in the flow, you don't sweat a few turnovers. Or even notice them.

I have seen hundreds of players who can jump like Sam Young, maybe thousands. Most of them are content to admire their gifts. Sam Young wasn't. He went to a school where players get better and he went to work. Sometimes it was painful to watch. But four years later he's a player who can score just about any way a basketball player can score. And when he wants to, he can get on the boards with much bigger players, and guard them too.

Sam Young has played his best basketball in the biggest games. This time last year, Sam Young put this team on his back and led them to the Big East Tournament Championship. And when Sam Young plays his best basketball, this team is so complete. With three stars who fit like a glove:

Levance Fields, the General, the Badass with the Bad Ass, willing himself to 37 minutes and 12 assists on Senior Day.

DeJuan Blair. The Space Eating Rebounding Machine. The Player of the Year in the Big East.

And now, in March, again, Sam Young. The Mismatch.

Sam Young has found his place. It's where it should be, right in the front.

Posted on 3/7 9:33 PM | IP: 98.219.215.170

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News