ADVERTISEMENT

Slam Dunk Club

Mark_77

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
West Mifflin, PA
Even though I was a fan of Lyke, I understand the money problem and, from the looks of it, Pitt got a good hire for the new AD. That said, they need to look for more ways to generate revenue other than just looking for new donors or boosting ticket prices too much. Yes, our tickets are still a bargain, but given the variety of sporting events and entertainment in the area, you can’t charge Penn State prices.

On my wall is a photo of Jerome Lane shattering the backboard and it is signed to me by Jerome Lane. It is one of my favorite pieces of memorabilia. I got that photo mailed to me from Pitt (or the Golden Panthers) as a thank you for being a member of the Slam Dunk Club in the late 80’s. Prior to the season, fans were asked to pledge a certain dollar amount (of their choosing) for every dunk recorded by a Panther throughout the year. I don’t know how much it generated, but I would have to think it was a little substantial. I was very happy to pay the donation as I felt a little buy-in to the play of the team.

I have wondered why we still don’t do things like that. In basketball, it can be for every dunk, every 3-pointer or whatever. In football, you could pledge to sacks, TDs, field goals or whatever.

We all pay quite a bit for tickets, parking, donations, etc. This would seem to be a way for fans to be a part of it and not feel as though they were not just being asked to contribute more.

Just a thought!

Hail to Pitt!!!

Reactions: Lchertik
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.