ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT but depressing thought about Pitt Hoops ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
... over the last several days, my Son and I have been assembling rosters on NBA2K18.

The subject came up for the All-Time NBA team for players who played for Pitt, or were at least on a Pitt roster.

See if you can come up the same team we came up with ...

C - Steven Adams
PF - Charles Smith
SF - Billy Knight
SG - Sam Young
PG - Vonteego Cummings

The only change that could be made is including Chris Gatling at PF, who never played at Pitt but was on the roster, and playing Charles Smith at SF, and moving Billy Knight to SG (where he actually did play a bit).

Any way about it, I suspect that there are maybe 60 schools who could come up with a better team. Maybe more.

... over the last several days, my Son and I have been assembling rosters on NBA2K18.

The subject came up for the All-Time NBA team for players who played for Pitt, or were at least on a Pitt roster.

See if you can come up the same team we came up with ...

C - Steven Adams
PF- Charles Smith
SF- Chris Gatling (a little out of position perhaps)
SG- Billy Knight
PG- Vonteego??

I guess maybe Blount could be on the team and you take Cummings off...but..yikes.

I’m gonna go with the above with 1 change.

I’m gonna say Mark Blount over Steven Adams (to this point) but before all is said and done I think Adams will have a better career.

That's possible, but will likely not be the case even in 2 years.

The only change that could be made is including Chris Gatling at PF, who never played at Pitt but was on the roster, and playing Charles Smith at SF, and moving Billy Knight to SG (where he actually did play a bit).

Any way about it, I suspect that there are maybe 60 schools who could come up with a better team. Maybe more.

More.

Rather amazing to think that of the Pitt players who made it in the NBA, how many were centers: Smith, Adams, Blount, Mobley, Gray, Blair. Any others?

Rather amazing to think that of the Pitt players who made it in the NBA, how many were centers: Smith, Adams, Blount, Mobley, Gray, Blair. Any others?

Darren Morningstar and Thomas Hamilton

Here is the really depressing part. We could possibly have 3 guys from last year’s team make an NBA team at some point in their career. Artis, Young, and Cam Johnson.

I’m gonna say Mark Blount over Steven Adams (to this point) but before all is said and done I think Adams will have a better career.

I considered Blount, but I think Adams is already better. The other guy I considered was Mel Bennett. Other than that, it's pretty slim pickings. Our NBA guards leave a lot to be desired.

Taft

C - Steven Adams
PF- Charles Smith
SF- Chris Gatling (a little out of position perhaps)
SG- Billy Knight
PG- Vonteego??

I guess maybe Blount could be on the team and you take Cummings off...but..yikes.
Garbage besides Adams. Gatling doesn’t count. Don’t know about Knight. Didn’t start following the NBA until 1980.

This made me wonder where Pitt would rank in the ACC among All-NBA teams.

I think Pitt would be above
Boston College
Clemson (Unless they started 5 Forwards/Centers)
Miami
VA (maybe)
VTech

This made me wonder where Pitt would rank in the ACC among All-NBA teams.

I think Pitt would be above
Boston College
Clemson (Unless they started 5 Forwards/Centers)
Miami
VA (maybe)
VTech

Miami??? Rick Barry alone crushes us, same with Sampson and UVA. Boston College has more players than you would think.

Maybe VT. That’s close.

It is kind of ironic (don't you think) that for many years from 2000-2015, Pitt basketball was the anti Pitt football. What I mean by that, you can put together an all NFL roster of Pitt guys, and go head to head with Alabama, tOSU, Notre Dames, etc... and have a team not just competitive, but superior to most, probably top 7. But aside from the 1976-1982 era, Pitt football is a ~40-50 in producing actual results. Contrast this to Pitt basketball, where you can say we would have trouble making a top 50-60 roster (considering many more basketball teams), and during that time period, we are almost producing results on the court at a top 10 level.

It is kind of ironic (don't you think) that for many years from 2000-2015, Pitt basketball was the anti Pitt football. What I mean by that, you can put together an all NFL roster of Pitt guys, and go head to head with Alabama, tOSU, Notre Dames, etc... and have a team not just competitive, but superior to most, probably top 7. But aside from the 1976-1982 era, Pitt football is a ~40-50 in producing actual results. Contrast this to Pitt basketball, where you can say we would have trouble making a top 50-60 roster (considering many more basketball teams), and during that time period, we are almost producing results on the court at a top 10 level.

That's a fairly direct reflection on coaching.

C - Mel Bennett
PF- Charles Smith
SF- Mike Rice
SG- Billy Knight
PG- Vonteego??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT