ADVERTISEMENT

Slovis

some transfer rankings.

They seem to think being in a pro style offense will help Slovis.
Important to keep some of our 5 year OL.

Although I don’t understand their logic of the Air Raid and why not being in it will help him.

Pitt should be favored and hopefully win all of those games. Wins over WVU and Tennessee should help Pitt move up the rankings.
If we start the season in the top 15 and beat WVU and Tennessee, we will be in a great position heading into conference play… what a time to be a Pitt fan!

Yeah, like having to play the tempo of OSU away after the emotional win against PSU in 2016. History repeating itself, you think they would learn
Huepel wasn't the Tennessee coach when this game was scheduled. Still shouldn't have scheduled them but not because of the up tempo offense.

Yogi is absolutely bonkers over the potential this guy brings for the team. A solid citizen athlete who checks any box on or off the field. Patti can really get Pitt fans excited - and the media - with a good bowl performance. Don’t have to worry about big game jitters with either QB cause you know Heinz will be rocking with those OOC games.

Huepel wasn't the Tennessee coach when this game was scheduled. Still shouldn't have scheduled them but not because of the up tempo offense.
Right.

I was just bringing up his offense because that's what we are going to be dealing with. We've had trouble with it this past year at Tennessee and in 2018 & 19 when he was at UCF. It shouldn't have been scheduled this way to begin with, but playing his up tempo offense just makes it harder, imo.

Regardless, I don't like playing a OOC team the caliber of a Tennessee the week after a big rivalry game.

Last edited:
Excellent job by PN & staff. They landed KP without an OC and now this kid. He clearly has talent but needed a new start. The new norm in college FB is for QB’s to transfer as only 1 can play. Yellen would free up a ship if he goes. Hopefully the other 3 stay and compete. The guy who ends up 2nd in the competition is only one snap away from playing.
Duzz is earning that extension.

I don't know who stays and who goes but a lot of that will depend on how Duzz handles the room.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Great addition. Even if he never starts a game, expectations and competition have risen to higher levels. May the best man win.
He'll start Game 1 barring injury. That's why they went out and got him.

That's another reason why I'm excited about Slovis. Pitt really can't afford to have a QB getting their first real starting experience against that schedule. At least not if we want to try and repeat our success from this year.

That is an excellent point. Of course, now I am alittle worried about Slovis starting against a team that hates us and will be blitzing like mad

Me: This is a solid pickup. But one of the two concerns with Slovis are he never really seemed to progress at USC, which eventually caused him to lose his job.

PFF: Slovis is a solid QB, but one whose grade never progressed beyond the solid QB of his of freshmen year.

It’s amazing the normal takes that on this board amount to negative takes.
His freshman year would have been like the second or third best statistical year of any Pitt QB since Marino, which I believe would make it second or third best in Pitt football history. So there's that.

The word is he played 2020 in a pandemic-altered year with a nagging throwing arm injury, and it's well publicized that he battled injuries all season in 2021. Dart didn't see the field until Slovis got knocked out of the Wazzou game.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
For comparisons sake, here are their stats at USC:

Max Browne - 69-112 61.6% 650 yds 2 tds 2 ints
Kedon Slovis - 652-953 68.4% 7576 yds 58 tds 24 ints

Other than having both attended USC Browne and Slovis have zero in common when it comes to accomplishments.
Honestly I would take those stats for next year. Doesn't even need to improve them and I am happy. One year at 68.4 3700 yds. 29 TD and 12 int. I can live with that sign me up

Reactions: PANTHERAN
Exactly, very reminiscent of 2016. Why can't the admin ever learn? Only saving grace is both are at home.
Predicting how an OOC schedule will play out at the time it's made is kind of like predicting what the weather will be on the same dates 3 years in the future. Different coaches, players, etc. etc. etc.

I don't understand the whole bad scheduling narrative on the board. It's not like we lined up some murderers row with a bad WVU team and a mediocre Tennessee team at home, this year's last place MAC West team on the road, and a FCS team at home. I mean realistically how soft do you want it? If we can't beat those first two teams at home and the other two on the road what kind of season are we expecting to have anyway?

LOL. Damn good analogy.
Honestly, I look at evaluations and sometimes I just shame my head and wonder, does the guy succeed on the field. I think the finer points matter but they shouldn't overshadow what the film says. Aaron Donald is a good example of that. A.Q. Shipley is another guy. Arms are too short. Spent 11 years in the league.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Predicting how an OOC schedule will play out at the time it's made is kind of like predicting what the weather will be on the same dates 3 years in the future. Different coaches, players, etc. etc. etc.

I don't understand the whole bad scheduling narrative on the board. It's not like we lined up some murderers row with a bad WVU team and a mediocre Tennessee team at home, this year's last place MAC West team on the road, and a FCS team at home. I mean realistically how soft do you want it? If we can't beat those first two teams at home and the other two on the road what kind of season are we expecting to have anyway?
It's not murderers row, but we aren't exactly rolling Alabama type talent out there either. When you're able to call your own shots and influence the schedule, I don't think opening with a rival and following it up the very next week with a decent SEC opponent is ideal. I especially don't like those back to back right out of the gate.

Tennessee is a weird team. They lost 5 games, and 4 of those were to teams with 2 or fewer losses. Going by rankings, Pitt finished the season the lowest ranked of the four. The other loss was to Florida before they flew off the rails.

Every time I hear the name Slovis

The-Burbs-the-burbs-movie-43670000-300-225.gif

Reactions: Parkview57

And does Pitt have enough home grown talent to even consider a B12 team a rivalry? The packed stadium will provide the juice but not sure the players have this circled other than it’s the first game.

And does Pitt have enough home grown talent to even consider a B12 team a rivalry? The packed stadium will provide the juice but not sure the players have this circled other than it’s the first game.
I can tell you the hoopies care, even the young grads who weren't even in school when Pitt and WVU last played. It's strange, they must indoctrinate Freshman with a why you should hate Pitt class.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Regardless, I don't like playing a OOC team the caliber of a Tennessee the week after a big rivalry game.
Why? No chance for a letdown game after that. Pitt lost to Western Michigan following Tennessee last year and lost to Miami following Clemson. If Pitt is as good as advertised, it doesn't matter who the opponent is the following week.

Might be me but PFF comes off like craft beer guys. They have all kinds of weird reasons to hate/like something beyond "does it taste good".
Haha, very good, not that I want to turn other Pitt fans off but Craft Beer Guys need their own section at Heinz.

Reactions: pittdan77
I hear you, but we should Mortal Kombat WVU's asses this year. That should be nothing short of ugly. And WMU isn't beating us twice... especially if that QB moves on.

Tennessee could be a problem, lol. But even still, I don't know that we're in any sort of national championship picture, so the non-conference games shouldn't kill us.

Sky Moore is also going to the NFL, potentially as a mid-round pick. They will be a vastly worse offense.

Do not forget the online coach, who many also wanted gone, his line is going to make this QB look great , give that man an extension

Slovis has a 2-1 TD INT ratio and has completed almost 70% of his passes while playing at a major college program for three years. He also started there since he was a freshman and won awards and a lot of games. He is not average in anyway. He would still be there if the head coach wasn't canned and he got hurt derailing last year's season. And we are incredibly fortunate that all happened to coincide with Pitt having a monster year and program stability. Oh and his girlfriend is on our soccer team.

So yes I think we have to realize we might have been very lucky to get him. But now that we have him we need to realize how incredibly lucky we are he will be the starting QB nest year.

Don't get me wrong, I will be sitting in the Pabst Blue Ribbon/Miller High Life section !
Glad you mentioned the Champagne of Beers. I was an early craft beer adapter. As I’ve aged a bit and as craft beer evolved into a contest to see who could make the hoppiest IPA or infuse the beer with the most off the wall flavor, I found myself going the other direction. After spending years of making fun of one of my buddies who always orders a High Life in a bottle with a glass of ice to drink it over, I now find myself reaching for it more often than anything else.

Reactions: Parkview57
Slovis has a 2-1 TD INT ratio and has completed almost 70% of his passes while playing at a major college program for three years. He also started there since he was a freshman and won awards and a lot of games. He is not average in anyway. He would still be there if the head coach wasn't canned and he got hurt derailing last year's season. And we are incredibly fortunate that all happened to coincide with Pitt having a monster year and program stability. Oh and his girlfriend is on our soccer team.

So yes I think we have to realize we might have been very lucky to get him. But now that we have him we need to realize how incredibly lucky we are he will be the starting QB nest year.
No question the Slovis transfer plus the entire O line, Addison amd RBs returning gives Pitt a chance to play for another ACC championship and hang another 11-12 wins on the board, which would be huge. There was little change of that happening with any of the QBs currently on the roster becoming a first time starter next year. Pitt will be taken seriously going into the next season for the first time in a very long time.

Hopefully we can shore up a couple of the holes on the back end of the D and 2022 could be another special one.

It will he very interesting to see if Clemson fixes their offense issues in this off season. Here’s hoping they don’t.

I am so over ipas. Too many good beers out there.
To each his own but I prefer not to drink something that tastes like a liquified flower bed. The craft beers I still enjoy are more the browns, reds, milder stouts, Pilsners and lagers. When it comes to IPAs, I still very much enjoy a Bells Two Hearted.

Reactions: USN_Panther
To each his own but I prefer not to drink something that tastes like a liquified flower bed. The craft beers I still enjoy are more the browns, reds, milder stouts, Pilsners and lagers. When it comes to IPAs, I still very much enjoy a Bells Two Hearted.
I think that brewers are trying way too hard. I'm going more to a standard English ale or ESB in lieu of the sours or face puckering hazy IPAs.

Slovis has a 2-1 TD INT ratio and has completed almost 70% of his passes while playing at a major college program for three years.

2 to 1 isn’t a great TD to INT ratio. His INTs are probably one of the red flags from his time at USC.

Kenny Pickett’s ratio was 39-25 coming into this season,

Cool. And in the history of college football, how many QBs do you think have ever had that kind of turn around? List some of them just during your football fandom that you can even think of.

Cool. And in the history of college football, how many QBs do you think have ever had that kind of turn around? List some of them just during your football fandom that you can even think of.
It's quite common for a Sr QB to put up much better numbers. The Kenny Pickett & Joe Burrow types are the extreme examples.

All that said, if you look at Pickett's numbers without all the drops last year- the results would have been much closer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT