ADVERTISEMENT

SMF fixes bowl season

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
If we're lucky, we can get this on Message Board geniuses but I think its a good idea.

The 12 team playoff is coming soon. First step in my new bowl format is to eliminate the bowls from the playoff system completely.

Tell the Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Peach, and Cotton that if they want to continue as sanctioned bowl games, the NCAA will pick their teams for mini 4 team tournaments with games separated by 5 days (like a Saturday/Thursday) to allow fans to attend 2 games.

Using this year as an example:

December 27
#13 vs #16 and #14 vs #15 in Pasadena
January 1
Dec 27 winners play in Rose Bowl

December 27
#17 vs #20 and #18 vs #19 in NO
January 1
Dec 27 winners play in Sugar Bowl

etc, etc until you get to the lowest of these bowl tournaments, the Peach Bowl with teams seeded 33-36 playing. This gives programs having mediocre seasons like Pitt something to root for. Fans may be disappointed at a 7-5 or 8-4 season but getting into of these mini bowl tournaments in a great location for the chance to play in a prestigious bowl would make the entire season more meaningful.

I posted something similar to this like a year ago. These tournaments would almost function like the NIT in comparison to the NCAAT. But then I thought about it a bit more and didn't really see how they provide any more incentive for guys to care than what the current system does. It's still the playoff and everything else for most P5 teams. The only plus I could think of is these starting much closer to the end of the regular season. Guys who are going pro aren't going to wait around for a month before playing one last game; they'd rather go to Florida and work on improving their draft stock.

As for using the major bowls to provide incentive... guys are already opting out of them, and it would only take a few years for the brand names (e.g. Rose Bowl) to become completely meaningless if you attached them to these second-rate tournaments. They would turn into what Starter has in the clothing industry.

Last edited:
A single bowl game is enough for a 7-5 or 8-4 team, we don't need mini tournaments for teams with everyone good opting out to protect their NFL 7th round draft status.
No no no, when it’s a playoff aka a tournament, it’s WRONG to opt out. Calling it a bowl magically makes it worthless and stupid for upperclassman to play in.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
I posted something similar to this like a year ago. These tournaments would almost function like the NIT in comparison to the NCAAT. But then I thought about it a bit more and didn't really see how they provide any more incentive for guys to care than what the current system does. It's still the playoff and everything else for most P5 teams. The only plus I could think of is these starting much closer to the end of the regular season. Guys who are going pro aren't going to wait around for a month before playing one last game; they'd rather go to Florida and work on improving their draft stock.

As for using the major bowls to provide incentive... guys are already opting out of them, and it would only take a few years for the brand names (e.g. Rose Bowl) to become completely meaningless if you attached them to these second-rate tournaments. They would turn into what Starter has in the clothing industry.
I dont think its going to stop the opt outs. Maybe for a guy like Jared Wayne, who is a late round-type, he may opt to play. But that isn't really the point. Its to add more meaning to the regular season for teams, after they lose their 2nd game or 3rd game. The Rose, Sugar, Orange, etc are historic brand names. If I was the NCAA I'd get them the hell out of the CFP (no need to outsource it) and into these NIT-like mini tournaments. Will their brand be eroded over time? Sure. But that will be a slow burn. 10-2 UNC, 10-2 PSU, 9-3 UCLA, and 9-3 Texas would be pretty pumped to go play in the Rose Bowl tournament even with all the opt-outs.

Lets say Pitt can get to the Peach Bowl Tournament at 8-4 with lets say Florida, Illinois, and Liberty with the Peach Bowl being on NYD, that would make the rest of the season much more fun and meaningful.

I would make these games all NYD and play the CFP on other days since the CFP doesnt NEED NYD to get people to watch.

11AM - Peach Bowl ESPN
1:00 - Cotton Bowl ABC
3:00 - Fiesta Bowl ESPN
5:00 - Rose Bowl ABC
7:00 - Orange Bowl ESPN
9:00 - Sugar Bowl ABC

For fans of Pitt, Illinois, Minnesota, etc, the chance to play on this day would be pretty exciting I think.

Something like this if not exactly this, seriously does seem necessary in coming years, or the bowl system as we know it now is seriously going to wither away. Both with the opt outs increasing each year now due to leaving college, or those who will enter the portal en masse the moment the reg season ends (or before), you may not have nearly any guys left to take the field in the crap bowls. Throw in half the assistant coaches that now quit and refuse to coach in the bowl (aka, Whipple).

Something like this if not exactly this, seriously does seem necessary in coming years, or the bowl system as we know it now is seriously going to wither away. Both with the opt outs increasing each year now due to leaving college, or those who will enter the portal en masse the moment the reg season ends (or before), you may not have nearly any guys left to take the field in the crap bowls. Throw in half the assistant coaches that now quit and refuse to coach in the bowl (aka, Whipple).
The non-CFP bowls need some juice. Get these bowls out of the CFP and make them a reward for team PERFORMANCE NOT FAN TRAVEL. Inotherwords, the NCAA picks the teams by a committee like the NCAA Tournament. Have a selection show and all that. Teams get bids by their resume not how many fans they will bring. If these bowls dont like that, bye bye.

No one but old farts care about "historic bowl games" since the playoff started, the only reason the Rose Bowl still gets somewhat decent ratings is due to it having the best time slot and no competition. There's going to be a point after the playoff expands where the NFL says screw it and runs a 4:30PM kickoff when New Years Day falls on a Monday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.

Also, what's keeping the B1G and SEC from saying goodbye to the CFP and having a bowl game between their respective conference champions, with the winner claiming a National Championship? The B1G raids a few more PAC12 schools and has their "Conference Championship Game" on NYD at the Rose Bowl, the SEC cherry picks the ACC and has their "Conference Championship Game" in New Orleans on New Years Night, the winners then play in a bowl game that rotates between Dallas, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Inglewood, and Miami.

Big Ten Championships should be the Rose Bowl (and first round of the tourney)
SEC Championship should be the Cotton Bowl.
ACC Championship should be the Sugar Bowl
Big 12 Championship should be the Fiesta Bowl

Winners get auto bid to 8 team tourney, with 4 additional at large teams selected.

Winners get auto bid to 8 team tourney, with 4 additional at large teams selected.
No. Conferences don't want to outscore their profitable championship games. I have no idea why the CFP allows such outsourcing

giphy.gif

Reactions: pittdan77

Those are the latest grand daddy's for some reason

Bowls I love that have major history but got left behind. Independence, liberty, peach, citrus, gator (until they succumbed to the sponsor name knifing), holiday,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT