ADVERTISEMENT

SMU means business......

Was about to share that myself, thought it was a very fascinating read. Some interesting notes:

- “It’s a couple hundred million (dollars). I won’t lose sleep over it.” :oops:
- SMU and the ACC had been in communication for the past two years but conversations were much more private than the Pac-12’s negotiations
- NC State didn’t realize what SMU was willing to give up until last minute via back channels between boosters, which is why they eventually flipped
- Article mentions the Dallas neutral site for Olympic sports between Cal/Stanford and existing ACC schools, as well as “broadening the plan (in the future) to incorporate other events”… what does this mean?
- ACC, SMU has been in communication with the city of Dallas; mayor wants to host ACC MBB Tournament

I’m really excited for the Mustangs to join the conference. They’re a great academic/institutional fit and having the Dallas market in the conference is great. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them compete at a level similar to TCU in the near future… they’re ready to spend whatever is necessary to win.

Was about to share that myself, thought it was a very fascinating read. Some interesting notes:

- SMU and the ACC had been in communication for the past two years but conversations were much more private than the Pac-12’s negotiations
- NC State didn’t realize what SMU was willing to give up until last minute via back channels between boosters, which is why they eventually flipped
- Article mentions the Dallas neutral site for Olympic sports between Cal/Stanford and existing ACC schools, as well as “broadening the plan (in the future) to incorporate other events”… what does this mean?
- ACC, SMU has been in communication with the city of Dallas; mayor wants to host ACC MBB Tournament

I’m really excited for the Mustangs to join the conference. They’re a great academic/institutional fit and having the Dallas market in the conference is great. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them compete at a level similar to TCU in the near future… they’re ready to spend whatever is necessary to win.

I think SMU can very well be the #3 team in Texas and in some years, be Top 5-10 but who in Dallas is going to care?

As for the neutral site games, my guess is that maybe each ACC team will be required to play 1 "home game" in Dallas vs Cal or Stanford.

Thanks for the link.

I've heard some people asking why the ACC would even be interested in a school like SMU. These people feel that SMU can't compete.

I was around for the Southwest Conference when SMU was one of the top teams in the nation. Yes, they did it illegally and money was flowing.

Trust me. They will start that money flowing again. I predict that SMU will be nationally relevant again within 5 years.

I think SMU can very well be the #3 team in Texas and in some years, be Top 5-10 but who in Dallas is going to care?

As for the neutral site games, my guess is that maybe each ACC team will be required to play 1 "home game" in Dallas vs Cal or Stanford.
I think people in Dallas would begin to take notice when they start hosting Clemson/Florida State/Miami/UNC while TCU is hosting Iowa State/Kansas State/UCF.

Plus, you figure that they’ll get a game or two against Notre Dame at the Jerry Dome that will bring in a lot of casual fans. If this really is the Pony Express 2.0, I believe they have a lot of potential both in Texas and nationally. I’m also biased since they’ll soon be in the ACC. :)

I think people in Dallas would begin to take notice when they start hosting Clemson/Florida State/Miami/UNC while TCU is hosting Iowa State/Kansas State/UCF.

Plus, you figure that they’ll get a game or two against Notre Dame at the Jerry Dome that will bring in a lot of casual fans. If this really is the Pony Express 2.0, I believe they have a lot of potential both in Texas and nationally. I’m also biased since they’ll soon be in the ACC. :)
TOTALLY AGREE!!

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Who the hell are these boosters and how do we get some of them?

Thanks for the link.

I've heard some people asking why the ACC would even be interested in a school like SMU. These people feel that SMU can't compete.

I was around for the Southwest Conference when SMU was one of the top teams in the nation. Yes, they did it illegally and money was flowing.

Trust me. They will start that money flowing again. I predict that SMU will be nationally relevant again within 5 years.
SMU was doing what every school in the SWC was doing.

I know some SMU people. They are a small but powerful group and have been waiting 40 years to be relevant again. There will always been more UT, A&M and Oklahoma grads and boosters in DFW but that doesn’t mean SMU can’t carve out a major slice of the pie.

In learning more about SMU football, the institution, the program, the neighborhood, the alumni...reminds me a lot of Villanova and Villanova basketball

In learning more about SMU football, the institution, the program, the neighborhood, the alumni...reminds me a lot of Villanova and Villanova basketball
If that's what you learned you are illiterate or too blinded by your hateful predisposition to facts, not your blind beliefs, to understand anything you haven't made up in your little mind. It sad. maybe someday you will grow, but it seems unlikely given all the folks here who tried to educate you but alas your ignorance is your bliss.

• Love
Reactions: FireballZ
Who the hell are these boosters and how do we get some of them?
If you know you know.

th

If that's what you learned you are illiterate or too blinded by your hateful predisposition to facts, not your blind beliefs, to understand anything you haven't made up in your little mind. It sad. maybe someday you will grow, but it seems unlikely given all the folks here who tried to educate you but alas your ignorance is your bliss.
I know everyone likes to dunk on SMF, but is it warranted here? Both are smaller institutions with strong academics that punch above their weight when it comes to athletics and donor support. It’s not an apples-to-apples comparison, but I can see where he’s going with it.

Edit: I’m also getting strong “Billy Madison” vibes here

They sure cared when the Pony Express was as riding.

Wait, what?

Wait, what?
So right now, the plan for Olympic sports is for existing ACC schools to play at SMU’s campus whenever they have a road game against Cal or Stanford (central location, DFW). That article alludes to expanding on this plan in some form, potentially with other events. I’m not sure whether that means the ACC MBB Tournament or something else altogether.

So right now, the plan for Olympic sports is for existing ACC schools to play at SMU’s campus whenever they have a road game against Cal or Stanford (central location, DFW). That article alludes to expanding on this plan in some form, potentially with other events. I’m not sure whether that means the ACC MBB Tournament or something else altogether.

Cal and Stanford arent playing any home games in the Olympic sports? I doubt that. What it may mean is like when Stanford soccer plays at SMU on Friday, they may stick around and play a "home game" vs Pitt at SMU's field on Monday. Then return to Palo Alto and play Syracuse on Friday and Wake on Monday.

Are you drunk or something? I am not sure how my comparison of SMU football to Villanova basketball brought out such vitriol.

Cal and Stanford arent playing any home games in the Olympic sports? I doubt that. What it may mean is like when Stanford soccer plays at SMU on Friday, they may stick around and play a "home game" vs Pitt at SMU's field on Monday. Then return to Palo Alto and play Syracuse on Friday and Wake on Monday.
Yeah, that could be it. I’m sure there’s a lot of moving pieces, but I know they mentioned something along the lines of SMU being a neutral site location for at least some Olympic sports competitions.

I think it's going to be something like Stanford, Pitt and Syracuse all send their soccer teams to SMU, and on Thursday Pitt plays Stanford while Syracuse plays SMU, and then they all stick around and on Sunday Pitt plays SMU while Syracuse plays Stanford. Then a couple weeks later it's Cal, Miami and North Carolina and they do something similar.

SMU took it to an all new level though. I have a friend that played with Stopperich and was recruited by SMU. He used to tell me it was off the charts. My friend ended up playing for '81 Clemson the team that one the NC

Reactions: TD_6082
SMU took it to an all new level though. I have a friend that played with Stopperich and was recruited by SMU. He used to tell me it was off the charts. My friend ended up playing for '81 Clemson the team that one the NC

I said this not too long ago, I think people forget what SMU actually got in trouble for.

SMU's original probation was because members of the Board of Trustees were paying players. Not fans. Not boosters. Members (plural) of their Board of Trustees. So after they get their probation these Board of Trustee members get together to talk about what they should do about the probation. And they decided that since they promised all those players that money that it just wouldn't be fair to stop paying them. After all, they promised them. So they continued right on paying the players. And they got caught again.

This wasn't a case where the school could claim some level of deniability, "well we simply did not know what those rogue boosters were doing behind our backs." This was the people actually running the school who got caught paying players, and even after they got caught and put on probabtion they never stopped paying them.

If you are talking about this kind of scandal (as opposed to something like what went on up at Penn State), what happened at SMU is literally as bad as it could possibly be.

It’s actually a pretty damn good comparison if you ask me SMF.

I was taken back by the wealth of SMU donors. I know there is Texas oil money but is every smaller D1 TX school like this? I compared them to Nova bball and while Nova has some rich alums, they cant compare. Few D1 schools can, it seems. Someone said they are called Southern Millionaires University down there. I just had no idea of that culture. And the neighborhood seems rich too like Villanova/Radnor, which is the wealthiest area in PA.

Yep. SMU was arrogant and sloppy about it for sure, but it’s main ‘offense’ was becoming too much of a threat to Texas, OK and TAM.

As others have pointed out, all the Texas and Oklahoma schools have tremendously wealthy alum. Most rotate through the ranks of school trustees. And they are playing players. The same things SMU did to get busted, but they are smart enough to put a layer between them and the actual payouts,

But more importantly, they are Texas, Oklahoma and TAM, so they don’t get touched. It’s how things go. If Pitt had the Sandusky scandal (PSU), or an entire fake school so that revenue athletes could play without bothering with academic (UNC), Pitt would have immediately gotten the NCAA Death penalty.

Speaking of predisposition….had this post drafted and queued didja?

Are you drunk or something? I am not sure how my comparison of SMU football to Villanova basketball brought out such vitriol.
Your post shows for the 40,000 or so times your total ignorance. And calling someone drunk is a violation of the site rules which of course you don't care about. Keep being yourself It makes all the other posters look intelligent.

I said this not too long ago, I think people forget what SMU actually got in trouble for.

SMU's original probation was because members of the Board of Trustees were paying players. Not fans. Not boosters. Members (plural) of their Board of Trustees. So after they get their probation these Board of Trustee members get together to talk about what they should do about the probation. And they decided that since they promised all those players that money that it just wouldn't be fair to stop paying them. After all, they promised them. So they continued right on paying the players. And they got caught again.

This wasn't a case where the school could claim some level of deniability, "well we simply did not know what those rogue boosters were doing behind our backs." This was the people actually running the school who got caught paying players, and even after they got caught and put on probabtion they never stopped paying them.

If you are talking about this kind of scandal (as opposed to something like what went on up at Penn State), what happened at SMU is literally as bad as it could possibly be.
As if that wasn't bad enough, they were so arrogant about it that they bragged about what they were doing when they went out to the bars.

Your post shows for the 40,000 or so times your total ignorance. And calling someone drunk is a violation of the site rules which of course you don't care about. Keep being yourself It makes all the other posters look intelligent.

I was wondering where Goldbergfan went. My stalker is back! I am sorry that my SMU/Villanova comparison deeply offended you.

As if that wasn't bad enough, they were so arrogant about it that they bragged about what they were doing when they went out to the bars.
😂. Typical.

Anyone remember the infamous Bama booster Logan Young? After reading your post I was trying to research if any conclusions were reached about the mysterious circumstances regarding his death and came across this gem:

The murder of Alabama booster Logan Young brought out this reaction from his long-time rival in Memphis, a Tennessee booster named Roy Adams:

"I have mixed feelings," Adams told The Birmingham News. "The last conversation I had with Logan Young, he was obviously under the influence of alcohol. He called me late one night and said he spent more money on football coaches and players than a lot of people do on racehorses, (but) the one thing he regretted more in his life was the $100 he spent on the flowers for my mother's funeral.

"My mother was a saint. The Good Book says to forgive, but it's hard to forget when somebody says something that mean about your mother."

Touching.

Meanwhile, Young's son was detained for questioning, but maintains his innocence, reports The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal. Logan Young III was arrested in 1998 at Memphis International Airport after police said they caught him coming off a plane with wooden toy alligators stuffed with hashish, marijuana and hallucinogenic mushrooms.

The obvious evidence is they’re committed to being all in. I love it. Potential diamond in the rough for sure. Like I’ve said in many posts you have to adapt or die.

Anyone catch the subtle jabs SMU is throwing at the Big 12. Their Board of Trustees Chairman said at the presser that they will be the only Metroplex team in a Power 3 conference. Rhett Lashlee said the same thing the other day

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT