ADVERTISEMENT

So many good players left in the portal

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
A little jealous that Pitt has so many returning players. We need to add 2 more high level portal dudes. We need a starting 4 for Hinson. If it cant be Thiero, there is plenty out there.

PG - Lowe
SG - Leggett
SF - Dunn
PF - Portal
C - Corhen

Bench
Austin
GDG
Cummings
Portal
Jorge
Kante
Barnes

Redshirt
Ndiaye

We can sell a starting position to a 4. We can also sell the chance to compete with Dunn to be a starter at a wing. And there's so many guys left, I'm not sure the money is going to be there for these guys as rosters fill up. For example, lets say Greg Elliot is in this year's class and is uncommitted on May 25. What's the rate going to be for a guy like that as everyone else has already broken the bank for other transfers?

A little jealous that Pitt has so many returning players. We need to add 2 more high level portal dudes. We need a starting 4 for Hinson. If it cant be Thiero, there is plenty out there.

PG - Lowe
SG - Leggett
SF - Dunn
PF - Portal
C - Corhen

Bench
Austin
GDG
Cummings
Portal
Jorge
Kante
Barnes

Redshirt
Ndiaye

We can sell a starting position to a 4. We can also sell the chance to compete with Dunn to be a starter at a wing. And there's so many guys left, I'm not sure the money is going to be there for these guys as rosters fill up. For example, lets say Greg Elliot is in this year's class and is uncommitted on May 25. What's the rate going to be for a guy like that as everyone else has already broken the bank for other transfers?
Austin could start at the 3 if it is not a 3 guard lineup. But yes definitely still need a starting 4

Austin could start at the 3 if it is not a 3 guard lineup. But yes definitely still need a starting 4

He isnt a P5 level starter. He didnt play starter's minutes last year and we had 2 NBA guys. If he has to play starter's minutes, that isnt good

Reactions: buckage
He isnt a P5 level starter. He didnt play starter's minutes last year and we had 2 NBA guys. If he has to play starter's minutes, that isnt good
He is and he started a majority of last season. He didn't play much down the stretch and averaged 23 minutes per game while GDG averaged 18 Yes he will play more this year. I have beaten this to death, I like the twins and they both have roles on this team but I don't think GDG specifically should start. What is the alternative on the current roster? Even if they add more guys (unless it is 2 starters which is not happening) GDG is not a starter in the ACC at the 4. So if you add one guy, either way still picking between Austin and GDG to start and if you add a 4, I am starting Austin over GDG 100/100 no matter what position.

He is and he started a majority of last season. He didn't play much down the stretch and averaged 23 minutes per game while GDG averaged 18 Yes he will play more this year. I have beaten this to death, I like the twins and they both have roles on this team but I don't think GDG specifically should start. What is the alternative on the current roster? Even if they add more guys (unless it is 2 starters which is not happening) GDG is not a starter in the ACC at the 4. So if you add one guy, either way still picking between Austin and GDG to start and if you add a 4, I am starting Austin over GDG 100/100 no matter what position.

Austin would start at the 4 over GDG but neither are P5 level starters. Both are very nice bench pieces that every team needs. If one of those guys are starting, it will cost us 2-3 seed lines.

Reactions: Scasten17
Austin would start at the 4 over GDG but neither are P5 level starters. Both are very nice bench pieces that every team needs. If one of those guys are starting, it will cost us 2-3 seed lines.
I think Austin can start at this level, he is not a stud or the best option. But he can knock down a couple 3's every game, plays great defense and hustle. For the current roster agree and think it is an easy decision. But who knows depending on the last two slots. Moral of the story if you lose out on Thiero you still need another starter

If we're being realistic, Thiero probably offers awful ROI compared to what they could get for significantly cheaper. I still want him because it isn't my money, but it's probably to a point where a 4 WAR guy (throwing out a random number) is $750K more expensive than a 2.5 WAR guy because of the specific programs involved.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
He's a starter like DeGroat was a starter

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
He's a starter like DeGroat was a starter
With the current roster, he is the best choice to start whether it be the 3-4. Hopefully still add another starter. For me again I am starting Austin all day over GDG and I like the twins

I think Austin can start at this level, he is not a stud or the best option. But he can knock down a couple 3's every game, plays great defense and hustle. For the current roster agree and think it is an easy decision. But who knows depending on the last two slots. Moral of the story if you lose out on Thiero you still need another starter

Well, yea, he can start at this level but only by default because there's no better players. I dont mean to knock him. I like him. He's a good player. But we are going to win fewer games if he is starting compared to a good portal dude.

Austin may end up starting at the 4, but that will only mean they struck out on other options. I think it's basically what SMF posted in Lowe, Leggett, Dunn, Corhen and someone (portal or Austin).

Reactions: 4upmc
With the current roster, he is the best choice to start whether it be the 3-4. Hopefully still add another starter. For me again I am starting Austin all day over GDG and I like the twins
Agreed. I think the point is we need to recruit a better player.

Austin may end up starting at the 4, but that will only mean they struck out on other options. I think it's basically what SMF posted in Lowe, Leggett, Dunn, Corhen and someone (portal or Austin).
Even if they don't strike out with other options either him and/or GDG are starting at the 3/4 with Corhen at the 5

Well, yea, he can start at this level but only by default because there's no better players. I dont mean to knock him. I like him. He's a good player. But we are going to win fewer games if he is starting compared to a good portal dude.
He is starting even with a good portal dude you said it yourself. He is a serviceable 3, sure there are better options. But another reason to add more in the portal!

Agreed. I think the point is we need to recruit a better player.
Thiero would have been a huge get! But nice a great positional fit for this team but they would have made it work. But yes I agree this team needs a starter at the 4 who can shoot. Still needs out there assuming we miss on Thiero

Even if they don't strike out with other options either him and/or GDG are starting at the 3/4 with Corhen at the 5
I don't think anyone on the current roster is starting over Leggett or Dunn at the 2 & 3. The only spot for those guys to start would be the 4.

I don't think anyone on the current roster is starting over Leggett or Dunn at the 2 & 3. The only spot for those guys to start would be the 4.
Right, that would be the only other option, a three guard lineup. Rumors early in the offseason Leggett would still come off the bench. But depending on who else they add it is very feasible those 3 start

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Right, that would be the only other option, a three guard lineup. Rumors early in the offseason Leggett would still come off the bench. But depending on who else they add it is very feasible those 3 start

To be clear, when I say "starting," I mean starter's minutes. Perhaps Austin starts, but if he plays starter's minutes, we wont be as good as if we landed a good portal 4.

We have 4 clear P5 starters. Austin and GDG arent P5 starters.

To be clear, when I say "starting," I mean starter's minutes. Perhaps Austin starts, but if he plays starter's minutes, we wont be as good as if we landed a good portal 4.

We have 4 clear P5 starters. Austin and GDG arent P5 starters.
I guess my point is unless it is a 3 guard lineup even if we add a 4 Austin should still start IMO. I definitely agree about GDG. Again I think Austin is serviceable and can start. I get what you mean by minutes and like last year he could get less minutes at the end of the game with other combos of the lineup or hot hand or matchups

I guess my point is unless it is a 3 guard lineup even if we add a 4 Austin should still start IMO. I definitely agree about GDG. Again I think Austin is serviceable and can start. I get what you mean by minutes and like last year he could get less minutes at the end of the game with other combos of the lineup or hot hand or matchups

Who does Austin play starter's minutes over? Dunn? Dunn had much better numbers in the American than Austin had in the Big South. Their numbers were similar this past year but Dunn was on a 1 seed so couldnt play as much as if he were on a bubble team.

Who does Austin play starter's minutes over? Dunn? Dunn had much better numbers in the American than Austin had in the Big South. Their numbers were similar this past year but Dunn was on a 1 seed so couldnt play as much as if he were on a bubble team.
If it is not a 3 guard lineup I said, Austin is starting and should be over GDG and others. Austin can start.

Counting the transfers Pitt added and the incoming recruits, Pitt has 11 scholarship players & room for 2 more.
4 guards:
Jaland Lowe
Ish Leggett
Damian Dunn
Brandin Cummings
7 forwards:
Zack Austin
Guillermo Diaz-Graham
Jorge Diaz-Graham
Cam Corhen
Marlon Barnes
Papa Kante
Amdy Ndiaye

Santos returned to Dayton. At this point pony up for one more shooter and give Jeffress the open ship for role model purposes. Either way, they are 8 solid deep this year with whatever Barnes and JDG brings to get possibly 10 man rotation baring no one else joining. Staff is probably confident in Cummings to carry 3pt shooting drop off. Corhen/Kante likely to be upgrade of Fede. Maybe JDG hits 35 pt from 3. I feel like Austin’s game takes a step forward with better 5s on team.

Santos returned to Dayton. At this point pony up for one more shooter and give Jeffress the open ship for role model purposes. Either way, they are 8 solid deep this year with whatever Barnes and JDG brings to get possibly 10 man rotation baring no one else joining. Staff is probably confident in Cummings to carry 3pt shooting drop off. Corhen/Kante likely to be upgrade of Fede. Maybe JDG hits 35 pt from 3. I feel like Austin’s game takes a step forward with better 5s on team.

Wouldn't mind Jeffress as the 12th or 13th man but would he want that? He can play a lot at a low major. We definitely do need a shooter though.

Wouldn't mind Jeffress as the 12th or 13th man but would he want that? He can play a lot at a low major. We definitely do need a shooter though.
Does Hopkins have a hoop team? I’m guessing they are D3…and that’s the place for Will.

Absolutely

It just dawned on me. Uh....Mercyhurst? They are D1 now. The NEC is a level where I think he can be an all-league type player. He is from there and his dad is a professor there. Mercyhurst may not be a prestigious academic institution but its not bad. Seems perfect. Also, Pitt should play at Mercyhurst in its first ever D1 game....but at that main Erie hockey arena.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT